how to price Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Question how to price Scamp

Hi,

We are thinking of selling our 13' project Scamp. How do we go about valuing it?

Thanks,
Tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
Hi,

We are thinking of selling our 13' project Scamp. How do we go about valuing it?

Thanks,
Tonnie
Check the for sale thread and the sold thread for comparisons and consider your condition ,time of year,ease of travel to see it as many will travel long distance. A picture and model year would help and paperwork/ ownership will make a big difference.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look in NADA.com
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It has been posted on this forum dozens of times, that NADA gives low values for fiberglass trailers because they base their quotes on stick-built trailers ( which are numerous ), not on eggs.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Then see how much Good Sam insurance will insure it for.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Good Sam will probably refer to NADA and give you a low-ball number. Which is why people suggest searching the for sale sections of RV forums to get an idea of what a trailer may sell for ( note, MAY ).
Old 08-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

Florida
Thanks!

Thank you both for weighing in...

Floyd has contacted me and given me lots of good advice... THANKS FLOYD!
Old 08-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

The value is what a seller is willing to take and a buyer is willing to spend.
NADA will give you a starting point, low yes, but a starting point provided you give honest answers to its condition.

If you have a EBAY account you can see what similar campers have sold for on their site.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Well, I went to EBAY and sure enough you can find out what Scamp and similar campers have sold for. You need an account to see what they actually sold for. Do not go by what the seller was asking. This should please Glenn as it is the actual selling prices.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I wonder why we don't just ask sellers to give the price they sold for when they announce that the trailer is sold. Many would probably not mind doing that as a guide for others.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
I wonder why we don't just ask sellers to give the price they sold for when they announce that the trailer is sold. Many would probably not mind doing that as a guide for others.
One reason is privacy, since the data would be reported publicly. Another is reliability: self-reported data often isn't, and sales that happen through this site are a small (and possibly skewed) sample.

But the biggest is compliance. Given the number of sellers who never report a sale, or ask how to delete the ad (thus indicating they never read the marketplace policies), I think the compliance rate would be too low to make it statistically meaningful.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not even certain what "project" means. Does it mean there's absolutely NOTHING inside where you've removed all the cabinets (and trashed them) right down to NO flooring?

What some think is a project, to others it means cleaning thoroughly (OUR dirt is cleaner than YOUR dirt) and it's still safe to tow down the road (bearings/brakes/tires and all exterior lights work). Think HARD sided tent.

So exactly what is a "project"?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
BTW: NADA mean No Accurate Description Available when it comes to all-molded-towables
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
One reason is privacy, since the data would be reported publicly. Another is reliability: self-reported data often isn't, and sales that happen through this site are a small (and possibly skewed) sample.

But the biggest is compliance. Given the number of sellers who never report a sale, or ask how to delete the ad (thus indicating they never read the marketplace policies), I think the compliance rate would be too low to make it statistically meaningful.
Anyone interested in buying or anyone who is putting one up for sale only needs a couple of sales prices to get an idea of what they are going for. They can see the year and general condition from photos and that gives them a general idea.

I know what Escapes like ours sell for and we only need a couple of sales prices to know that. Perhaps you mean the privacy of the buyers. Sellers could ask if they mind having it known. Probably most are not on this site and, therefore, they are not known anyway. It is the choice of any seller to say what price he or she settled on (if we even have the real names of the sellers, much less the buyers). You can take it as reliable or not depending upon the party, known or not.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not even certain what "project" means. Does it mean there's absolutely NOTHING inside where you've removed all the cabinets (and trashed them) right down to NO flooring?

What some think is a project, to others it means cleaning thoroughly (OUR dirt is cleaner than YOUR dirt) and it's still safe to tow down the road (bearings/brakes/tires and all exterior lights work). Think HARD sided tent.

So exactly what is a "project"?
I thought "project" meant that it was a special project that the seller worked on, and customized and transformed into a special, one-of-a-kind camper that will command a price much higher than standard models.

But the moral of the ambiguity is that condition means everything. How much you should ask is mostly dependent on the condition and any improvements made.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #16

When I see "project" trailer, I see this:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 9.38.20 AM.png  
Old 08-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #17

Florida
Thanks to all who have chimed in!

Hi All,

I was able to speak with Floyd at length and he gave me some great feedback!

Thanks so much for all the input! I am always amazed at the generousity of the people who use this site...

Tonnie

I HATE to part with it and I'm praying God will send some other means with which to pay for my dental work!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tonnie, I knew Floyd would steer you well. I remember when you first got that trailer and I know how you must feel about selling it! Do what you need to do now, and I've no doubt there's another egg waiting for you when you're ready...

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #19

Florida
Hi Donna,

In my "project", it just needs cosmetic type repairs. I also need to add a refrigerator and cooking device. I have all the fiberglass parts but not the bunk hardware. I actually have already accumulated most of what I need. I just need trim, paint, that kind of thing. It's sound and dry. I also have to figure out how in the heck to get a skull and crossbones decal off the back plastic window!

Thanks!
Tonnie
Old 08-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #20

Florida
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response... I've been looking forward to fixing this little baby up and using it for a couple of years. It's sweet you remember when I go it and how excited I was. I've been waiting for my husband to check out the systems, but after speaking with Floyd, I now know there's not much to check out. Mine is definitely the easy, screw water hose on and plug the electric in. So, I'll be checking that myself. My poor husband is just tired of fixing things...When I bought it I was told everything worked so I'm hoping that is the case.

I've been so blessed to receive Floyd's advice!

Thanks,
Tonnie

Tags
scamp