How to remove the lower Gaucho couch from its bracket on a Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Name: Bill and Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
How to remove the lower Gaucho couch from its bracket on a Trillium

Hello everyone,
We have a 1977 Trillium 1300. We wish to reupholster all the cushions and replace the foam. But we do not know how to remove the bottom hinged cushion from the gaucho bed. Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
KateClick image for larger version

Name:	Marian goucho.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	69173
billandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Mine is two sections hinged in the middle- yours looks like a single section. Only real difference is that there are either one or two separate cushions, both of which have zippers. The hinges obviously have to be removed first since they're on the outside of the fabric. I found it easiest to remove the unit from the wall first, hinge(s) and all. Then remove hinge(s) from bed sections, unzip, and remove cover(s).
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

Name: Elisabeth
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Texas
Registry
I did this.

I own a '77 Trillium 1300. Your gaucho looks identical to mine before I renovated it. Under the top cushion is a piano hinge screwed into a plywood bed board on top of the fabric. Place the gaucho in the bunk bed position and have someone hold the upper bunk while you unscrew the hinge on the upper cushion. Do not unscrew the hinge that attaches to the wall under the window.

Remove the upper bed and unzip the slip cover. I replaced the foam with half of this futon couch from Ikea.
BEDDINGE LÖVÅS Mattress - IKEA (The other half works for the lower cushion. $90 for foam for the whole gaucho.)

I put the old foam on top of the new and drew around it with a sharpie. Then I cut the new foam with a cheap electric knife (under $10 at the supermarket). I used the new foam to make the new cover in the same way. I placed it on top of the fabric and drew an outline on the fabric with a sharpie.

After you've re-covered the top part of the gaucho. Replace it the same way. Someone has to hold it in place while another person screws the hinge back over the fabric and through the plywood base. It is a good idea to replace any old screws with stainless steel ones if they aren't already.

My covers are a little baggy on the bottom, but good enough for me. Live and learn with each experience. A professional would make them fit better. Here are my before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
HH before1.jpg   HH before5.jpg  

Elisabeth Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
Just an idea....

I removed the "Goucho" back from the bed because is sticks so far out from the wall that it really wasn't that comfy. What was left was a great place to lounge after a few pillows were put in the corner. If you don't need the second bunk, it really makes the front much more comfortable. BTW, I covered the mounting block with thin foam and material from the new recover. Looks like it was designed that way.
Jeff Johannsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Saskatchewan
We also use the front couch as a bed after removing the top bunk/backrest. We could share the main bed but got disenchanted with climbing over each other in the night and split up!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We also use the front couch as a bed after removing the top bunk/backrest. We could share the main bed but got disenchanted with climbing over each other in the night and split up!
Who gets the big bed?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Hazel, we do the same thing - I actually prefer the narrow bunk!
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Johannsen View Post
Just an idea....

I removed the "Goucho" back from the bed because is sticks so far out from the wall that it really wasn't that comfy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We also use the front couch as a bed after removing the top bunk/backrest. !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
Hazel, we do the same thing - I actually prefer the narrow bunk!
Rat own!

Where the gaucho once reposed in front of my Trillium, there's now a bed commonly referred to as "The Throne".

I not only removed the gaucho, I installed a sprung bed simple loaded with pillows, and beneath which there's enough storage for all the scanties, panties, and rigamarole that I could ever hope to haul. Reclining thereon, I take my first coffee in the morning, door open and enjoying whatever view results from my strategic location of the trailer. No one sleeps there but me, unless my husband is out on one of his solo trips with the trailer. Then, and only then, he's permitted to use it

At all other times, only I can occupy The Throne, Hubby being relegated to the folddown dinette.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Washington
Removing gaucho

Hello there, thanks for your reply. We're working on getting the cushions removed.
Kate
Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Washington
Do ya'll need to have that vinyl backing and hardback material when recovering the gaucho cushions? I am trying to calculate how much fabric I need and whether or not to replace the vinyl backing. Thanks for your help.
Kate on Whidbey Island with a Trillium 1300.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #11

Washington
You are awesome, Elizabeth! How much fabric did you use? We're going to get new foam this weekend. And did you keep the vinyl backing on the cushions?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
The vinyl should be fine. Just use it again, unless you don't like the colour.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #13

Texas
Registry
I got rid of the vinyl backing. It was old and nasty. I used the same cloth all the way around. I wish I could say how much I used on the beds/gaucho. I had a 10 yard bolt of unbleached denim. I bought it for a dollar a yard on a sale table at Hancock Fabrics. I used the same fabric (doubled to block-out the light) for roman shades for the every window, and for the gaucho. The fabric was 60 inches wide. I dyed all of it in the washer with RIT dye. The piping you see in the photo is Wrights Maxi Piping. It's sold in packages at Jo Ann's and Hancocks. I felt like piping made the seams stronger. It definitely made the seams in the denim easier to get straight.

My advice on yardage would be to cut your new foam and measure it all the way around the width and length, like you were wrapping a package, and then add a few yards. I bought zippers at Jo Ann's Fabric, but the cover that comes on the IKEA mattress has 2 zippers that could be reused. (Can you tell how really cheap I am? I reuse everything.)

A word about the IKEA foam. The particular mattress I linked to earlier is thicker than the original foam in the Trillium. It works great for bunks, but may be thick for the back of the gaucho. We only use the gaucho in the bunk position. That's where my girls sleep. I wanted them to have good beds. It's possible you could slice the top foam mattress thinner or wrap the fabric tighter than I did.

Post photos when you get this done. I'd like to see!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

Texas
Registry
I forgot to say. The back of the gaucho is plywood. I reused it.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #15

Washington
Thanks, Dave. I hear you are a legend in Calgary from the Trillium trailer folk.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #16

Washington
Hello Elizabeth,
Thanks for your clear instructions. We'll post photos. I have about 8 yards of a lovely wine-colored wool boucle fabric that I will use. We'll shop for foam, zippers and piping fabric this weekend when we leave our island to shop in Seattle. Kate
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandkate View Post
Thanks, Dave. I hear you are a legend in Calgary from the Trillium trailer folk.
Legend? More like cautionary tale. I have a problem. I buy Trilliums. Six so far. The one I use is currently stranded in Ontario.

I have visited Seattle for parts though. Mostly cushions.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We took the small hinged section from the top bunk and used that as a backrest for the front couch. It leaves the full width of the lower bunk as a bed. The dogs love the extra room.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I also didn't use vinyl when I redid my cushions. Just used a material that was listed as upholstery fabric with very little cotton content and also obtained the zippers from a fabric store - they were the bulk type where you buy all the pieces so you could make the zipper to what ever length you need. If you use a fabric with to high of cotton content it is more likely to absorb moisture and not wear as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #20

Washington
And do you know whether we need waterproof fabric on the back of the cushions? There is some vinyl there now. Whether or not we use vinyl depends on if we need to have waterproof material against the fiberglass benches. Thanks!

Tags
trillium