how to get a 7'6" trailer thru a 7' garage door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
Kevin,

Here's what I had done to get mine through my 7 foot door.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ies-42315.html
thats funny, I have a set of snowmobile dollies with the castors all bent up from my first attempt at parking the trailer in the garage as well.

Kevin
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 88 Cadet
I tried the snowmobile dolly as well and it sucked. The wheels don't move well. I literally took a tire to Canadian Tire, and found a matching bolt pattern on an 8" rim. It was just enough to clear the shackle bolts, and garage door. But I do plan to put in a new set of garage doors as I have an open header in my doors.
If you glued up plywood on the cross grain, it would be strong enough.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I can't fathom rolling 1500 + # on such small wheels. The 16" steel rims rolled fine, but were susceptable to small pebbles, transition from asphalt to cement, etc because the steel does not give.

I just now recalled something I had thought of last year, roll the steel wheels on wood 2 × 4's or 4 ×4's whatever works, using the boards like railroad tracks.

I rolled it by hand for three reasons:

1. I wanted the tongue in the garage first.

2. Raising the hitch to the level of the TV would substantially raise that end of the trailer and raise it all along its length.

3. Moving by hand allows for much more control than trying to move with a bulky and powerful TV which could easily cause running into something.

I held the garage door above the door opening by clamping a vise grip on the track.

I have been thinking of getting a couple of pulleys and using my 50' rope. Pulleys would multiply my hand pulling enough to make it easier to move. The comealong works fine, but is very slow, not a bad thing.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 88 Cadet
I was at an RV store the other day and saw these boggy wheels you attach to the rear bumper so that you don't bury your bumper when backing up. I got to thinking that maybe these would work? About a 4" tire might be the right size.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Vehicle dolleys

I just fit our Trillium into the garage. I was going to build my own caster system, but then I found a pair of vehicle dolleys at Harbor Freight for $50 for the pair (1000lb capacity each). I screwed a couple of boards together to distribute the load over the frame and to give about 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance between the bracket on the axle and the floor. This gave me about 2 inches of clearance between the top of the trailer and the garage door frame.

Although the trailer pushed into the garage nice and easy, it is important to note that you need to have some type of wheel on the tongue to move the trailer around since there is no "pivot" point at the wheels (which normally makes it easy to lift the tongue). I had a small floor jack that I used for this.

-Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
P8090378_1.jpg  
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote