Hunter Compact II curtain rod issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Name: Rod
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
California
Hunter Compact II curtain rod issues

Can't seem to find any thread addressing this, so starting one. Busy doing light restoration on '73 trailer and curtains/rods funky. Difficulty however in installing new rods via attaching to metal window trim, with side windows also being complicated because of parallelogram shape. Had looked for stretchable coiled spring-like tension rods but no luck. Any suggestions from more experienced DIY folks? Thanks.
rodjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Your local hardware store should have various length and diameter springs used to close screen doors. I have used several of these hooked together to hang our large curtain that separates the bed area from the living room in our Lil Snoozy.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
I'm not staying where my Compact is located, and I can't find any photos of what I used, but I recall buying three wrap around black curtain rods and screwing them to the existing window frames. Found the rods at Walmart.

I had taken off the original rectangular aluminum window curtain plates; didn't like the looks of them.

These rods are working fine, they stay put and the wrap around feature keeps more light out.

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

California

Thank you both for quick reply. I had gotten some rods from a Walmart and they mostly work but aren't ready for vehicle vibration, causing rod to jump off holding clip/hook. But maybe a good rubber band wrap will fix that. Didn't know what kind of springs to hunt for but took your suggestion and went to three local hardware stores. Unfortunately, none carried anything but the short and stout kind, e.g. 3-4 inches with 1/2 inch diameter. But will keep on the track and see what turns up. Good suggestions.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Hi Rod,
Glad to be of assistance. My curtain rods stay put, as well as the cabinet doors in my Compact, with just ordinary hardware. I guess the trailer doesn't bounce around much. But we used to have a Scamp 16 that looked like a ransacked house unless we fastened everything down.

Using a rubber band or small bungee is a good idea to hold your curtain rods in place. I will send you some pictures of my rods when I get back to my trailer in about a month.

Fran
'74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodjones View Post
. . . vehicle vibration, causing rod to jump off holding clip/hook.
Hi Rod, I secured my curtain rods to the holding clips with small zip ties.
Attached Thumbnails
tied curtain rod.jpg   zip tie.jpg  

Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
francene our 13f scamper is a bouncer what pressure are you running your trailer tires I am going to drop mine to 40lb and see if that helps?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
francene our 13f scamper is a bouncer what pressure are you running your trailer tires I am going to drop mine to 40lb and see if that helps?

bob
The issue is not the tires, Bob, it's the rubber torsion axle. Either it's overrated for the weight of your trailer, or it's nearing the end of its life cycle. Lowering tire pressure might help a little (subject to the manufacturer's load-inflation chart), but it's not the solution.

I believe Compacts have a leaf spring axle, so the issues are somewhat different. There is no rubber to age out and become brittle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Jon our 13f scamper has a new frame under it. getting ready to go trouting next week about a 70m trip going to lower tire pressure and see what happens. I haven't looked at any charts but I am thinking a tire pressure of 50lbs is for a peak rating and the scamp is no where near that. I have a feeling this is sort of like everything else a lot of engineering guess work!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

California
Curtain rod solutions

Seems like this thread got corrupted but again my thanks for all who offered suggestions. Turns out I did finally locate the extension springs for screen doors that would work but gave up after concluding that I'd need about 13 of them that totaled over $40. So I'm using sturdy rubber bands and likely to move to the zip ties Brian mentioned. Spending my money on new curtains instead and for now!