Hunter Compact ll S/N? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Hunter Compact ll S/N?

I am looking at photos of a Hunter Compact trailer that is supposed to be a 1973 model Hunter ll.

The S/N is supposed to be C-1405 or 1406,

Can anyone give me any information about whether this number sounds right for 1973?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Bill Nolen
OKC
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Serial numbers

Bill, my 1974 Compact I is number S1973. The registration shows 51973. The number on the tongue of my 1975 Hunter Compact II is S-1948. The registration shows 51948. Here in Oregon the DMV comes out and checks the Vin number to verify.
To my knowledge they stopped manufacturing in 1975.
The 1975 also has a DMR,I A on the tongue just before the Vin.
Hope this helps.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
Dave, thank you very much for the reply.

Since I posted my message about the SN I received a photo showing the trailer.

The trailer is some distant from my home in Oklahoma City, and since there is some question about the trailer's title, I'm waiting until the title is clear before traveling to view the trailer.

Here is the photo I received:

Do you think it is a Compact Junior or Compact ll?

Since you own both models...which one do you like the best? And why?

Thanks again...I appreciate your help!

Bill Nolen
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
My 1973 Compact II has a S/N of SC1403. Sounds like a sibling of the one you are viewing! It looks like this one is missing the front gravel guard, but still has side window awnings where mine just has holes. The exterior looks pretty good from the picture. If it was a Compact Jr. the pop top would be longer, going almost all the way to the front. My CII has a potty closet on the right just inside back door. My understanding is that CI had different configuration of closets and longer bed with no potty option.

Sent from my Touchpad using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Anne, thank you for the reply! Everyone here seems so very nice!

I was told that there is a toilet in a closet in the trailer, with a closing door.

Does your Compact still have the built-in potty? If so, have you had much problems with it because of it's age?

I have only viewed a Compact trailer many years ago, and it had what I thought was two bunk beds at the front of the trailer. Do I understand correctly that the Compact ll has a different sleeping setup? I really wanted two bunk beds!

Any comments will be appreciated.

Bill Nolen
Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If the price is right ya better grab it fast, it looks a lot nicer than most I have seen.

There are three compacts
Compact Jr. Has flat sides, full length pop-top and a 4 piece shell. They are basically, a tent with a kitchen and were very basic inside. On the flip side they have a very large bed and more headroom at the front.
Compact-I Has the sculptured shell as shown, but again had few options, they are actually fairly rare.
Compact-II had a number of options available including the bathroom and bunk beds. Bathrooms are fairly common, but the bunk bed option is very rare, don't wait until you find one before buying.

Just this week I took the fixed toilet out of my Compact-II. It uses up a lot of space and is only used 2-3% of the time, not a good space investment. I now have a slide out porta potty and tons more storage and clothes hanging space. Here are two links to mine, both before and after the most recent updates.
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Hunter Mods 2014 Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

There is a description of the modifications in my post in the Modifications forum.
15:42

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

California
Yes, the potty still works. I only just bought the trailer so haven't used it extensively. No bunk beds. The rear table makes into one large bed about 78 inches side to side and 59 inches front to back. I have seen mods to make two narrow beds on each side in the back by removing some of the front cabinetry. I think the Jr. And the Compact 1 have beds that are longer front to back, which would make it easier to have two beds side by side.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Anne, thank you once again for your reply'

I received three more photo showing the insides:

What does the inside photos tell you?

Thanks or you help. Would you mind mking a guess as wha would be a fair price for this Compact?

Thanks again,

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-N-Ice View Post
Yes, the potty still works. I only just bought the trailer so haven't used it extensively. No bunk beds. The rear table makes into one large bed about 78 inches side to side and 59 inches front to back. I have seen mods to make two narrow beds on each side in the back by removing some of the front cabinetry. I think the Jr. And the Compact 1 have beds that are longer front to back, which would make it easier to have two beds side by side.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #9

California
The inside looks similar to the 1973 Compact II trailers that i looked at. No shot of the right side cabinets, which include the double rooted cabinet for the marine toilet and the adjacent drawers with the refrigerator on top. Pictures can not really tell you what the condition is. Ask more questions. Has there been any leaks? Any modifications? What works, what doesn't. Axle, brakes or no, etc. There is a buyer's checklist on this site, i believe in the document center.
Price is wildly subjective. First you must determine what it is worth to YOU, then get a feel for what it is worth in your area. For example, if you want bunk beds, how much is it worth to get a trailer that has them? Are you willing/able to modify to get them? Determine what you can pay for a trailer that has everything you want and then subtract from that price the amount it will cost you to repair or modify. If demand/price is higher in your area (as it seems to be here in SoCal), you may have to adjust your price vs expectations.
In my case, my list included weight under 1500 lbs, a dedicated sleeping area, excellent ventilation and solid walls. I preferred to be able to stand and have a place to sit if it rained. I looked for some months at teardrops, T@B trailers, and A liners in CA and AZ. Oh, did I mention my price point was $3000? Yeah, that wasn't working so well. That is why I chose to get an older FB and fix it to what I want. You may or may not have the same vision.
Read lots of posts on the forums here and look over the classifieds, both current and archived to get a feel for the kind of pitfalls and expectations of condition/price you might encounter. Keep in mind that asking price is not necessarily the final accepted price. And let us know how it turns out for you!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #10

California
Sorry, that would have said double DOORED cabinet, not rooted.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Anne, again thank you very much for your comments!

As soon a the seller has a good clear title I'll take a look at the trailer, and know better what I'm going to do. My wife keeps telling me to just go look now and decide if it's worth worrying about!

She is right most of the time...but, it's raining, the seller lives on a muddy road, and I don't want to get my hopes up if they can't clear the title.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you wait until the weather is better, the roads are dry, and the title is sorted, about 10 other buyers will have already bought it.....

If it were moi, I would go look at it and give the seller a deposit to hold until the title was cleared. Also get a bill of sale (showing the balance due) to discourage it being sold out from under you. There just aren't that many out there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #13

California
Your wife sounds like a wise and understanding woman! If that pesky rain is bothering you, try sending it west! :-)

Old 07-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
Ha! I'd be a fool to say otherwise!

But, yes, she is that, and much more! As many people have told me...they can't understand why she ever married me!

We are indeed very lucky to be getting rain in July. Useally in Oklahoma, in July, it's 95 to 100 plus degrees, and dry as an old bone. However, I'd be glad to share the rain with you if I could!

I'm going to look at the trailer in the morning....if I can make it down a very muddy farm road!~

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-N-Ice View Post
Your wife sounds like a wise and understanding woman! If that pesky rain is bothering you, try sending it west! :-)

Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
you know, it might be a good idea for someone to start a serial number list for these trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Registry
That is a good idea. In fact about 14-years ago I was looking to buy a West Wight Potter 15 sailboat. No owners list existed at that time, so being the fool that I am, I started a Potter Owners web site and owners List.

The website grew and grew until I was spending many hours a week maintaining the web site.

International Marine's West Wight Potter Owner's Home Port, Potter Sailboats, Sailboats

Sold it several years ago to the Manufacture of the Potter sailboats!

Such a list would work great with this web site.

Bill Nolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
you know, it might be a good idea for someone to start a serial number list for these trailers.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Registry
Greetings all,

I went and took a look at the Compact ll this morning.

Using a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a haul away shell, and 10 being restored like new, I'd rate the trailer at a 4. It's not a bad looking trailer, just a bit shabby looking, and showing 41 years of use.

I might have rated it higher except for the following defects.

1. Numerious unfilled small drill holes here and there on the fiberglas outside.

2. Cracked front window.

3. Missing rock guard..with one of the arms hanging loose!

4. Pop-Top polytype tenting had tears in it.

5.Refrigerator was a installed 110 volt dorm type, In addition, there was no double outside vents to inducate that a 3-way refrigerator had ever been installed!

I was not able to check out the water pump, water supply, lights, hot-water tank, etc. because there was no water or electric power available.

The wood work, cabinets, were in good condition...needing only some paint.

All in all not a bad trailer. Overpriced, but I most likely will buy it, if and when the seller gets a good title!

Bill Nolen
OKC