How to insure a FGRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
How to insure a FGRV

Howdy folks,

A Couple of quick questions:

1, Do you insure your older (15 year plus) FGRV?
2, What type of coverage do you have, Agreed value,Cash value, etc...
3, Who do you insure with and why?

I'd like to insure my 81 burro, but all of the insurance companies that I've contacted,Geico,Progressive,good Sam will gladly take my money but won't offer me a value unless I make a claim. This will be the first time I've insured a trailer so I'm not savvy to what I should expect or if I should even have it insured. Thanks much.
Receo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Contact your home owner agent.
I pay $43.00 a year. On $8500.
I had to show valve and photos in and out.
Auto, home, trailer, boat same company.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My trailer is insured as a rider on my auto policy > I think having liability coverage on a trailer is a must but collision is up to you . To me it is similar to insuring a 25 year old auto
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

Name: B
Trailer: 1982 Casita 13'
Virginia
I emailed my agent when I purchased my Casita. The following is the response I got in reference to Travelers auto insurance in the state of VA

"The trailer would be covered for the liability based off of the covered vehicle that is towing the trailer."
boley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by boley View Post
I emailed my agent when I purchased my Casita. The following is the response I got in reference to Travelers auto insurance in the state of VA

"The trailer would be covered for the liability based off of the covered vehicle that is towing the trailer."
That may be the case but tell me what happens when its not attached to the vehicle and something happens?

What happens if your at a campground and its not attached to the car and the propane tank or battery decides to blow up and it hurts a fellow camper? or it goes rolling down a hill on its own (dont laugh such incidents have been reported here more than once) and hit someones car or someones house or ran over someones child, then what?

I also know if my home was to burn down and the trailer which is in my garage went with it that my home insurance will not cover the trailer as its has wheels and is considered a licensed vehicle. Have to buy separate insurance for the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #6

Name: B
Trailer: 1982 Casita 13'
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That may be the case but tell me what happens when its not attached to the vehicle and something happens?
Then I pay to fix it.

As far as the other scenarios you presented . . . well there are probably a hundred things in your home or camper that could cause similar havok. Do you have a separate liability policy for each of them? Your bicycle, cause you could hit somebody with it. What about a small gasoline can, just in case something goes wrong at the pump. Imagine the damage an errant bowling ball could cause - either at the lanes or if it rolled over a hill.

Sure you can probably find someone to write an umbrella policy to cover the above but its not going to be cheap. And you better read the policy closely to see what exclusions are (there will be a lot).
boley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Your auto ins usually only covers liability and not collision damage to the trailer, ask your agent.

Some ins co's will write "Stated Value" for collision, but you have to be able to prove actual value at the time of loss. I collect ads of similar trailers for sale, usually from the summer when prices are higher, just in case they are needed later on. Otherwise most ins co's will stick with either: a) NADA or other values, which are way out of line for trailers over about 5 years old, or b) Local ads for "similar" trailers, and they don't want to see the difference between values for a 15 y.o. Scamp and a 15 y.o. sticky.

If you can't get a good answer out of your current agent it may be time to look for another Ins Company.

I have Allstate and have never had a problem with getting stated value ins on my RV's in CA, or a satisfactory payout when my Corvette was stolen and totaled some years back. Disclaimer; I have been an Allstate customer for almost 50 years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Some think their Homeowners Ins. will cover the trailer if damaged in their yard. In Va. If it can be licensed it is considered a motor vehicle and it must have its own motor vehicle policy for comprehensive or collision coverage. If a tree falls in your yard and crushes your trailer homeowners ins. will not cover it.
Good Sam's covers older trailers for a fairly reasonable rate and you get $3K on your contents. With some older trailers your stuff could be worth as much as the trailer.
"Not connected with Good Sam's."
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Then I pay to fix it.

As far as the other scenarios you presented . . . well there are probably a hundred things in your home or camper that could cause similar havok. Do you have a separate liability policy for each of them?

Yup there are many things that can go wrong in life and that is why I have separate liability insurance to cover me for pretty well all of what you have listed - its called voluntary liability insurance and it is included with most homeowners insurance policies.

Only problem is as has been mentioned as a trailer is considered a vehicle it is not covered under a homeowners policy. Which is why here it is mandatory for the trailer to have its own liability policy.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The question of what the homeowners policy covers can very from policy to policy as well as state to state. Best bet is to contact your agent with some "What If" questions.

In my case, if a tree falls on my trailer the trailers collision policy covers first and the homeowners ins picks up the deductible. If it had a trailer that didn't have collision, and a tree fell on it, the homeowners would cover, but there would still be a deductible to pay.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I think having liability coverage on a trailer is a must but collision is up to you.
Quote:
... in the state of VA:

I personally don't carry a separate policy on my trailers. Like in Virginia, California extends liability coverage from the insured tow vehicle to the trailer while they are connected. I don't want to jump through all the hoops necessary to purchase an adequate trailer comprehensive/collision policy. My exposure to risk motivates me to be observant, and behave in a proactive preventative way.
But each individual must make their own determination how much risk they feel comfortable assuming on their own (a.k.a. "Self insuring") vs. their overall wealth and ability to pay for:
  • damage to their own property
  • Premiums on Insurance Policies
My analysis is that while Carol's reports of mishaps are real, what is my risk of those things happening to me?
This is why I am Obsessive-Compulsive about following my checklists. It mitigates my risk of causing mishap.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Yup there are many things that can go wrong in life and that is why I have separate liability insurance to cover me for pretty well all of what you have listed - its called voluntary liability insurance and it is included with most homeowners insurance policies.

Only problem is as has been mentioned as a trailer is considered a vehicle it is not covered under a homeowners policy. Which is why here it is mandatory for the trailer to have its own liability policy.
I wish more people thought and acted as Carol does . I would not then have to pay the exorbitant fees to my insurance company to cover me because of uninsured motorists ,. Too many people try to save "their" money on insurance by passing the costs onto others IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I wish more people thought and acted as Carol does . I would not then have to pay the exorbitant fees to my insurance company to cover me because of uninsured motorists ,. Too many people try to save "their" money on insurance by passing the costs onto others IMHO
Well Steve I cant take total credit for it our Provincial Government makes it mandatory for all trailers & cars to carry their own liability insurance, as well as under insured protection if you get hit by someone without insurance. In addition to medical coverage for those you may hurt. Cost for the minimum requirement is well under a $100 per year for my trailer.

Sadly being older and having had a few life experiences of my own and coming from a large family that have also had not so great life experiences in regards to incidents that leave people asking "What were the odds of that ever happening?" which have resulted in injury and death I am well aware of what type of funds & judgements the courts will and can hand out. Just not worth not paying the hundred dollars or less it costs each year extra to make sure I never loose everything I have worked way to long and hard to acquire.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
What insurance cost varies alot by state and individual (credit rating or driving record) or even location in a state. Car theft insurance is sky high in Detroit, much lower in some parts of the state.

We have comp (damage) on our camper for the simple reason that the added cost is low relative to what it would cost to replace. YMMV.

I like the suggestion/idea of collecting prices for actual sales of older ones. Gonna do that. Would make it much easier to value a trailer as old as ours is if there was a claim.

Lots of people have riders added to their homeowners insurance to specify elevated value of certain items. Not much different that what Carol describes. Sometimes one pays a bit more, other times it's simply a formal agreement that one has these items of extra value covered by the policy.

People with an especially extensive home workshop might have a rider for tools. Photographers on equipment, firearms or jewelry are also sometimes specified in homeowner policies due to being especially high given the "typical" value of home contents.

If one stores a camper in the garage it would be worth having that discussion with your homeowners insurance company. After all for most of us our campers are stored more time than they are on the road.

On liability at a park when not connected. I'm going to ask about that, true it's a small risk but if my little camper goes up in smoke next to a $150,000 motor home I'm using for shade be good to have insurance. Should be cheap since the risk exposure is so small.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #15

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
When I had the trailer I called my agent and told her what I paid for it. The rate was based on value. If you want, I'll DM you my agent's info.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

What happens if your at a campground and its not attached to the car and the propane tank or battery decides to blow up and it hurts a fellow camper? or it goes rolling down a hill on its own (dont laugh such incidents have been reported here more than once) and hit someones car or someones house or ran over someones child, then what?

I also know if my home was to burn down and the trailer which is in my garage went with it that my home insurance will not cover the trailer as its has wheels and is considered a licensed vehicle. Have to buy separate insurance for the trailer.
Or what if it was picked up by a tornado and landed on a wicked witch?
Of course there may just be a reward (maybe ruby slippers..."but we have to verify it legally").
All that and no Corpus Delicti for evidence.
There may be a Strawman argument in there somewhere.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Our policy is with Foremost, who (in addition to other items) lists that they cover recreational vehicles / campers. The policy covers damage, towing, etc. Foremost Insurance Group - Offering Insurance for a Wide Variety of Special Items - Automobile, Mobile Home, Home, Motorcycle, Motor Home, boat, wave runner, jet ski, snowmobile

I'm sure they will write whatever you want into a policy. Check with them for details.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My insurance is redundant trailers. The trailer that I use is stuck in Ontario, but I have others that will take it's place.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote