How to make my bed more comfortable.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone,

I just can't really get too comfortable in my 13ft scamp dinette bed. I am not really short, but not tall enought to not fit. I have 2 down comforters, along with a egg crate foam thing. But even with all that it still seems to be quite hard. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy, such as a foam mattress or something and then cut to fit...??

I am just wanting to be picky I suppose, along with just having something to talk about to let me think of camping while the winter season passes....

Thanks everyone, for all the great laughs, and good info I have needed in the past. I guess, what can we say... All of us great people who own the eggs just thing alike... hahaha

Thanks, Nick
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This might work.
Go to an outdoor store and get a blue foam sleeping pad. Spend the next 10 nights sleeping on the patio in your sleeping bag with the only mattress the blue foam pad.

It won't change the Scamp cushions, but they'll sure feel good in comparison.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We felt the same way about the cushions in our Scamp so I bought a 1" memory foam topper on Ebay (seller's name is Mrs. Foam.) It was an irregular & I only had to pay a little over $30 for it. I traced the cushions on the topper & cut it to fit. The bed is so much more comfortable now!

BTW, beware of low-priced "memory foam" sold at stores like Target. We bought one there and it just felt like regular foam. What a ripoff! We like the one from Mrs. Foam so much that we bought another one for our bed at home. I can only imagine how a 2" memory foam topper would feel!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Actually, I bought one of the "low cost" foam pads from Target and was quite comfortable. Went back, bought one more and cut it half for the bunks. They were both the full size, 1 1/2 inch. May not be the real thing, but for the price not bad for comfort. Beats the dinette cushions that kept coming apart under me. I sleep alot better, and that is what really matters.
Ken & Sherry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Nick; I started a thread a while back about memory foam and how it greatly improved the dinette bed in my 13ft Boler
Go here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26282
I have never tried to link to another discussion before so I hope it works but if not here is what I did and it made a 100% improvement int he sleep I got.
Use the cushions as usual then I got the 2 inch thick memory foam from Wall*Mart for $59 they had a cheaper one and it was not real memory foam and others have tried this with not good results.
Then and I think this is important I had the wife put a flannel sheet over the whole business tucking it as far under as she can.
This keeps the whole layered effect as one mattress so you do not feel as though your falling out of the bed when near the outside edge.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Very easy solution to " make my bed more comfortable"... make sure my wife is in it!!! We have shared same for 36 yrs. At home we use a Scandanavian style bed...6" solid foam mattress on wooden slats... only replaced the matt. once, so 4" foam in the "Silver Billit" is just like home...only better...cause we're CAMPING We did add 2" waffle toppers to both beds to soften the aches and pains of age...OURS
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

We have posted our perfect solution to this wrinkle in the past, but no-one seems to have paid it any atttention.

We place our self-inflating "Thermarest" individual mattresses, (made in Seattle, WA and I assume available at all upscale outdoor stores) from our tenting days, on top of the standard foam cushions. The mattresses alone smooth out lumpy tent floors -- so on top of foam on top of smooth boards it is heavenly. And, it is compact enough to fit two, side by each, in our 13' boler.

We also place a thin "bedboard", about 6" wide, and from closet to sink walls, over the lip of the table, to keep me rolled inward during the night.

Des & Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help.... Once I got to looking I realized someone else had talked about it, but in a different place. So sorry for the repeat question.

I will definitly go out to the good ol' wally world soon and see what they have to offer, and problebly get one similar to what ya'll have .....

Thanks!
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Perhaps this topic needs t be renamed to "Have Memory Foam . . . Will Travel."
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
I had the same issues with our bed and was just in a 'tizzy' about our first camping/only camping trip this past October as we just purchased our 'egg' in September. I'm a freak about getting good sleep, and after a 'camp-out' / 'test run' in the driveway and finding just the cushions and the memory foam way too hard...here's what we ended up with.

1) Original cushions

2) Wal-Mart memory foam (cut to size with the electric knife idea) much better than having the corners crush in on you!

3) 2 inexpensive egg crate foam toppers (cut to size with the electric knife idea) stacked on top of the memory foam

4) Mattress pad cover to hold it all together tucked under the cushions.

Then;

A sleeping bag under us, and a sleeping bag in a duvet cover (to match our trailer curtains) to cover us. Get up in the morning, pull the duvet up, put the pillows and pillow shams back, and the bed is easily made.

Every night of our 4 day camping trip, we'd turn-in around 11pm. The bed was sooo cozy and comfortable, the 'egg' so comfortable and quiet (with the roof a/c on low) we were suprised when 10am the following morning rolled around (at home we're up and out the door on the way to work by 7am).

PS - speaking of comfortable - my husband and I went to Cabela's today and picked up 2 chaise lounge chairs. Were $129.00, on sale for $64.00 ( For the wide chairs - $49 for the regular chairs) Now we'll be napping by the camp fire in cozy comfort! (The chaise lounge chair deals are only good at the store, not in the internet or catalog orders...worth the 2 hour drive for us to pick them up!) Counting the days til the egg hatches from the storage garage and we can start enjoying her again!!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Hi: Very easy solution to " make my bed more comfortable"... make sure my wife is in it!!! We have shared same for 36 yrs. At home we use a Scandanavian style bed...6" solid foam mattress on wooden slats... only replaced the matt. once, so 4" foam in the "Silver Billit" is just like home...only better...cause we're CAMPING We did add 2" waffle toppers to both beds to soften the aches and pains of age...OURS
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Alf....Don't even go there...I wondered "out loud" about your solution to "make my bed more comfy" and I got my wish...

Ever seen a 260# / 5 foot 11 inch man try and sleep on the front bunk of a 13ft Boler?

"NOT COMFORTABLE AT ALL"

Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Ditto Des Nolan's technique using thermarest camping pads and a little bed board. If you need to use your table during the day, that's the way to go. The pads take up very little storage space, and at night really even out the cushions, plus keep moisture away.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #13

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
Although many people like the memory foam, we personally don't care for it. Instead we put down a feather bed on top of our Scamp mattress. That, along with a down comforter, is like sleeping in a cloud. It also adds extra warmth in the cold, and breathes well in summer. Packs easily also!
Good luck,
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote