How to sell a "project" 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hello. I have a 1978 13' Scamp. It was pretty beat up when I bought it several years ago, but I thought I would have the time and energy to nurse it back to health. A new addition to the family is going to change things for me, so I need to sell it and move on. The challenge is that I've gutted it on the inside, took out most of the windows, and unveiled some needs to do fiberglass work. I have all the parts, including the benches, cushions, windows, etc. Althought the trailer is still adorable, the project is not for newbies. I have several thousand into it already, including what I paid for it to begin with, new tires and newly packed bearings, but that is it as far as updates. It really is stripped. How would you recommend I sell the little Scamp? How much would it be reasonable to list it for? Anyone interested in visiting Portland to see it?

Thanks for all your insight. I've been a big fan of this forum for years now.

Kind regards,
Alisa

akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Hard to say without seeing it.

One never knows what something will really sell for - but most of the project 13-footers end up selling in the $500-$1200 range. Course those are in one piece (usually).

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
[b]I have several thousand into it already, including what I paid for it to begin with, new tires and newly packed bearings, but that is it as far as updates. It really is stripped. How would you recommend I sell the little Scamp? How much would it be reasonable to list it for?
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, But I would re-evaluate your need to sell it at this time, because IMHO you will kiss your several thousand goodbye. If I understand the "market" correctly, you might get a little more than the cost of the tires and the parts for the bearings, but the labor costs are irretrievable.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll take your advice and put a few things back together and then post it as taking offers.

Alisa
akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
You can do what I did about 2 months ago. My project Scamp was in camping condition and I still sold it for a $1200.00 loss. It was sound and did not leak and I sold it for $1000.00.
I wish I could give you a more positive answer but the market for projects is very limited as I found out.
Good luck,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Put it in the area Craig's List as a project, just be honest. Set a high price and let someone deal you down to a reasonable price and you'll both be happy.

Alternatively, find the local place where folks park rolling stock for sale on weekends, take a book and chair and mark it "Needs Work".
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp