How to insulate Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: 17' Burro
Utah
How to insulate Trailer

I have a 84 Burro Trailer. When I originally bought it, it looked as though the previous owners had successfully insulated the trailer themselves with spray foam and foam board. Upon further inspection I have realized that there are some serious gaps in the insulation between the walls that I can't access and I am moving up to Sitka, Alaska in my trailer where the average low in the winter is 30 degrees. I have done a lot of research into spray foams and I have seen some slow rise minimal expansion stuff but I am wondering if anyone has tried it.
My other question is if some one has tried insulation on the interior of the trailer and had any success with trying to use reflectix with an air gap or foam padding like ensolite glued on the walls and covered.
My last question is if anyone has just said screw it to insulating the trailer and live in 30 degree temps with relative convert?
r.tobiaskoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp uses two layers of reflectix. Seems increasing to 4 or 6 layers wouldn't be a problem. That should get you to R 5 or 6 which will be plenty for such a small trailer volume at 30 degrees. Condensation will be a serious issue. You will need either lots of ventilation or a dehumidifier. The dehumidifier would be best and has the advantage of adding heat to your rig and the disadvantage of chaining you to shore power.

Some way to add double glazing would help a lot. I think I would try a poly film over the windows on the inside and maybe the outside too. Sitka rain may make the outside problematic.

Foam comes in two major varieties, open cell and closed. Open cell is like a sponge and soaks up water (bad), closed cell is impervious to water (good). You probally want to choose the low expansion type, depending on where you are applying it.

Good luck on your move. I hear that part of Alaska is beautiful. I've traveled 49 states, but not Alaska.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote