Hydro flame furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Hi all,

I have spent some time searching looking for answers for my furnace problem. I have a 1972 boler with a hydro flame furnace manufactured by Traco serial #306604 (the model number has worn away so I can't find a manual online and I have been thru all the documents on this site and a few other). I am able to light the pilot flame and it stays on (no problem). I have a nice blue flame and it does come in contact with the thermo-coupler. My problem is that, it does not fire up the main burner. I cannot find the manual online so don't know where to start to take it apart or make any fixes. I would like to take it apart and give the burner a good cleaning as that seems to be everyones first recommendation, so would appreciate help. The following are my main concerns that I would like assistance with. I have also attached a photo of my furnace in case that helps.

1. I would like a copy of my furnace manual
2. Any help for why the main burner does not start (I have a strong pilot that does stay on)
3. Any tips for removing the main pilot/burner for this type of furnace
4. Any help on identifying the model #

Thank you for all the help
Attached Thumbnails
erik.jpg  
eriksob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
If your pilot stays lit that means the thermocouple is good.

I hate to ask this but I have done this myself, are you turning the control fully to the on position after the pilot is established?

I once spent a very cold night with only the pilot for heat because I spaced out turning the red knob to on.

I have not been able to locate a manual for that furnace.
Those furnaces are the best for boon docking, I wish they still made them.
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 / 1990 Chevy S10 PU
Quote:
If your pilot stays lit that means the thermocouple is good.

I hate to ask this but I have done this myself, are you turning the control fully to the on position after the pilot is established?

I once spent a very cold night with only the pilot for heat because I spaced out turning the red knob to on.

I have not been able to locate a manual for that furnace.
Those furnaces are the best for boon docking, I wish they still made them.
Check at the back of the furnace where the air mixture slider is. A lot of times you will find a small spider web across the opening or inside the brass jet. Remove the jet and blow it out. be very careful that you don't cross thread it when replacing the jet.
Eric
Eric Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
Here is a link to a 1979 Boler manual in PDF
79 boler pdf

Below is an excerpt from it with operating directions

Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroflame_1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	25676
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Here is a link to a 1979 Boler manual in PDF
We also have a number of manuals in the Document Center:
Boler Manuals

Here's a link to the HydroFlame manuals:
Furnace Manuals
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
I have a 1972 Boler American with a Wagon Master Furnace. I found the grease filled capilary tube was plugged so that the pilot would burn but not allow the furnace to go to high flame or control in any way. I have found a new european convection furnace controller made by honeywell that may work as a direct replacement. I don't have the cash to try it now but will attempt that retrofit it this coming year.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
I have a 1972 Boler American with a Wagon Master Furnace. I found the grease filled capilary tube was plugged so that the pilot would burn but not allow the furnace to go to high flame or control in any way. I have found a new european convection furnace controller made by honeywell that may work as a direct replacement. I don't have the cash to try it now but will attempt that retrofit it this coming year.
Marty, do you have a web link to the furnace controller? I also have a Wagon Master furnace in my 74 Boler that works OK but is hard to light. I will be taking it out of the trailer for an overhaul in the spring. I am toying with the idea of putting in a barbeque-type piezo igniter to light the pilot light, so that I don't have to stick a flame into the furnace every time, but a new controller might be worth considering as well.

Thanks,
Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Here is a link to a Hydroflame Furnace dealer. Apparently they are still made and are available:

http://www.ducktec.com/rv-furnace-parts.html

(Has Atwood and Traco - seems both use the name Hydro Flame.)

Hmm. What is the large round thing? All the pictures on the website show a rectangular shoe box type shape.

Looking at your photo again, the tube in front of the white dial seems to be pinched.

In your picture, it doesn't look like the round door is closed by the thumb nut. Rotate the door open, unscrew the nut, close the door and screw the nut tight closing the door tightly.

There is that cigar shaped object. Looks like some kind of pick up for heat control. Is that supposed to go into the round burner?

Here is a Hydroflame troubleshooting website:

http://www.rvmechanic.com/current_category...rum_thread.html

I presume we are looking at the furnace through an outside access door?

Another point, after 37 years, who knows what modifications a previous owner did.

All the websites reccommend utilizing a certified gas mechanic. Probably a good idea. Gas is dangerous.

Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace