How to Shade My Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
How to Shade My Trailer

I'm wondering if hanging shade cloth over the trailer would significantly lower the temperature inside the trailer in the summer. A 10-20 degree difference would make a huge difference.

If you think it would help, then the next question is how to do it. I'm thinking something shaped like the top of a Conestoga wagon would be good because it would provide room to open the vent and use the fan without trapping the air against the roof. I'd really like to be able to put it on when I get to campground and leave it on until I'm ready to leave, so it would need to stand up to high winds. Shade cloth is pretty cheap, so having it rip off is not a disaster unless it causes damage.

I guess there are 2 basic options: (3 would be both)
  • Connected to trailer
  • Not connected to trailer
I already have an awning attached on door side, so that might be a help or a hindrance. This isn't my greenhouse, but I do have a similar one and it made it through a recent wind storm with no damage. I'm thinking there might be a clue here.

Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Are you looking for something to use at home, or to take on the road with you. If the latter, how long can you allow to do set-up and how long do you stay in one place?

We bought three 10'x20' Shelter Logic Canopies several years ago for less than $100 each and used them for shade over several 13' FGRV's as well as for carports.

The ones we had were metal tubing frames holding up a fabric roof. here's a link:
ShelterLogic - Portable Garages - Fabric Shelters and Structures

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Before we resolved the window leakage problem with our Uhaul camper we put it under a 10 X 10 peaked roof shelter logic canopy. Worked good, plus provided shade. With the Parkliner you would need the 10 X 20. Like Bob Miller says, how long you are in one place would determine if the setup time is worth it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Are you looking for something to use at home, or to take on the road with you. If the latter, how long can you allow doe set-up and how long do you stay in one place?
This is for when I stay at campgrounds near the beach. Usually about 2 weeks. No shade, but lots of wind.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good luck with any shelter (or awning) and wind. I live where the wind blow continually from November to March (Wind Farms!). If it's not nailed down, it will end up in the neighbors yard or maybe the next county.

Fortunately, and usually WIND means cooler weather (unless you're dealing with the Santa Annas).

My 18'x25' carport is anchored with earth anchors (3' down into the ground) because of wind. When I camp and wind is expected, EVERYTHING is put away and I certainly don't deploy the expensive awning on my trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Shelters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
This is for when I stay at campgrounds near the beach. Usually about 2 weeks. No shade, but lots of wind.
Ouch.... I'm with Donna, Wind is your enemy with these things. Given the right conditions, they can be like a giant sail. We had a wind storm come up and lifted one of ours, with weights on each of 4 corners, knocking the weights off and sending the entire thing over the roof, damaging the roof tiles, but not the trailer it was covering.

I'd be very apprehensive about using one in those conditions unless you hade a permanent anchoring method or a lot of weights to tie to.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could try a garage.
But, see this first.
You have to click on "next" to get to the video.
Strong winds blow Norwegian garage away - 9news.com.au
Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I have a large rectangle of "Aluminette" which you can find at a greenhouse supply. I have not used it with the Casita yet, but have used it several times to drape over my vehicle at dog trials. It is an aluminized (reflective) cloth that is mesh so the wind blows through. I don't know that you will get a 20 degree temp differential, but I have measured at least 10. My cloth is large enough to drape over the top of my little 13 footer. It has a nice canvas binding on the edges with grommets.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyA View Post
I have a large rectangle of "Aluminette" which you can find at a greenhouse supply. I have not used it with the Casita yet, but have used it several times to drape over my vehicle at dog trials. It is an aluminized (reflective) cloth that is mesh so the wind blows through. I don't know that you will get a 20 degree temp differential, but I have measured at least 10. My cloth is large enough to drape over the top of my little 13 footer. It has a nice canvas binding on the edges with grommets.
Thanks for idea. I also found some other cloth/tarp that has about 50 grommets for tying it down.

The one thing I hadn't thought about is it will cover my solar panel. I also have a portable one, so I think I'd be OK if I covered one.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #10

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
I'm wondering if hanging shade cloth over the trailer would significantly lower the temperature inside the trailer in the summer. A 10-20 degree difference would make a huge difference.
I don't think there is any kind of shelter you could possibly put over a trailer in full sun (short of an air-conditioned building) that would lower the inside temperature of your trailer more than a degree or two. And, as others have stated, just keeping a shelter in one place and all still in one piece during any kind of wind poses its own set of problems.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I don't think there is anything you could possibly put over a trailer in full sun (short of an air-conditioned building) that would lower the inside temperature of your trailer more than a degree or two. And, as others have stated, just keeping a shelter in one place and all still in one piece during any kind of wind poses its own set of problems.
It's cooler under a tree, so why wouldn't it be cooler under shade cloth?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've used "covers" designed for campers and found this is the ONLY way to go. I'm not worried about winds up to 50mph. Anything over that's more than likely coming from a tornado and the carport/Scamp will be my least worry!

Never thought about it until I got it, but it's also WONDERFUL for being able to go out and work on the Scamp, wash it or what ever whether it's raining or just out of the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Under Carport.jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #13

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Someone mentioned using a Coleman Event Shade to shade their trailer, even included a picture of it under one (can't find it now), but it was a 15' x 15' and I believe they said can only get 14' x 14' now. Here's a link to a 14' 14' x 14' Coleman Event 14 Shelter Tent Canopy - HutShop.com

I decided if I ever get a little fiberglass trailer, I will shade it this way if there are no trees available.
If a storm blows in, it looks pretty easy to take down quickly.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
It's cooler under a tree, so why wouldn't it be cooler under shade cloth?
The tree doesn't block breezes.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #15

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The tree doesn't block breezes.
Neither does shade cloth if you only cover the top of the trailer. I'm thinking about 8-12" of air space between the top of the trailer and the covering.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #16

Virginia
I found this, which is close to what I had pictured as a solution.

It is a bit pricey, but they listed some interesting stats:

Quote:
It was noted that from 7:00pm in the evening until 12:00 midnight that the air conditioner ran for a total of two hours without any shade during the day but ran for only 20 minutes when the RV was installed with the Rooftop Shade System.
Quote:
Two infrared images were taken. One image focused the cross-hair scope at a point outside of the shaded area and identified the surface temperature as 123 degrees F. Another image focused the cross-hair scope at a point under the shaded area and identified the surface temperature as 92.7 degrees F.
shaderv
Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #17

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
desert creature?

-
seems like if the military and nomads can use tents to keep livestock and humvvee's cooler and such, that a gentle folk like us can use them for shade too.

can we get a big sand-camoflage tent?

-
wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Might as well bring this here from another thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post441483
I built the "Scamport" myself (my labor rate is low working for myself), the sticks and nails and metal roof all together cost about $1100.

By the way, the snow cover is about the same this winter. It's been white since Thanksgiving and more cold is on the way.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote