How warm are Scamps with ensolite? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Julian, I don't have a 16', but have had 2 13' Scamps. One had the ensolite, and our present one has the rat fur. I feel that both do a fair job. I, like in #10 post, prefer a catalyst heater while boon docking, but use a small electric cube heater when connected to 110 volts, even though we had the furnace in both. I just don't like the cycling on & off with the furnace and the battery power it eats. Please post lots of pictures of your re-do. Thanks and best of luck.
Dave & Paula

Old 10-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
To Carol H: I know removing the old ensolite is hard, that's why I was thinking of gluing a second layer on top of the original one... not sure if that would work, but not sure if that is necessary at all...
Well any time you add something to the walls with some R value it will improve it. Scamp does sell the Rat Fur online at a not to bad price, compared to other Marine Headliners which is what it is. The shipping from them to Canada will kill you (also a big bill of customs fees added on) though so best to use a border post office service when buying from them - also anything you get from them your always best to ask them to send via US Postal rather than their preferred carrier. They may or may not do that depending on the size of the item. You may find that one of the marine suppliers around you is better deal - even though the per yard price may be a little higher - you would be avoiding the high shipping costs.

Re the heater - if your camping with power a small cube heater from Walmart will do you just fine - if its *really* cold though make sure you keep cabinet doors open so your water lines dont freeze up on you. If no power a number of people use the small Buddy Heaters but you need to be real careful in regards to making sure you have good ventilation when using and probable not a great idea to use while sleeping.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Steve, are you SURE you've got Rat Fur glued over ensolite? I only ask, because my trailer is one year older than yours and it has Rat Fur glued over Reflectix.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
So you have rat fur (the headliner material) glued on top of ensolite? I had no idea some Scamps were done like this... How thick is the rat fur - i.e. does it add any insulation or it is just for decoration?
Scamps have had the foil bubble insulation and the headliner (rat fur) since at least 88 as Donna has it on hers.

The Foil bubble insulation is glued to the fiberglass shell and the Headliner is glued on top of that. I have and I know others have used the 3M Spray to reattach the headliner or foil if we have had to remove some of it for what ever reason.

If you go to the Scamp webpage to their on line parts department you will see Headliner Wall Liner. I am guessing but its probable just under or around a 1/4" thick. Scamp also have the foil bubble insulation in the parts department as well they call it Foil Ray but its pretty well the same stuff you buy at Home Depot in a big roll.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Reflectix is wasted

If you glue Reflectix to the shell and then glue Ensolite or rat fur to that, you are not getting the benefit you should. Go to the Reflectix website.

The World’s Largest Manufacturer of Reflective Insulation and Radiant Barrier Products

They say that all installations require an air space on at least one side of the product.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
They say that all installations require an air space on at least one side of the product.
Yup they do say that and its been debated here lots of times, as you know there is no air pocket on the Scamp...
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #21

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Julian
I have an older 5er with ensolite which I use for hunting in the mountains in the winter. I usually gets down to the low teens or below at night. I have a roll of reflectix which I unroll to cover the walls and windows. I use it in the upper sleeping area which also has a curtain. It tucks behind the cushions and I let the curtain rod holders stick through and I reinstall the curtain rods to hold the top of the reflectix. It really helps with heat retention and after hunting season I remove it, roll it up and store it in the garage until next winter.
Eddie
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #22

Oregon
I think the windows and floor are the greatest areas for heat loss. If you can figure methods to insulate both, you'll be ahead of the game. For windows, reflectix works well. Some folks have locking foam pads (think childrens play areas) to insulate the floor.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #23

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Steve, are you SURE you've got Rat Fur glued over ensolite? I only ask, because my trailer is one year older than yours and it has Rat Fur glued over Reflectix.
No, I'm not sure what the material is underneath the rat fur. I'm going to go with your assessment and say it is Reflectix. Can you tell me what the differences are? Just curious.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My 84' 19' scamp has ensolite and a small electric heater works fine down to freezing.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #25

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
No, I'm not sure what the material is underneath the rat fur. I'm going to go with your assessment and say it is Reflectix. Can you tell me what the differences are? Just curious.
Reflectix is a silver-colored "bubble wrap." Ensolite is a closed-cell, vinyl covered "sponge." If you have Reflectix, like I have, if you push (gently) on the walls you'll hear it kinda make a crinkly noise. Not quiet like Ensolite. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #26

Name: Julian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
British Columbia
My old trailer (which I built myself) has a 1 1/2" pink foam insulation from Home Depot on all walls and 2" white Styrofoam insulation on the floor. It has an ATWOOD 26,000 BTU furnace, which is an overkill for it being just a bit larger than the 16' Scamp. This furnace can make it hot inside in any weather, even the coldest Canadian winter. It can make it steaming hot at -15C (5F). The problem is it wastes a lot of propane and battery power. In spite of having so much insulation, that trailer looses heat fast, because of too many gaps between the foam pieces and a door that does not seal well. Still it is better insulated than a new "standard" non fiberglass trailer - I know this because we camp together with friends who have such trailers.

Now I am planning to install that same furnace on the Scamp. I have no doubt that it can make the Scamp steaming hot as well. My big question mark is - is it going to hold heat better or worse compared to my old trailer. I need to make it efficient for a number of reasons, one of them being comfort. If the trailer looses heat fast, there is too much temperature fluctuation, which feels unpleasant.

So I need a reference point comparing a Scamp to a standard non fiberglass trailer. If the Scamp is not as efficient as other trailers, I need to fix this now. This is what I am thinking based on your comments. The Scamp's insulation is only 1/8" thick Ensolite, but it has the advantage that it has no gaps. The whole shell is like one piece and is insulated everywhere (except floor and windows). It cannot be much worse compared to my old trailer, but it cannot be better I imagine.

But if I put Reflectix on top of the Ensolite and then headliner on top of the Reflectix, it will probably get better than my old trailer, which is the goal.

Based on your experiences does that sound correct?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Ensolite is a rubber/foam while the Reflectix is made of foil with air bubbles in between the two layers of foil. If as you say you can push on the rat fur of your trailer and you can feel it give a little bit its most likely Reflectix or Foil Ray as Scamp calls it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #28

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Ensolite is a rubber/foam while the Reflectix is made of foil with air bubbles in between the two layers of foil. If as you say you can push on the rat fur of your trailer and you can feel it give a little bit its most likely Reflectix or Foil Ray as Scamp calls it.
Reflectix/Foil Ray it is! It definitely isn't foam like at all. Thanks,

Tags
scamp