How to Remove Olddd Decals... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
How to Remove Olddd Decals...

Hi All - I've run into a problem that has me stymied (for the moment ). My '84 Scamp 13' has remnants of the old 4x6" & 3x8" 'Tree' decals left on the sides & rear (the 'Scamp decals & striping appear to be in fair to good condition). I've received new decals from Scamp & think I know how to put 'em on but, ain't figured out how to get the old stuff off. I've read all the threads I can find from the Google search here on the forum & most all recommend the 'heat gun/hair dryer' method & then peel. My problem is there ain't anything left to peel. The old decal remnants appear to have dried completely (crystallized??), cracked, & ain't about to come off with anything less than a sharp scraper or sander. I've been using the Red Max floor treatment to 'bring back' some shine to the non-existent 'gel-coat' of my trailer but need to get the old decals off before I can install the new ones. Anyone have any suggestions other than a sharp razor blade or a sanding block & lotsa elbow grease (I ain't averse to usin' elbow grease, just hoped there'd be a better [easier ] way)?

Here's what the old decals look like - the trees are supposed to be green with white background

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Eraser pad

http://www.amazon.com/Eraser-Pad-Pin...cm_rdp_product

or heat gun
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Check out Jeff's topic on removing stripes. If I was looking to remove decals and stripes, I'd be shopping for a rubber eraser. Looks like it "grinds" through glue and all.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pes-48054.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
There were several lines of those stick on letters on my Scamp when I bought it, with the p.o's philosophy of life. I removed them and the underlying glue with GooGone and lots of elbow grease. Don't know if that would work for your problem, but it's worth a try. No harm done to the finish and I used a lot of the stuff. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Hi All - I've run into a problem that has me stymied (for the moment ). My '84 Scamp 13' has remnants of the old 4x6" & 3x8" 'Tree' decals left on the sides & rear (the 'Scamp decals & striping appear to be in fair to good condition). I've received new decals from Scamp & think I know how to put 'em on but, ain't figured out how to get the old stuff off. I've read all the threads I can find from the Google search here on the forum & most all recommend the 'heat gun/hair dryer' method & then peel. My problem is there ain't anything left to peel. The old decal remnants appear to have dried completely (crystallized??), cracked, & ain't about to come off with anything less than a sharp scraper or sander. I've been using the Red Max floor treatment to 'bring back' some shine to the non-existent 'gel-coat' of my trailer but need to get the old decals off before I can install the new ones. Anyone have any suggestions other than a sharp razor blade or a sanding block & lotsa elbow grease (I ain't averse to usin' elbow grease, just hoped there'd be a better [easier ] way)?

Here's what the old decals look like - the trees are supposed to be green with white background

DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
There were several lines of those stick on letters on my Scamp when I bought it, with the p.o's philosophy of life. I removed them and the underlying glue with GooGone and lots of elbow grease. Don't know if that would work for your problem, but it's worth a try. No harm done to the finish and I used a lot of the stuff. Good luck!
Get a sheet of purple ScotchBrite, and a bucket of warm water with plenty of carwash liquid then just scrub it off. The ScotchBrite will do the work and the soap will prevent scratches.
If there is any real vinyl left, soak it first with isopropyl alcohol and use a PLASTIC scraper before the ScotchBrite.
Note HEET in the RED bottle is pure Isopropyl and cheap.
A rag and waterless hand cleaner can do wonders as well,
but scrubbing afterward will still be necessary
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I had results using Floyd method but really soaked the decal down with GooGone and let it soak in really well prior to using the plastic scraper and ScothBrite.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
You will do the least damage to the underlying surface if you remove as much as possible before resorting to chemicals or abrasive means. I have had good luck on these really old decals using a home steam cleaner to heat the decal, then a plastic decal scraper to work it off. You don't run the risk of cooking the stuff worse like with a heat gun. You need the scrapers made for this though. You can get them at auto paint stores and from most any sign shop. They are very hard and sharp on the edge. I would use a decal eraser to clean up what is left. I can tell you though, you are in for some work, and likely the surface underneath will show a ghost of the decal. I ordered my trailer with no decals because of this.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks all - got 'em off. Tried heat, scotchbrite scrubber, alcohol, acetone, goo gone, simple green, & even a strong soap solution. Nuthin' touched it so after it had dried again I just took a scraper with a single edge razor blade in it & very carefully began scraping at one corner. As shown in the pix, the old decals had dried & apparently crystalized as the only thing left on the surface was brittle remnants that look mostly like the dried up bottom of a lake/pond. Most of the stuff just 'flaked' off when the scraper touched it. Only hard parts were where you can see the entire 'tree's in pic #1 or places where the vinyl was still in long vertical pieces. Had to use a little force there but even it flaked off using just a corner of the scraper. There is still a 'ghost' image slightly visible but no scratches (thank you Lord) & after scrubbing with Barkeepers Friend I'll cover the spots with the new decals. If I'm careful I should be able to get 'em back in the same spots . I'd post a pic but the 'ghost' hardly shows up in the pic. Again, thanks all!
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote