How to test if converter blown? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
I'm afraid you have a direct short somewhere. Unfortunately, these can be VERY time consuming to trace but an absolute necessity in your case! You may have to start at THAT fuse and work outward until you find the culprit. It could be where two wires run together and got VERY hot before the fuse blew or something and be "fused" together? Or...a simple wire could be chaffed and rubbing against metal.

Good luck and keep us informed. It's always good to know these anomalies so that we might can help others in the future. I like the "glow" fuses!! Didnt know they existed!

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #16
Name: Marg
Trailer: scamp 13
Still trying to solve problem, but new question

First i really appreciate the help even if i still haven't resolved the problem but you all give me food for thought and i am learning lots!!

I contacted american and a really nice service person also thinks it is my battery and not the converter. My new question is: if the 12v battery was dead, wouldn't it charge while we are driving if the trailer is hooked up?? And secondly, how does the battery keep charged - does it just charge while driving? Does the converter have anything to do with it charging?

Thanks... While i wait for answers i am going out to do some tests with my new volt meter.

Minalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #17
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
If you have a charging line properly connected the battery should receive charge when driving. Using a digital meter read the voltage at the battery with the connector to the car pluged in with the car running and when it is unplugged. There shoul d be abot 2.5-2.8 volts difference. If there is the battery may be bad and not taking a charge. How old is the battery and has it ever held a charge.

The American converter charges the battery through the same wires as it runs the lights etc. I don't believe that they use a switch-over relay. Does it have a switch on the front that sez something like BATT-OFF-LINE

The converter should be charging the battery any time the rig is plugged into shore power. Make the same test as above, measure the voltage on the battery posts with and without the shore cord plugged in. It should go up at least 2.5 volts when plugged in.

The fuse that blew may be a reverse polarity fuse if the battery was connected backwards, if only for a second.

Read some voltages and let us know what you find. Be sure you are on DC VOLTS on a scale of less than 50 volts, 20 is better if you have it.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #18
Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16

The converter charges the battery when plugged in to AC shore power. If the Trailer has a seven pin plug it should charge while driving. If it has a 4 pin it will not. If you keep blowing fuses it sounds like you have a short somewhere.
I used to blow fuses when plugged into truck and shore power at the same time.

cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote