How to open Casita stove vent? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
How to open Casita stove vent?

This is probably a dumb question, but I have not been able to open the outside vent that the stove fan blows out of. It has two little pieces of plastic, that look like locks, but I'm afraid to force them in any direction. They look like they could break. Anyone know how to open the vent?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1660a.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	86710
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
On mine they pivot to the side off of the outside flapper/door. The pin that they pivot on is at the top of the two little levers. But then, my outside stove vent doesn't look like your picture.

There is also a sort of spring like thing inside the trailer, along the right side of the inside vent box (inside the hood but outside the grease trap) that needs to be pulled out to release the internal damper. Both need to open for the hood to operate properly.

I only mention this because some people don't know about the inside thingy.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
They do open just like they appear they should by pulling the tabs towards you, but sometimes it takes quite a bit of force. The tabs are pretty sturdy. Once unlatched the air from the fan keeps it open when it's running.

Steve.... I never knew about the internal damper.... Good call! The instructions are located right next to it. Mine was open : )
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you are concerned about breaking the tabs when you turn them you might benefit from spraying the area around the tabs with soapy water to lubricate them. If they have not been turned in a long tome they might be stuck a little.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
My outside vent is identicle to yours. Yes they are very tight and I had the same concern as you regarding breaking the tabs but was assured by Casita that you will not break them. So far I haven't but give me time

As mentioned, they pop out towards you. I use my thumb. I hadn't thought about lubricating them but that may be worth a shot. I thought they would "break-in" over time but a year latter they're still pretty stiff.

Good luck!
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Thanks for all the tips, the Casita people called me back, they said to push the tabs UP and rotate the bottom of the tab AWAY from the Casita's body. So I will try that. That explains why pulling on them didn't work, lol.

I can spray some graphite WD-40 on it. Or something non-flammable since it is a stove vent.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
The clips are tight but get looser with use. Using spray may make them slippery. Use your thumbs, as someone mentioned. They also are easier to open on warmer days - another reason to stay south, LOL.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita