How to seal around incoming wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
How to seal around incoming wiring

I have finally remounted the body to the frame on my Trillium 1300. There are numerous wires that enter the trailer near the front on the underside. (brakes/battery/breakaway switch/and connection to the TV)

My question is what is the best way to seal around the wires to make the hole and wires watertight. Originally there was a blob of black, sticky, tarry looking stuff that you molded around the wires and the hole. I'm not sure what that stuff is called.

If anyone can give me some suggestions on what to use, I would greatly appreciate it.

Spanke
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I used fiberglass resin and cloth. How about some kind of caulk in a tube?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
More than likely they used butyl tape as a sealer.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I like OSI QUAD Advanced Formula (windows, door & siding). It's a gun caulk which adheres very well to wood and fiberglass and remains flexible. Available big box home improvement centers.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
More than likely they used butyl tape as a sealer.
That would be my choice.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've had good results using Lexel. It readily adheres to fiberglass, but can be removed should the need arise. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Our camper was sealed at the factory with expanding foam. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
I recently moved the 7-conductor cable so it enters the body of my 1977 Scamp over the right-side frame rail. I ran a 3/8" O.D. propane line through the original 4-conductor wiring hole with a brass bulkhead fitting.

I searched for a better way of running the 7-conductor cable through the shell and found Ancor wire seals which are sold at marine supply stores. Ancor must be a division of the Marinco company. Here's a link to the Marinco web site:

Wire Seals | Marinco

I bought the 765004 from a local marine store because they didn't charge shipping for in-store pickup. My local West Marine store doesn't carry that size. It was about $15.

I was able to get the smaller 765000 size at West Marine which I will use for battery wiring and brake wiring coming up through the floor.

There is not enough thread length on these to go through the plywood floor so I will mount them on an aluminum plate with clearance hole to clear the body of the seal. There is enough thread length to go through the fiberglass body.

Installing the wire seal for the 7-conductor cable was one of the quickest mods I've done. I used a hole saw and then opened it up a little with a round file for a tight fit.

It doesn't take much torque to seal and secure the cable plus is comes back apart very easily. No goopy sealant to deal with. It is waterproof to 300 ft. underwater.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Jeff
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Thanks for all the replies.

I had thought about using butyl tape, but was wondering how I would get it down inside a bundle of many wires.

The OSI Quad and the Lexel look to be very similar. I like that they stay flexible and will stick to about anything. I'm leaning that way.

Spanke
Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I used regular old household latex caulk in a tube. Expanding foam would work well too, but it's very hard to remove if you need to later.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote