How to repair old spare tire mount 81 Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: 13' Casita
Wisconsin
Question How to repair old spare tire mount 81 Casita

Hi all of you helpful camper owners! I have an issue concerning how to remedy the holes left from the original(?) spare tire mount on the rear of my 1981 Casita 13'. Bought it last year, in pretty good condition and this year I'm beginning to work on correcting a few things. I'm only 'sort of' handy, but willing to learn. My spare is now carried on a custom bracket attached to rear bumper. PO gobbed lots of thick caulk over holes where tire used to be mounted; after removing the goop, I discovered 4 holes which had obviously allowed water to enter. The two smaller top holes have screws in them, which I have been able to loosen so they can be removed. But I'm unable to determine what they were for or if they need to be in place for any reason; like what's on the interior side? The upper of the two larger holes is not all the way thru. (Perhaps it had fiberglass repair on the inside?) The most concerning to me is the bottom hole has a bolt remnant that looks like it was cut or broken off and protrudes about 1/8". NOTE: the photos are all upside down!! I don't know how to correct them!! The first pic is inside camper, under the table mount, can see where leaking caused crumbling on the finish.
On the interior view, you can see where there is a double-thick section, but I don't know why. (That's the area where the 2 smaller screws enter.) As far as the two larger holes, 1 with screw remnant: should I try to push the screw through? Obviously, I plan to fiberglass repair where all these holes are, but I don't know if it's ok to just leave it & patch over the protruding screw? I hate to think of making a bigger problem either way.
For the record...(don't shudder or judge please)... I'm not extremely concerned about the final way it looks, within reason. I just want to be dry, that's why I bought a camper. High maintenance and perfection are not as important as getting this done so I can use it soon!
Any advise is welcome! This is all new to me, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
14941106078861641778002.jpg   14941106965261641778002.jpg  

14941107921741641778002.jpg  
Ktdid_kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Strengthen Casita spare tire holder

I used new 3/8 bolts,put a metal plate behind them,made it longer for third tail light mount.Then on rear bumper used two 5/16 bolts thru it to hold the off set metal tire support.Tried to download photos.
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go to a boat store and buy some fiberglass patch. Clean the holes, remove the remains of the bolt and apply.

google West Marine for a location near you.

Originally if your Casita is anything like my 1999 the spare rested on the bumper and a large 1/2" threaded rod with nuts on both sides of the fiberglass shell held the rod in place and there was a large washer and another nut holding the spare on.

From your description sounds like the remains of the 1/2" threaded rod is still on your trailer.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita