How to trouble shoot a leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
How to trouble shoot a leak

Need advice on how to trouble shoot a leak. I am a complete novice and will need it spelled out for me. Here's what I walked into the other afternoon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-232845348.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	58765

The trailer was sitting tilted back. It's all cleaned up and dry now and is safe in the garage.
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If there's no evidence of water running down the walls, it may have crept in at the base...does the siding go down below the floor level on the outside of the trailer, or does it appear to stop/rest on the floor?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I assume this is a leak on the Little Guy teardrop. I think they are known to have leak issues at the seams or hatch. The problem with leaks is that water will travel from the source to where you see it, making it difficult to find where it originates. If snow laid on it, that could cause water to back up rather than run off, just like on a house roof. Have you asked this question over on the tnttt site, it's more related to there and should be a source of answers specific to your trailer. We also have a teardrop, but it's a vintage one, 1946, no wood other than the floor and hatch ribs.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

Georgia
Nope, sold Little Guy. This is on my 1982 13' Scamp.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Courtney it would help if you could give us a description of what part of the trailer we are looking at. I have Scamp but I cant figure out what location in the trailer that might be.

Also can you tell us what general area of the trailer the water appeared to ran down to the rear from? Are there windows or hatches in that area?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #6

Georgia
This is the back of the camper, under the table (and back window). At the time I could not find the source because I was frantically trying to squeeze it in my garage and get the water out! When I initially looked I did not notice it coming from the ceiling vent, however, after I got it in the garage I saw water dropping from the vent. I don't remember initially seeing anything wet running from under the vent towards the back of the camper, so I'm thinking there's another leak somewhere back there.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Nope, sold Little Guy. This is on my 1982 13' Scamp.
You confused me because you still have the Little Guy listed as your trailer. But my statement of water traveling still applies. Had that issue with our Uhaul, leaks drove me nuts trying to locate the source.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Georgia
Yeah, can't figure out how to edit my profile. Suggestions?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
To change Avatar/Profile info:

Click on "User CP" at the top of this page- it'll take you to your control panel. "Profile/Edit details" is an option there.

Do be sure to click on "save changes" at the bottom of the page when finished, or it'll just revert to whatever is there now. (Go ahead- try to guess how I know that )

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I would take out back benches, check water tank, water tank inlet, back window, all water lines in that area, taillights mounts even bolt holes for spare. With benchs out you could pull up ensolite a bit if that would help to isolate if you dont think it is the vent. May have to douse it with water to get it to leak again, hard to find if its not a active leak
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

Registry
If you dont see any water damage under the benches I would be included to first element the two most probable cases. Run a hose full power over your vent for a few minutes do you start to see water dripping. No water - then do the same on the back window.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm betting on the window, check the little clean out slots for dirt, if they are open then you need to figure if it is around the window frame or around the glass within the frame.
Then we can advise.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Humm, the leak could also be coming from the spare tire mount....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

Georgia
Great places for me to start my investigation. Thanks all. Out of town on business. First chance to look at it will be Thursday evening. Crazy weekend, too, with my little one's birthday party and Mother's Day. Will let y'all know what I discover.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Courtney, I would suggest that you start low and go very slowly over the trailer with someone on the outside while you check for leaks on the inside. The water has to travel under the wall covering and work it's way via gravity and the path of least resistance, to the lowest points. We found a combination of nearly plugged weep holes in the window frames, and dried up window frame sealant. I removed the plastic weep hole covers, unplugged the holes, and actually used my drill to enlarge the holes for better drainage. I replaced the weep hole covers and then placed a piece of Scotch Bright pad in between the cover and the frame (out of sight) to keep the bugs out . They drain quickly now. The window frames were removed, cleaned, and fresh butyl placed on the frames prior to reinstalling them. I also noticed a leak around the gravity water fill, so that was replaced with butyl in between. I'll give another tip for filling the fresh water tank. I threaded a soft flexible hose within the gravity water fill, so I could place a reducer on my water hose and attach it to the small flexible hose. This allows one to quickly force fill the tank. I just detach the water hose and leave the flexible hose within the fill hose. Hope this helps. Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Humm, the leak could also be coming from the spare tire mount....
Good point or perhaps the table mounts.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My 19 scamp leaked at the seam behind the board the table screws into. You can see the white caulk in the top right corner of the square the board was in. I'm going to fiberglass it, but that stopped it from leaking during a pouring rain, right after I put the new floor in.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #18

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Just had a problem with mine. Owner had let it set for a year. Even though it was parked under a carport type cover; Mud Dobbers had stopped up most of the small outside window vents. When it rained instead of draining it was filling the window tracts and over flowing into the unit. With water and weed eater string; (My wife inside with a towel). Now all is clean, dry and draining as it should. Good luck with the adventure.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #19

Georgia
Removing dinette benches

How do I get these things off?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Lift the cushions, look for screws along the top near the outside wall and inside along the floor.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote