I am no longer a virgin - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I did my first black tank dump and clean today

It wasn't that bad, except the spot I was in is actually intended for the arrivial of a Kamping Kabin, and the sewer stub was about a foot higher than my dump valve. I had been making like an inch worm with the sewer hose all week for my grey water. The black worked the same, and I am happy to report I was not treated (arr arr) with a mess.
I pulled the valve (After closing the grey) and waited for it to glub away, inchworming as needed.

Couple questions tho..

the Wand. I am not sure I used it correctly.. I just went with the most logical approach. I have one of those "Johnny Chocks" and I put it in the hole, letting the water run for a minute or two to flush most of the hose and tank, then I stuck the wand into the hole and sort of rotated it around, and changed the elevation as I did. More flushing.

Is this correct?

The black tank is.. well, BLACK... and I couldn't see if I actually got all the solids out.

What is the best way to do this? (I have telescoping mirror, but it is small.. does anyone use one?

Oh, the former owner (I think) had a clever idea. He put a hose thread on the kitchen sink, and there is a short length of hose that goes from sink to toilet. No opening windows and dragging hoses about.

Anyway, it was relatively untraumatic. It took me an hour to strike this morning, as I was going slow and wanted to do it correctly.

Spending all day yesterday sorting my bins for better organization helped a lot. All my stuff is now organized as my PA system is, but with different details.

I have been doing that for awhile.. there is no better hurry motivator than spending til the wee hours in the am in a stinky bar and only wanting it packed up and gone so I can go to bed.

Anyway, all stuff is stowed in the cubbies as it will stay, and my bin count has gone from 4 to 2, + a rolling tool box.

I can actually get IN the trailer for a pee stop or to make a sammich or take a nap on the road without unloading anything now. YAY!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe

Old 03-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #3

West Coast USA
Registry
I lied, I have one bin in the bathroom for the fresh hoses. Out of sight, out of mind LOL
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #4

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Couple questions tho..

the Wand. I am not sure I used it correctly.. I just went with the most logical approach. I have one of those "Johnny Chocks" and I put it in the hole, letting the water run for a minute or two to flush most of the hose and tank, then I stuck the wand into the hole and sort of rotated it around, and changed the elevation as I did. More flushing.

Is this correct?
You did good.
Quote:
The black tank is.. well, BLACK... and I couldn't see if I actually got all the solids out.

What is the best way to do this? (I have telescoping mirror, but it is small.. does anyone use one?
Don't worry about it too much.

Funny, in the Fiber Stream during the middle of the day when the sun is shining, it shines down the roof air vent and illuminates the interior of the tank, and I can see the inside of the tank when I flush.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
When I had my camper I bought a box full of disposable latex gloves.... hehehe always wore them when dealing with such "surgical" procedures..... and a couple glasses of wine later.... to help me forget!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #6

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Gina,
I meant to tell you. Don't use Charmin. My Daughter brought Charmin tissue to our 28' Terry years back and it turned to sludge in the tank.
The fix turned out to be a black plastic bag and a long stick.
The rest of the story gets pretty ugly. ( and smelly)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #7

West Coast USA
Registry
I ain't schtickin my arm up there! LOL!

I use official RV TP.. I know others say they get by with other stuff, but as much as I use it, 4 rolls will last me all year and is worth the few cents extra to know for sure it won't create a monster.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Gina,

I use ice to clean out my black tank. Near our home is a dump site, so when I leave the campsite I usually stop and purchase a $1.00 bag of ice, or use any that might be left in the beer cooler.
I pour this into the toilet and flush. On the way home the ice is swirled around inside the tank and it scours and cleans the sides. I stop at the dump site before unhitching and drain the black first, then the grey...that way the grey water cleans the hose.

Paul
Old 03-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #9

West Coast USA
Registry
Thats a good idea. I will try it.

I had no grey in the tank, I left the valve open an it just ran out as I used it. Both sinks have J traps, so I didn't worry about sewer gasses.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Use Scott single ply instead of the RV toilet tissue to save some money. You ever take some Scott Toilet paper to wipe up water that you've dribbled all over the sinK? Ever see how as soon as it touches water it turns into paper mush? That's exactly what you want to happen in the Black tank. Wet some Charmin and watch it -- it lasts longer than the "Super Picker-Upper." You want a toilet tissue that breaks down pretty quickly and completely -- and Scott's does that pretty well.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #11

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Uh... I usually only flush my blackwater tank annually prior to winterizing. For regular use during the season, using the green granule deoderizer stuff digests all of the solids nicely over 24 hours. I do run several gallons of fresh into the tank each time I dump it to make sure I have a good "flush" dump, but I seldom use the wand. I don't know if this is the recommended method or not, but I've never had any problems nor have I ever had any solids stick in the tank. As was mentioned above, a good really easy way to really clean a tank well is to fill it half-way, and then dump 10 lbs of ice cubes in and go for a drive.

Roger
Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #12

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
To keep solids from sticking, they need to be kept in suspension. Never, ahm...er...cough...have a BM in a completely empty tank. Prior to use, make certain there is some liquid in the tank...even if it's just water. Otherwise you'll end up with the dreaded "poop pyramid" in the bottom of the tank.

Choke.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #13

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado

Well, even though we are trailerless at the moment, I have another take on this TP issue.

Here it comes------ get ready---- don't put any TP in the terlet. I know, I know, this sounds horrible. However, we found that if you get one of those small stainless steel cans with a flip-up-lid, use a Plastic Wal-Mart bag and change it everyday, it's no problem.

And once you get over the ''idea'' of this process, it's well worth it at dump time. Things really clean out well and no clumps and gobs of paper. Also, I've always found that if you get that TP that dissolves so easily, ---- well--- it dissoves before the paperwork is done and that's a pretty crappy situation, ain't it!

Now just buy the TP you like to use at home and fergit it. If fact the guy I bought my Bigfoot from also followed this procedure and had a sign in the Bathroom that said '' If you haven't eaten it first, please don't put it in the head''. (Head is the Navy term for the toilet in case someone out there doesn't know it) I liked the sign so much I left it up and the new owner still has it, I guess.

One more thing. We found that about 1/2 to 1 cup of BORAX or CALGON in the tank does a fine job of keeping it clean and helps it clean out pretty slick. It's cheaper and more friendly to the environment, I think, than all those other chemicals.

Well, there's our take on that subject.

EKW
Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gina

Its not black in the black water tank if you use a flashlight. We flush the tank till clean then add RV-Tec 100 from wallyworld and enough water to cover the bottom of the tank.