?how to get rid of insecticide smell under sink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
the topic on cleaning doesn't cover my problem. the casita came from south florida and there were ants in the tall closet when i picked it up. there was a terrible smell of some strong insecticide under the sink but no ants anywhere except wrapped up in the cover which was folded in the closet. the cover was removed, and the ants exiled but the smell persists even after 4 months. i have tried blowing it out with the fan but think i need to use something mildly chemical. i have asthma and cannot use anything strong. any ideas?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe / 2006 Tundra V8
Quote:
the topic on cleaning doesn't cover my problem. the casita came from south florida and there were ants in the tall closet when i picked it up. there was a terrible smell of some strong insecticide under the sink but no ants anywhere except wrapped up in the cover which was folded in the closet. the cover was removed, and the ants exiled but the smell persists even after 4 months. i have tried blowing it out with the fan but think i need to use something mildly chemical. i have asthma and cannot use anything strong. any ideas?
Get activated charcoal from the fish store. Place in pans and put it in your cabinets. It will absorb the odors.
Brenda Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a link to a suggestion from Taylor Kissinger about how to deal with odors: Apple cider vinegar controlls odors
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The best thing that I have found (in other applications) is to fill the cabinet with lightly crumpled newspapers and close the doors. Leave it that way while in storage. Remove for camping and put in a fresh batch when you return.

This ALWAYS worked with our coolers whose plastic absorbed some of the most oders.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #5

all these suggestions sound good

i think i will use a sprayer with apple cider vinegar (so i get it into the carpet which i think is most of the problem) fill the space with crumpled newspaper and put activated charcoal inside before i close the door.

thanks all, keep those suggestions coming though. it is a REALLY awful smell. alice
Old 06-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Don't put anything on it that will give ants something to forrage on.

Home depot sells a packet of stuff, back by the bathroom, that eliminates smells.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Baking soda spread on something open like a plate will also absorb odors.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The best thing that I have found (in other applications) is to fill the cabinet with lightly crumpled newspapers and close the doors. Leave it that way while in storage. Remove for camping and put in a fresh batch when you return.

This ALWAYS worked with our coolers whose plastic absorbed some of the most oders.
Have you cleaned the carpets, maybe with some professional cleaning solution?

I THINK Taylor's suggestion was to put the vinegar in an open top container rather than spray on anything....or maybe it was soak some cotton balls with vinegar and leaving those laying around on plates..or something? Whatever...

Let us know how it works out and whatever you ended up using...inquiring minds want to know.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
If my Scamp had that problem, I would take everything out of the cabinet and paint it with a good floor enamel. I think that would encapsulate it.

On a former trailer, an Avion, I was surprised one early summer to find a yellow jacket's nest in one of the cabinets over the front table. I had no choice but to spray it. What a mess!!!

Luckily we weren't going to use the trailer until late summer, but even then with a fan going for several months, there was still the smell of the poison. A spray can of enamel to the inside of the cabinet took care of the problem.

I wish I had this forum at that time. Perhaps one of the previous suggestions would have worked better.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
An industrial strength ozone generator would almost certainly work, and would leave NO chemical residue. (I have chemical sensitivities, so I'm up on this stuff ) These units are used to turn hotel "smoking" rooms into "non-smoking" rooms. They are also used in fire and mold remediation.

These are not the same thing that you see in conjunction with air filters--these are much stronger and cost several hundred dollars to buy, but you can rent them for about $25/day if you shop around, and a day is all you need. They generate very concentrated ozone; you have to vacate the premises while it's in use, but once you air the ozone out, there is no residue at all, as ozone is just tri-molecular oxygen gas. (Call a mold or fire remediation outfit from the yellow pages.) Or, if you're near Bend, Oregon you're welcome to borrow mine!
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #11

gee, everyone, now i feel guilty that i did not do anything yet about the smell. it has rained all weekend and i just haven't gotten out to the casita to try this stuff.

okay, i admit that i was out on the boat for awhile.

loren, there is carpet under the cabinet, i don't think i will paint that but maybe the rest of it?

leslie, an ozone generator??? sounds drastic, but maybe it would work. as far as finding one nearby, i live in a town with neither a supermarket nor a gas station, it would be from another state if i rent one. btw, i have never found that motels can get the stink of cigarettes out of their non-smoking rooms. that's why i have the casita, so i don't have to go into any of those disgusting places.