Hunter/Compact Pop-Up Hard to open - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Hunter/Compact Pop-Up Hard to open

The pop-up on Tidbit ('74 Hunter) is hard to lift. Is this normal? When we got her, she was missing a stand-off and screw on one side. We assumed that replacing it would make the pop-up easy to lift (ie some thing that I at 5'5" and reasonably strong could do) Nope. 6'1" husband can lift it but it involves grunting and puffing. The springs are there and the slides move easily in their tracks. Any thoughts or suggestions?

And while we're talking about it, has anyone replaced their lift mechanism with gas piston/struts like the ones used on a car hatch?
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The upper roof on my Compact Jr weighs 67 lbs. To raise it you are lifting the weight of one end, then the other end. There are no springs or other devices to help with the weight. So, I keep the track lubricated and then muscle it up. I know the Trails West Campster has springs but I've not seen any on a Hunter product.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #3

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Hi Tom, there is no way on our pop-up to lift one end and have it stay up. The scissors are on the sides and there is a long skinny spring between the slides. The prop to hold it open is in the middle of scissors. Please ignore the block of wood, we used it before we replaced the stand off and screw.
Attached Thumbnails
lift mechanism.jpg  
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Compact
California
I have a similar problem. A previous owner/modifier changed the whole mechanism so it's no longer a scissor. But it's a hassle and a bit of effort the get the top up. Has anyone found a good aftermarket or other solution?
John Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Loyce,

You say that the slides move easily in their tracks. That's good. But I suggest you use a spray lubricant at each metal-to-metal contact of the entire mechanism. I used WD-40 on mine, worked the mechanism up and down several times, and then sprayed it a second time. The odor stayed around for a few days, but I can now raise the top with the palm of one hand in the center without a lot of effort. If that doesn't work, I would wonder if one of the metal arms has been bent slightly out of shape.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
gas piston modification

This video (at 6:10) shows a gas piston substitution for the original top-raising mechanism on a Hunter Compact Jr.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1&&FORM=VRDGAR
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #7

Name: Amy
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Oklahoma
Thanks for posting this video. My Compact Jr has this same lift mechanisms and one of the arms is really tough to get in position. I may seriously consider using the pistons/shocks. That would be so much easier!
AmyHillburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
Looking at the picture provided by Loyce, on the lower right hand side there is a crew missing and a thicker washer to support the mechanism It's a 10 24 screw needed. Just an observation of the picture.
Roy Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote