Hunter Compact Jr Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: compat jr
Washington
Hunter Compact Jr Repair

Hi All...I have recently acquired one of these cuties and (for the most part) it is on good shape. I am, however, having a heck of a time with a few things I am hoping someone out there can help with and I will make sure and post all suggestions that work for anyone who follows in my wake.
1-Sagging roof: I have reviewed the posts on and around this site. There are a number of ideas and I am left wondering how they are holding up and I am concerned about having a lot of weight up on the roof. I like the idea of wood beams that are shaped to the curvature of he roof-line but again am concerned of the added weight?
2-Canvas- Oh Boy! I really though this was going to be as simple as calling someone who does this on a regular basis and ordering a replacement. Not so...I have some calls in to folks suggested throughout this site but I have nothing solid and the wife gives me looks when I say I can do it myself (she knows me too well)
3-Front (rock) window cover. Anyone know where/if these are available?
4- Painting - The dude we bought it from threw on a bunch of crappy white paint. I am not convinced I need to take it to (and pay for) a body shop paint job...any ideas?
5-Any remodel ideas/pics are appreciated. It is in good shape but we are looking to remodel 90% (over time)
All my thanks for any helps....
Happy trails
Dan
ducklakedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
I can speak to the sagging roof Dan......

My roof has a little sag and after a rain a small puddle will collect. But it doesn't collect where the screw holes are on the ends from the raising and latching hardware.

If it collected there it might cause some leaking at the screw holes.

I thought about fixing it but the reality is that after the sun comes out the puddle disappears.

And when I raise or lower the roof with a puddle it just drains off the roof.

It doesn't find its way into the trailer.

If you had a really big sag that caused some other problem you might want to fix it. But if a sunny day makes the water go away I wouldn't worry about it.

Please post some photos of your "new" camper!
Attached Thumbnails
cushion bungees.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: compat jr
Washington
Hi John,
Nice to know people are still posting. Thanks for the reply. This is more than a little sag...unfortunately...and you are soooo right...I need to post pics along the way to (hopefully) get some help and be of help to others in the way I have been helped by the other posts around this site. I will get on that.
By the by...where did you find that table? I was planning on something different but I really like the look...does it "jiggle" or is it pretty stable?
ducklakedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
the table is quite sturdy Dan.....

It's made for a pontoon boat, bought at a marine store for a little under forty bucks. I like the cup holders and it is much lighter than the round table that came with it from the previous owner.

The round table is pretty heavy and was too wide to go on the floor between the seats when switching from dinette to bed.

Now the round tabletop sits on my spare tire on the trailer tongue in the backyard to keep the sun away.
Attached Thumbnails
new old dinette.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Although mine is a Compact-II and has a different interior and body shell from the Jr. most of the issues are about the same.

1. Unless you have cracks or leaks I'd leave the top until later, almost all of them have sags.

2. The canvas is a continuous strip of fabric, usually 4 sections, all the same width. I got quoted of about $400 from a local canvas work shop for an all new one. As my fabric was still good I just had them replace the screens and window covers, that was $200

3. The original rock guard was fabricated out of aluminum extrusions and fiberglass panels. You could make about the same thing with aluminum channel stock and fiberglass sheeting and available hardware. There are custom made ones available but they are very expensive.

4. Having a body shop do a repaint is prohibitively expensive. $2000+ and needed repairs is not uncommon. While the existing paint will have to be removed or at least stabilized, repainting with quality marine paint, such as Interlux Topside Marine coating, using the "Roll and Tip" method of application can be accomplished at home.

5. Here are 2 links to my Compact-II for additional ideas

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Hunter Mods 2014 Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote