How to test if converter blown? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Name: Marg
Trailer: scamp 13
Alberta
How to test if converter blown?

We have 2008 13ft Scamp. When putting battery back on after winter we reversed the wires by mistake. So we bought brand new battery, and replaced a blown 20 amp fuse. Trailer lights to vehicle work. Inside lights and fan DO NOT work. Switched the knob outside from 12v to 120v and plugged into 15 amp (with 15 amp plug) to my house and everything works fine off electricity. Just not the battery.
Tried to ask someone in service at Scamp dealer they said must be battery? But battery is brand new and we hooked up properly. He said if lights inside work when plugged in, then the converter not the problem. Oh and we also replaced the 250v 8a cylynder fuse in the converter itself in case it was blown (it is white not glass so cant tell if blown so put new one just in case)
Thoughts????
Minalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
There is a fuse at the battery connection as well as a fuse on the convertor

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I guess the real test is to disconnect the battery and then see if the DC stuff works. If it still works you have something coming out of the converter and can concentrate on the battery connection(s).
The "American" brand converters used in Scamps around that same time period were not well known for their robust construction or reliability and a reverse connection may have fried more than just the morning eggs.

FWIW: A simple multi-meter is a good investment, every trailer owner needs to have one in their tool kit, if only to be able to answer our questions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Alberta
Thanks Brian. I did read that in all the forums i researched before i sent in my own question. I have checked every inch of the trailer inside and out and can't find another fuse anywhere! I am assuming that the fuse you mention is attached to some or one of the wires that run from battery and make its way to the converter? I have even pulled some of the rat fur away from the wires, removed electrical tape etc. and don't see one anywhere!? I wish i could find another fuse because intuitively it sounds like it would be the problem.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

Alberta
Thanks Bob - yes when i disconnect the battery and the DC stuff works (i asssume when you say DC stuff u mean its plugged in to electrical outlet and then my interior lights work).
Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

OK... On Scamps there are sometimes fuses tucked into the wiring right after it enters the body, under the front bunk seat, or in the wire right at in the battery box.

I'd tell you to check for battery voltage at the power chassis connection if you have a voltmeter or a simple 12 vdc test light

Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I have never worked on a Scamp , but from other threads I beleive that the frame is used as the ground . If this is the case the battery to frame connection may have been cooked when connected backwards . Get a voltmeter and check between the battery and frame for continuity .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

Alberta
Further to my initial post trying to figure out converter/battery problem

This is a pic of inside my converter. The 20 amp blew and i replaced it. When plugged into electrical outlet this 20amp glows - is that normal? I will look more for another fuse where battery lines come in trailer, what is the size of the second fuse? What am i looking for? It must be smaill cause so far i cant find it. Just a reminder, i did replace the 250v 8a cylinder fuse u see inside the converter and it is brand new battery. Interior lights ans fan only work when i plug to electrical outlet wont work off of battery.
I will go get a voltmeter as my last test as suggested but if any other tips in meantime thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #9

Alberta
Okay i just googled and found out that this glowing fuse means it is blown. The new pack of fuses i bought must be those smart fuses. So this is the third time it has blown - my question now is why does this 20 amp keep blowing on me?

Thoughts??
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
It blows because something is miswired or shorted out. What is only a guessing game unless you can use some basic test equipment to do some methodical trouble shooting. Sorry.

Actually there is something you can do.. verify the make and model of the converter and look up the fuse placement to see which fuse is giving you the problem (what does it protect).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Have installed anything new on the DC side? New light bulbs

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

Alberta
Yes i did install a new light bulb . The person i bought trailer from had installed some funny looking loght that wasnt very bright so i bought new bulbs. I will experiment by taking it back out and seeing if that is culprit. Thanks for possible tip!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Convert woes

Get a good meter and check the voltage on the battery. Scamp is right, if the light work when you plug it in it is not the converter. My Scamp had an additional fuse in the closet under the carpet. Drove me nutz till I found it. hope that helps.
Charlie
cmartin7482@gmail.com
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Troubleshooting - PD9100 Series Power Converters

Still don't know the model of your converter but they are more alike than not, so this guide might help.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm afraid you have a direct short somewhere. Unfortunately, these can be VERY time consuming to trace but an absolute necessity in your case! You may have to start at THAT fuse and work outward until you find the culprit. It could be where two wires run together and got VERY hot before the fuse blew or something and be "fused" together? Or...a simple wire could be chaffed and rubbing against metal.

Good luck and keep us informed. It's always good to know these anomalies so that we might can help others in the future. I like the "glow" fuses!! Didnt know they existed!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #16

Alberta
Still trying to solve problem, but new question

First i really appreciate the help even if i still haven't resolved the problem but you all give me food for thought and i am learning lots!!

I contacted american and a really nice service person also thinks it is my battery and not the converter. My new question is: if the 12v battery was dead, wouldn't it charge while we are driving if the trailer is hooked up?? And secondly, how does the battery keep charged - does it just charge while driving? Does the converter have anything to do with it charging?

Thanks... While i wait for answers i am going out to do some tests with my new volt meter.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #17

If you have a charging line properly connected the battery should receive charge when driving. Using a digital meter read the voltage at the battery with the connector to the car pluged in with the car running and when it is unplugged. There shoul d be abot 2.5-2.8 volts difference. If there is the battery may be bad and not taking a charge. How old is the battery and has it ever held a charge.

The American converter charges the battery through the same wires as it runs the lights etc. I don't believe that they use a switch-over relay. Does it have a switch on the front that sez something like BATT-OFF-LINE

The converter should be charging the battery any time the rig is plugged into shore power. Make the same test as above, measure the voltage on the battery posts with and without the shore cord plugged in. It should go up at least 2.5 volts when plugged in.

The fuse that blew may be a reverse polarity fuse if the battery was connected backwards, if only for a second.

Read some voltages and let us know what you find. Be sure you are on DC VOLTS on a scale of less than 50 volts, 20 is better if you have it.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #18

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Charging

The converter charges the battery when plugged in to AC shore power. If the Trailer has a seven pin plug it should charge while driving. If it has a 4 pin it will not. If you keep blowing fuses it sounds like you have a short somewhere.
I used to blow fuses when plugged into truck and shore power at the same time.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote