I am no longer a virgin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
No, I meant it is LITERALLY black! The tank, that is, or at least spray painted on the outside. very.. black. Model T colored! I poked my head underneath thinking any shadows from.. well.. OK, you get the picture, might show up.. but NO!

And I ain't sticking my head in there! LOL!

I added no chemicals after rinsing. I will go do that now and dump some water in there. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #16

Name: LINDA
Trailer: Hunter 1 / Jeep Liberty
California
Registry
Gina,
My folks use the TP from Costco, with no problem in their tanks. It breaks up well.

Linda

Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't get too carried away with cleaning the black tank; it's not as if you are going to be drinking out of it or anything like that As long as you wait to dump it until it is somewhat full, and never hook it up at CGs so it is constantly draining (gray OK, black NO), you won't grow a dreaded Black Pyramid!

Home Test for TP -- Get a couple of Mason jars, partially fill with water and put in samples of various kinds of TP -- Let sit for a few days, shaking mildly occasionally and observe results (as long as you don't use used TP, you can drink from the jars ).
Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 AM   #18

West Coast USA
Registry
I will be sure to not do that
Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
California
Hi, Gina.

I'm pretty careful about dealing with the black water tank. Not obsessive, just careful. Here's a few things that I keep in mind:

1. While living in our trailer for several months (while building our house) we kept the gray water tank drain valve open, we closed it whenever we anticipated draining the black the next day. We would then use the gray water as a "chaser". When traveling, we keep the gray tank closed, emptying it after the black each time.

2. Keep anything having to do with fresh water separate from anything to do with the black water tank. Don't use your fresh water hose to connect to your wand, and, I'd advise, don't use your sink hose thread, handy as it might be, to hook up for your wand. Always stow your fresh water hose(s) coiled and screwed together so stuff can't get in.

3. Use gloves of some kind to prevent accidents from getting all over your hands.

4. Some dump stations clearly weren't built by RV'ers. I carry a couple of blocks I can back onto to raise the off side for better tank draining.

5. Don't worry too much about fastidiously cleaning after every dump. If you're using things pretty constantly, once a season is fine.

Because be were parked for an extended time this last year, and despite being very careful about toilet paper use, "IT" happened. Only, instead of a relatively accessible black pyramid beneath the toilet, a clog at the black tank outlet ensued. It took a lot of fiddling and a 6' piece of 10-3 w/gnd romex to poke it all loose. This kind of thing is one of the least fun RV activities I can imagine.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #20

West Coast USA
Registry
Unhappy

I wish
I
never
started
this
topic

OK, so this pyramid.. is it something I should use terms like "WHEN it happens" instead of "IF it happens"?

I can't wait for the day.

I actually have a bigger concern at the moment. I did chicken skewers and when I pulled the bird from the sticks, in the sink the sticks went.

I had 6. I dumped the noodle water into the sink, forgetting the sticks were in there. When I looked.. I only counted 3.

No doubt my "J" trap is now more like a lower case "w" trap.

Outside of pulling the trap, I can't think of an easy way to get them out before the blockage starts.

oy.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
In your tool box don't you have a 3 fingered retriever like every mechanic on earth owns? Usually kept next to the magnetic, extendable retriever. It is about 24" long, has a thumb button which when pushed opens the fingers so they can grab a small item. Or... use your alternative method of furthering your plumbing education.
Chalk it up to experience
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Gina, the dreaded Black Pyramid is the result of allowing the liquids to drain off before the solids have broken down sufficiently to flow nicely -- Generally, it is the result of draining the black tank too soon -- The most common newbie fault is to connect the black tank to a full-hookup sewer line and leave the gate open -- Second most common is to try to dump the tank when it is mostly empty already (like after a short weekend use) -- If one must compulsively dump after a weekend, one must flush the tank with a wand or a garden hose down the toilet or roof vent.

Chemicals added to the tank to kill stuf are also good for creating blockages, to say nothing of screwing up the dump station's sewage system -- It is better from a number of perspectives to add stuf to your tank that helps the digestion process.

Bill's advice above re: sanitation and flushing sequence is spot on. I would add that if one is traveling on vacation or FullTiming or whatever, it is best to dump on **arrival** at a CG rather than departure; the dump station is less likely to have a line and the black tank will be somewhat mixed from being on the road rather than settled in camp.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #23

West Coast USA
Registry
Kurt, no, but I do the 3 finger salute very well.

I wanted one of those for xmas.. had it on my list, but no one gave me the....

I did the sequence wrong. Liz told me to do the black first, but I was a little.. anxious and forgot.

Ack, I will get it right one of these days.

I am not sure about towing with something in the tanks. Might be a hold over from my "watch every ounce" with the Element and 13 combo.

I am sure I have a full 1500 lbs more to go before I max the Jeep out, but...
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I am not sure about towing with something in the tanks. Might be a hold over from my "watch every ounce" with the Element and 13 combo.
Me either Gina...I fear the flapper will somehow open on the toilet and I'll end up with "stuff" all over the bathroom I have been known to put a bag of ice into the black tank prior to leaving on a trip however
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I think I got this URL from this site so it's probably been seen before, but I think it bears repeating for those who may not have seen it:

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

Check out the section on Macerators and other Sewer Stuff.