How to remove stove top? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Red face How to remove stove top?

Hey guys I have a uhaul ct13. Does anyone know how to remove the stove top? I would like to take it out and paint it. Was hoping I would not have to dismantle everything. It looks like it could be lifted straight up...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Coincidentally, I removed mine yesterday to give me better access to my icebox.

First pull off the knobs on the stove. Then, unscrew the thumb screw between the burners. The top will lift right off. The burners should be held on with two spring clips each.

If you want to remove the inset part, you need to remove the gas line, then the screws (with nuts inside) around the perimeter.

My cook top was rusty, so I wire brushed it with a wire wheel in a drill, treated it with naval jelly, then primed and painted it with high temperature paint made for engines. I finished it off by adding a piece of edge trim under the front edge and two rear corners so it doesn't rub the counter top in transit.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Virginia
Smile

Thanks Thomas! Sounds like your camper will soon be better than new soon!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
please post pics of your painted stove top....
what is naval jelly? acid ?
what brand of paint did you use?
have you had the stove running yet with the new paint?
what did you cook?
was it tasty?

thank you,

kevin
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWA View Post
please post pics of your painted stove top....
Sorry, it is out of the trailer again as I install the fridge. I'll post some pictures as I finish my overall project.
Quote:
what is naval jelly? acid ?
Yes, phosphoric acid
Quote:
what brand of paint did you use?
Rustoleum engine high temperature paint
Quote:
have you had the stove running yet with the new paint?
No, I haven't
Quote:
what did you cook?
was it tasty?
Let's hope the paint doesn't flavor the meal.

thank you,

kevin[/QUOTE]
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #6

Virginia
HA! Thomas we can't wait to see it when someone does something new and good to their camper. I am also taking mine out like you said, but I think I am going to try and remove the paint that is peeling off it first. I happen to like chrome. Mine does not appear to be too rusty yet. But today I built a small shelf for under the front window. Not too pretty but it will work. I attached it to the piano hindge instead of taking the piano hindge off. So it can fold up when not in use. I will stain it tomorrow and remove paint off the stove top.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
HA! Thomas we can't wait to see it when someone does something new and good to their camper. I am also taking mine out like you said, but I think I am going to try and remove the paint that is peeling off it first. I happen to like chrome. Mine does not appear to be too rusty yet. But today I built a small shelf for under the front window. Not too pretty but it will work. I attached it to the piano hinge instead of taking the piano hinge off. So it can fold up when not in use. I will stain it tomorrow and remove paint off the stove top.
Mine was quite rusty and pitted, so I couldn't save the chrome. Thus, the black paint. I may replace it at sometime in the future if I see a screaming deal on a Dometic with a glass top.

Good idea reusing the hinge. I was able to get my hinge off, though the nuts fell inside on two of the bolts when I removed it, but three nuts were left to anchor the shelf. I've finished the dinette cushions and table, so all that is left is to reinstall the vinyl floor covering in that area. Much more useful for me than the bunk beds.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

Virginia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Mine was quite rusty and pitted, so I couldn't save the chrome. Thus, the black paint. I may replace it at sometime in the future if I see a screaming deal on a Dometic with a glass top.

Good idea reusing the hinge. I was able to get my hinge off, though the nuts fell inside on two of the bolts when I removed it, but three nuts were left to anchor the shelf. I've finished the dinette cushions and table, so all that is left is to reinstall the vinyl floor covering in that area. Much more useful for me than the bunk beds.
Can't wait to see the redo pics Thomas. I know you will post them. You have been working hard on it. Soon you will be on the road to happy trails in her. It will be beautiful!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Can't wait to see the redo pics Thomas. I know you will post them. You have been working hard on it. Soon you will be on the road to happy trails in her. It will be beautiful!
Thanks, we are approaching the finish line. I just need to finish installing the refrigerator and the rear UHaul lettering, reinstall the vinyl flooring and apply the floor wax finish to the exterior.