How to put windows back in? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
We started to remove the windows to see if that is where our water is coming from. We took out the big front window cleaned it, resealed, etc and put it back. Not an easy job. Is there a trick to getting them back in easily. When we were putting the window back in it kept pushing the ensolite out. We had a hard time getting all the ensolite back in under the frame. We want to do all three windows in the back of the camper now. We are concerned because the frame for the shelves in the back come down over the window frame a little. How will we get the ensolite under the frame at the top if it pushes in again? There has to be an easier way to do this. Can anyone help us?
Lenna F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
We started to remove the windows to see if that is where our water is coming from. We took out the big front window cleaned it, resealed, etc and put it back. Not an easy job. Is there a trick to getting them back in easily. When we were putting the window back in it kept pushing the ensolite out. We had a hard time getting all the ensolite back in under the frame. We want to do all three windows in the back of the camper now. We are concerned because the frame for the shelves in the back come down over the window frame a little. How will we get the ensolite under the frame at the top if it pushes in again? There has to be an easier way to do this. Can anyone help us?
I pulled out the front window on my Trillium 4500 also and it is a painfull job. I also replaced the bottom plywood section that the screws go into. My local Apple Auto Glass shop gave me some GE Silicone sealant and I sealed the rest of the windows on the outside of the mouldings. Wow what a great product. I have no more leaks and the sealant is cleas and bearely noticable.I hope this helps.

Joe
Joe Loiacono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner
If memory serves me correctly... when reinstaling... be certain to bring the top horizontal edge of the window up and into the hole first. Do not try to insert the entire window all at once.
It doesn't sound like much but... the bottom frame of the window is sloped down and away just a bit. This allows the bottom to swing down into place more easily.
Don't worry a lot about the Ensolite pushing in. Once the window is properly reinstalled it is easy to go around the inside frame with a putty knife pushing it back into place.
You may have to remove a strip of moulding along the inside bottom frame of the back window to get it out. Oh yea... don't forget to remove the window knobs.
You think this is no fun... wait until you remove the bellyband! (Another common source of leaks)
Kevin Woods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows