How to solve registration / transportation catch 22? Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thumbs up

I am about to be the proud owner of a 99 Scamp 16. Hurrah!!
I am a Vermont resident, visiting Idaho, and I will drive to Oregon to get the camper. Ugh!!

I can't buy the camper until I go to see it (10 hr drive). I can't register it until I buy it, and I can't tow it after buying it cause it will take 20 days to get the plates after providing the documentation etc etc.

In short, I have no plates for towing it, and can't get any until I've completed the sale which would mean two 10 hour trips. One to buy, and one to tow once plates arrive.

I wonder if others have faced this situation? Can anyone help? Am I missing some very obvious solution??

Michael D

Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Check on getting some kind of temporary operating permit. The downside is you might need one for each state- some states recognize the others, some don't.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
We just bought a camper in Michigan. They do not have plates for small trailers in that state and they don't give out temp. plates or registrations.

So we towed the trailer back to Virginia and were never stopped. In addition, I am sure that if you were stopped, the police would accept a bill of sale and any other documentation you got with the trailer. My experience is that the police never worry about that kind of stuff on out of state vehicles. We drove our car for four months with expired Virginia plates in Fla. and never got looked at twice.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #4

Both good ideas. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Yeah, I have to agree, it took me 10 months to get the right plates instead of expired Washington ones, and I was never stopped even when my turn signal wasn't working on one side. But no plates at all might get you stopped faster than expired plates.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Some states (including Virginia, by the way) have what they call a "Trip Permit" that you can buy, which solves all the problems. (Not to be confused with a wide-load type permit.)

With Virginia, this can be purchased online, for $5. You can use it to move an unregistered vehicle that you own, or to move a vehicle that you have just purchased (if you are going to look, and don't have all the info on the vehicle, that's okay too).

The permit is good for three days from when you want it to start (may be started after you buy it). You print it out, tape it in the window, and yer legal

I don't think all states have it, but it's worth checking into.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have bought 5 trailers in 5 different states without having plates in advance for any of them.
Just print a Bill of Sale and both parties fill it out and drive the egg home.
I can not imagine any problems.
Ed

Oh,and have fun!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Michael
I Va. you can go on line pay $5 and get a trip permit to get a vehicle back home from out of state or move a recently purchased vehicle to your home. All you need is the VIN and you print out your permit from the VA DMV website. I checked Vermont DMV and could not find such a program. But you are in luck with Oregon. It looks like it will cost you $30 and you will have to go into a Oregon DMV with proof of insurance bill of sale and other info. and you can get a 10 day trip permit. Check out http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/tprv.shtml.
Second option is see if the previous owner will let you use his tags to get the trailer home then mail the tags back.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Michael
I Va. you can go on line pay $5 and get a trip permit to get a vehicle back home from out of state or move a recently purchased vehicle to your home. All you need is the VIN and you print out your permit from the VA DMV website.
Is there an echo in here?

By the way, you don't need the VIN for a VA Trip Permit (unless it is a vehicle that you already own). If you are just shopping, and don't own the vehicle yet, you can just tell them what you do know (they do want to know where you are originating and your destination).

Also note that they kind of make it look like you need to have insurance or pay a non-insurance fee, but if you read closely, that does not apply to trailers.

It is SUCH a handy program - wish all states had it. And $5. And Instant!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #10

Thanks again all,

I will check out the trip permit and otherwise use the old tags or go bare.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I don't believe the police generally pay much attention to trailers.

I bought a boat and trailer some years ago. I cut a piece of cardboard to license plate size. Then in large letters I printed "lost tag" and below that in smaller print I put some meaningless numbers.

Arizona MVD will issue paper get-you-home plates. Oregon may do the same. Asking is free.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote