How warm are Scamps with ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Name: Julian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
British Columbia
How warm are Scamps with ensolite?

I just bought a 1987 16' Scamp. It has only a thin layer of ensolite insulation. It is a very basic model with no furnace (I will be adding one though), so there is no way to test its ability to keep warmth.

I am starting to renovate it, but since I like camping in freezing temperatures, I am wondering will this thin ensolite skin be sufficient or I need to do something about it, while I am at it.

Please share how does the ensolite lined Scam compare to "normal" trailers with foam or other types of insulation. And also what options do I have to put a better insulation: is the ASTRO-FOIL/headliner combination on newer Scamps any better? Or alternatively can I glue a second layer of ensolite on top of the existing one?
JulianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
mine's a 1977... I went camping last weekend in it with 30degree temps...

It made a good refrigerator! It was warmer outside than in come morning, but I have no heat in mine. Heat is on the ta-do list!
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The foil and headliner combo on the newer Scamps - if you can call a 92 such as mine newer ;-) are indeed better. But be warned removing the liner on their now and replacing it is a BIG job and not cheap - cant tell you how many people have jumped right in and ripped out the old liners on their trailer and then we see the same trailer go up for sale some time later missing the liner as it wasnt budgeted for in time or money....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Insulating the windows will help alot. The other big issue is the area behind the refrigerator so much thermal loss there. But you need to be vented for the propane and refrigerator to work. You can insulate the floor at least that will help alot.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

British Columbia
Yes, I have all those things in mind, but I do not have a reference point - how good or how bad is my stock trailer right now....

To Carol H: I know removing the old ensolite is hard, that's why I was thinking of gluing a second layer on top of the original one... not sure if that would work, but not sure if that is necessary at all...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
I have a cure for my heating issues.... I go to Florida for the winter!

I still have the original elephant skin in mine.

What do you do for insulating the windows? Good for future reference when New England temps decide to drop too early for me! I'm picturing that shrink wrap stuff at Walmart.
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #7

Registry
I made new curtains with thermal linings that helped a lot.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
The ensolite is not the best but does keep the moisture from forming on the walls when you heat the inside. A good furnace is a good bet when camping in cold weather.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

Registry
I have also cut out the bubble foil stuff to fit inside window frames when camping in *really* cold weather.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We have an 89 Scamp that has rat fur and a small heater. It often gets so warm in the middle of the night that I have to uncover myself! Our heater is, I think, called a WAVE and it's very powerful but doesn't seem to use much propane. It's about 8 inches square and sticks out about an inch from the cabinet it's in.

We usually turn it on high to start and then we lower it down once the trailer is warmer. The key, we've learned, is that in 0-20 F degree weather, we need to start the heat before the sun goes down... even a half our or an hour. That way, the trailer gets a bit of time to "catch" up. Once it's warmed up, it seems like it takes very little (LOW setting) to maintain the warm temperature.

I can't really tell you how the Scamps compare to other trailers with foam. We've only had one night where my husband was cold (baby!) and that was when I learned that the heat must come on before it gets dark. Other than that, we can keep it warmer than I usually keep our house with no problem at all.

We've never taken our rat fur off but I'm assuming there's ensolite behind it. Can anyone confirm?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
We've never taken our rat fur off but I'm assuming there's ensolite behind it. Can anyone confirm?
Just push on the wall and you should feel the foil bubble insulation that is behind the rat fur give a little - if it doesnt have it but as you have rat fur I suspect it does - you will feel nothing but hard fiberglass behind it. Look inside a hatch and lift a bit of rat fur up to see the foil insulation.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks, Carol. So, yes, we have ensolite. I guess I just wasn't sure if what I was feeling/seeing is ensolite or not. Anyways, whatever it is, it works great!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #13

British Columbia
So you have rat fur (the headliner material) glued on top of ensolite? I had no idea some Scamps were done like this... How thick is the rat fur - i.e. does it add any insulation or it is just for decoration?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
So you have rat fur (the headliner material) glued on top of ensolite? I had no idea some Scamps were done like this... How thick is the rat fur - i.e. does it add any insulation or it is just for decoration?
Yes, that's right -- it's very similar to what I've seen in a variety of sailboats. It's not overly thick and I'm not sure it has many insulating properties (although anything helps, right?) but it helps with condensation. Originally I was not a fan because it can't be cleaned very easily but now I like it. Makes it feel warmer and more cozy inside.

Others on the forum can probably give you more details about it because all I really know is that my Scamp came this way. I also have no idea how it'd be installed except that it's just glued on... maybe some spray adhesive would do the trick?

I'll try to take a picture of it tonight if it's not too dark by the time I get home.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Julian, I don't have a 16', but have had 2 13' Scamps. One had the ensolite, and our present one has the rat fur. I feel that both do a fair job. I, like in #10 post, prefer a catalyst heater while boon docking, but use a small electric cube heater when connected to 110 volts, even though we had the furnace in both. I just don't like the cycling on & off with the furnace and the battery power it eats. Please post lots of pictures of your re-do. Thanks and best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
To Carol H: I know removing the old ensolite is hard, that's why I was thinking of gluing a second layer on top of the original one... not sure if that would work, but not sure if that is necessary at all...
Well any time you add something to the walls with some R value it will improve it. Scamp does sell the Rat Fur online at a not to bad price, compared to other Marine Headliners which is what it is. The shipping from them to Canada will kill you (also a big bill of customs fees added on) though so best to use a border post office service when buying from them - also anything you get from them your always best to ask them to send via US Postal rather than their preferred carrier. They may or may not do that depending on the size of the item. You may find that one of the marine suppliers around you is better deal - even though the per yard price may be a little higher - you would be avoiding the high shipping costs.

Re the heater - if your camping with power a small cube heater from Walmart will do you just fine - if its *really* cold though make sure you keep cabinet doors open so your water lines dont freeze up on you. If no power a number of people use the small Buddy Heaters but you need to be real careful in regards to making sure you have good ventilation when using and probable not a great idea to use while sleeping.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Steve, are you SURE you've got Rat Fur glued over ensolite? I only ask, because my trailer is one year older than yours and it has Rat Fur glued over Reflectix.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Scamps have had the foil bubble insulation and the headliner (rat fur) since at least 88 as Donna has it on hers.

The Foil bubble insulation is glued to the fiberglass shell and the Headliner is glued on top of that. I have and I know others have used the 3M Spray to reattach the headliner or foil if we have had to remove some of it for what ever reason.

If you go to the Scamp webpage to their on line parts department you will see Headliner Wall Liner. I am guessing but its probable just under or around a 1/4" thick. Scamp also have the foil bubble insulation in the parts department as well they call it Foil Ray but its pretty well the same stuff you buy at Home Depot in a big roll.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Reflectix is wasted

If you glue Reflectix to the shell and then glue Ensolite or rat fur to that, you are not getting the benefit you should. Go to the Reflectix website.

The World’s Largest Manufacturer of Reflective Insulation and Radiant Barrier Products

They say that all installations require an air space on at least one side of the product.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
They say that all installations require an air space on at least one side of the product.
Yup they do say that and its been debated here lots of times, as you know there is no air pocket on the Scamp...

Tags
scamp