how to glue reflextix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 72 boler
New York
how to glue reflextix

Was wondering how you guys glue reflextix to the fiberglass?? and other stuff to the reflextix
Davidmulvaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
3M spray adhesive.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
And the good aluminum HVAC tape to join it to other pieces of Reflectrix or whatever suits your fancy
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I used discount bathroom shower stall caulk. Worked great and still holding after a solid week of 100 degree temps.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I was a firm believer in 3M 90, the stickiest retail product that they make. But I've learned from my local custom car interiors shop that the spray glues "re-activate" when heated. So insulation or fabric on a hot roof and/or walls could sag under certain conditions. The preferred solution? Good old' contact cement, properly applied and handled, of course.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
I was a firm believer in 3M 90, the stickiest retail product that they make. But I've learned from my local custom car interiors shop that the spray glues "re-activate" when heated. So insulation or fabric on a hot roof and/or walls could sag under certain conditions. The preferred solution? Good old' contact cement, properly applied and handled, of course.

I agree here...and then we add perimeter construction glue with squiggles in the center, just before hanging. Takes good timing and maybe another set of hands, but we have had no failures to this point.
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Getting ready to tackle this as well. Can anyone recommend a brand/type/part number of contact cement that will withstand the high temps? I think I read on this forum that the water based type may work better than the others. I also think it was Robert J that said he painted the fiberglass first with an epoxy paint/primer. Not sure if that is necessary or not. We really appreciate all the suggestions. Norm and Kathrine.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Sorry, can't speak to the efficacy of the water-based cement. I'm now using the standard oil-based Dap/Weldwood product, again based upon the recommendation of my interiors guy.

I don't think painting the inner shell is necessary, if you have a good, clean and smooth surface with which to work. Frankly, I paint mine first to help me locate any possible problem areas, and to seal any really raw areas of fiberglass where aggressive sanding, et al, may have been required to get the old crap out of the way.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler