How to Sell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
How to Sell

I am cross posting this also in General Chat as well as Legal Matters for the increased readership. So...best way to avoid being taken to the cleaners when selling your molded fiberglass? There are so many scams out there- including counterfeit if you sell for cash...I have been thinking about the WW2 Nazi campaign against England and they had quite a stash of counterfeit cash that matched the Bank of England's cash - it would've caused the fall of England but they couldn't get it into England in the later war years. I had thought about getting information and practice in how to recognize genuine cash like the banks do (what the heck is a watermark anyway?) and if the counterfeit is undetectable- well, read above about the Bank of England and WW2.

I have all original equipment even tho we removed some for our convenience- so I could return all that with a discount for cash.
DH was astounded to find out (from me) that cashiers checks can be washed and amounts and recipients forged.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have removed the two repeated posts, as it will only create two conversations at the same time, on the same subject. It is also part of the Community Rules to not post duplicate threads.

Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.

Carry on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Cashier's checks should only be accepted during banking hours when you can call to confirm them by serial number and amount.
I think a little common sense will prevent the remote possibility of being taken by counterfeiters, but you can always do your transaction at your bank where they can check it and deposit the cash.

A watermark is a usually a paper manufacturers identification mark which is visible when held up to the light or in reflected light on a dark background.

As used on currency here is a link which explains ...
https://fitsmallbusiness.com/how-to-...terfeit-money/
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Lots of forged cashier checks out there. Google cashier check scam. Typically its some obscure bank that is not local. Your bank thinks it is legit, then several days later they tell you its not.

Common sense goes a long way, scammers are not too sophisticated YET.

We did electronic bank to bank fund transfer on our Escape purchase. I took cash on the Trillium.

When I bought my truck, I went with the seller to his bank, handed over cash, he handed over title. I even had the bank notarize his signature.

"If the cashier’s check was written by a bank, it has to go through a clearinghouse, which is usually operated by the Federal Reserve Board. Even though this system has been largely automated since 2004, it can still take more than two weeks, according to the Better Business Bureau. That means there’s often a gap between when the money goes to the bank customer and the moment it can actually be verified. Cashier’s check scammers take advantage of this uncertainty by asking their victims to somehow return them some money. When the bank finally finds out the check is fake and takes the money from the customer’s account, the con artist will have disappeared, and the victim will be in the red."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I've seen other rv sales places (rvt.com) that recommend using an escrow agent like you would with a house purchase.

https://www.rvt.com/rvlinks/rvescrow.php

I would think this could help lessen the possibility of fraud.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have bought and sold well over a hundred vehicles over time and the only time I have been the victim of felony theft was from a licensed car dealer.
In that case he was caught and the theft was quickly rectified with full restitution.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Our two trailer sales and one antique VW pickup were all sold through PayPal. Seemed to work fine for us since the buyers were from a long ways away.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #8

Name: corvetteguy
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Meet at the buyers bank. Get the cash or cashiers check from the person behind the counter. If the buyer doesn't have a bank convenient to you and they do not want to do an electronic/wire transfer to your bank have them open a new account at a bank near you. If they don't want to do this move on to the next buyer. Also my rule of thumb: If the buyer doesn't want to take the time or spend the money (to travel) to look at your product in person move on to the buyer that does.
garyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #9

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
selling scams??

We sold our Casita last summer to a guy in E TN..we transferred the thing at a bank and received a cashier check drawn on that branch
I made 2 copies of a contract I had revised from a sale of a motorcycle last year. WE all 4 signed both copies, he got the Cassy + 1 contract copy, after a thoro exam of the trailer..and we got a copy of the contract and the cashier check, which we immediately deposited..easy peasy
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #10

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
When we bought our boler 17 in Winnipeg we paid cash but at the sellers bank right to the bank teller. Also signed all the papers at the bank.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #11

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
When someone makes an offer well under what you’re asking as says for example 12k cash in hand? Is that regular jargon? Naive
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodimckenna56 View Post
When someone makes an offer well under what you’re asking as says for example 12k cash in hand? Is that regular jargon? Naive
Yes "cash in hand" or simply "cash" is regular jargon, and the majority of sellers demand it.

And sure the buyer can make an offer well under the asking price, but again, most FG trailer sellers demand cash, and if their trailer is priced right, they'll get the asking price or close to it.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #13

Texas
Since I have your ear and if you wouldn’t mind, is this reasonable. I’ve listed my 17’ 2013 Casita in good to excellent condition at $16,000 and the offer was 12k cash...is that a good offer? I’m not in a big hurry but...donno.
No one to bounce these things off of.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Who knows? I listed a Subaru wagon for $1,800 and got no interest. Listed it for $2,600 and sold it in a couple days for $2,400.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #15

Texas
Good point. It’s psychological in that holding out creates anxiety, it’s ethical and moral in that are you being reasonable and fair, it’s philisophical in that will I take top dollar from a shister or sell to the right person for a bit less. Never was much of a seller. Thnx
Old 02-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Since I have your ear and if you wouldn’t mind, is this reasonable. I’ve listed my 17’ 2013 Casita in good to excellent condition at $16,000 and the offer was 12k cash...is that a good offer? I’m not in a big hurry but...donno.
No one to bounce these things off of.
I think your asking price is on the high side and the offer is too low. If the cash offer gets to $14k I’d take it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #17

Texas
Thank you. I’m going to do just that. Staging begins and up the marketing, ie Craigslist etc. Haven’t gotten one reply from these classifieds. Has to sell or I’ll try and consign with an RV lot back in Texas. I’ve got 2 months so it should go....I’m rambling to my imaginary friend haha.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #18

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Haven’t gotten one reply from these classifieds.....
Is yours the hoarder trailer with the sideways pictures?
If so, that could explain it.
Sorry to be brutal, but if I was looking I would skip yours.

Empty it out, take lots of photos, and the offers will start coming....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #19

Texas
Omg...this is great insight. I’m thinking how cute it can be as a lil home but no...who knew...now I will sooo continue to empty and ‘stage’. Problem is I’m still living in it... but live out of my SUV and just sleep in it. Or should I take out the mattress and set up the big table? Probably, huh? Thank you for being brutal. It didn’t hurt too bad.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #20

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Omg...this is great insight. I’m thinking how cute it can be as a lil home but no...who knew...now I will sooo continue to empty and ‘stage’. Problem is I’m still living in it... but live out of my SUV and just sleep in it. Or should I take out the mattress and set up the big table? Probably, huh? Thank you for being brutal. It didn’t hurt too bad.
This is just me. This is what I would do.
Wait for a sunny day.
Empty it all out - remove mattress - set up diner.
Take lots of pictures, with the blinds up/lights on to make it look big.
Edit all the photos to remove the superfluous stuff.
Clean bathrooms sell trailers.

When you have some good/clean photos, feel free to add a few "cute" ones to show how it could be used. No pictures of the owner though.

Good luck!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote