hydro flame furnace only works on 120ac - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
hydro flame furnace only works on 120ac

Hi all, today I was working through the appliances in our Bigfoot 17 (1984). I was pretending we were in the boondocks and only had the battery hooked up.

I am bummed out that the furnace , hydro flame hf80 with piezo manual lighter did not work despite following the manual explicitly for procedure. Simply put, theblower fan is much slower on 12v DC and just runs and runs without throwing heat. The pilot stays lit no prob.

I.knew the furnace worked on 120/AC so I tried that and indeed it works great!! Blower fan runs much faster.

The manual shows only 12v DC power input. I am stumped why converted 120ac to DC power via the inverter runs the furnace just fine but direct off the battery no go.

BTW the battery is brand new fully charged AGM group 31, lots of juice ....any suggestions would be very appreciated to start solving this problem. A working furnace in the bush is a must !!
Thanks John
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

British Columbia
Reading the manual again and CindyL thread on help w her furnace , my situation almost for sure has something to do with the sail switch. As mentioned the fan speed is significantly slower when running off a full battery vs 120 shore power. I wonder if this is an inverter issue. Has the original 15 A "power centre" by SMI.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If the blower does not run fast enough, the sail switch will not activate to fire the burner. The sail switch measures air flow and if it senses little or no air, the burner will not light. If the converter has enough power when connected to shore power to make everything work, I would suspect there is a voltage issue from the battery. Could be a bad connection from the battery or possibly your new battery is bad. Unlikely that it's a battery problem but maybe.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks Jack. Posted at the same time! Yes , time to dig into some wiring I suppose. Sigh. I tested the battery 12.59v.

The Power Center inverter is the appliance I do not have a manual for. Would be handy for wire colours / schematic.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Can you check the voltage at the furnace with the shore power disconnected ? It should also be 12.9.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

British Columbia
great idea Jack, at least one of us is thinking

Yes, just measured DC volts again at battery 12.55 , with fan running on furnace 10.02 ...quite relieved! But now discovered some wires melted and general butchery down in the driver's side front hatch where the main wires come into the trailer interior.

I think I will have to start a new trailer wiring thread specific to early 80s 17 BF.

Tags
furnace