How to tell axle size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
How to tell axle size?

I have a '76 Trillium 13 footer and the other day I pulled the hubs off to check the bearings and the grease. I checked the numbers of the bearings and today found the paper the PO had written the bearing/seal numbers on (confirming what my aging eyes read...). After checking a number of internet sources for the bearings it seems to me the numbers I'm dealing with are related to the Dexter 3500# axles.

I just assumed the trailer (don't ask me why) had a 2000# or so axle, not a 3500# one. The internet sources suggested the "smaller" axle has a different bearing set than I've got.

So, is there a way I can know for sure what rating axle I've got?

(I don't have brakes and am researching those options. It seems the 2000# axles use a smaller 7" brake while the 3500# uses a 10" brake. If I need 10" brakes then the question of whether my 13" wheels will take the larger diameter brake drum arises...)

???
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I added brakes to my UHaul CT, I used the 3500# spindles and 10" brakes. The brake drums just squeak into the 13" wheels.

I believe that rubber torsion axles can be custom ordered at different weight capacities by changing the rubber inserts. So the spindles may be rated at a higher capacity than the suspension.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in here on this last point.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
On a 2200# or smaller Dexter axle the spindle is straight.Either 1" or 1-1/16". The next larger axles, up to 3500#, have tapered or stepped spindles with the inboard bearing being larger than the outboard bearing.
When new, Dexter axles have an info sticker on the axle tube.
The smaller axle (straight spindle)will only accept 7" brakes, while the larger one takes 10" brakes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Mine is not a Dexter, but has a metal tag riveted to the center of the axle tube.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Swinnard View Post
I have a '76 Trillium 13 footer and the other day I pulled the hubs off to check the bearings and the grease. I checked the numbers of the bearings and today found the paper the PO had written the bearing/seal numbers on (confirming what my aging eyes read...). After checking a number of internet sources for the bearings it seems to me the numbers I'm dealing with are related to the Dexter 3500# axles.

I just assumed the trailer (don't ask me why) had a 2000# or so axle, not a 3500# one. The internet sources suggested the "smaller" axle has a different bearing set than I've got.

So, is there a way I can know for sure what rating axle I've got?

(I don't have brakes and am researching those options. It seems the 2000# axles use a smaller 7" brake while the 3500# uses a 10" brake. If I need 10" brakes then the question of whether my 13" wheels will take the larger diameter brake drum arises...)

???
This should help

Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle