I am stuck...................... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr; 1972 Astro (Havasu?)
Washington
Fibreg;ass is simply a fiber (spun glass) used to reinforce epoxy resin. Of course epoxy will adhere!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I thought it would but wanted a second opinion......... Thanks Dave!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul
If you are still considering wood graining the floor here is a close up photo of a floor I just painted. The technique isn't hard and allows one to create very complex patterns/miters should one wish. The paint I used was Glidden Porch and Deck polyurethane and is over coated with two coats of clear polyurethane. This floor measured 16 by 28 ft with a "island" in the center where there will be a rug.
Hope this helps,
David

Click image for larger version

Name:	Close_up_of_floor.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	28067
Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Maybe you could get an artist ala Julian Beever or Kurt Wenner to give you a really interesting floor!

http://www.impactlab.com/2006/03/09/amazin...alk-art-photos/

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #19

David, BBBBBBBeautiful! I actually have a bit of experience in that type as well. My Dh owned a Hardwood Floor Co, and I was forever having to paint/repair floors that the owners didn't want to go to the expense of replacing a floor that had been damaged (everything from a dishwasher leak, to a beautiful home in Aspen) That the caretaker put out a Decon type product and the varmints ate it then proceeded to get into the house and die, leaving body fluid all over 5 thousand square feet of exotic hard wood. , so instead of replacing the exotic wood, they called my Dh to repair. But the body fluid had soaked into the wood so after I don't know how many bleachings they decided the to have me paint and replicate the wood grain then poly over. I worked, and I saved the owner/caretaking company a lot of money. Usually it was very small damaged area so it was a matter of a small area versus a whole floor. Not that a Casita floor is big, I just think if I was gonna paint to look like wood I would just have wood installed. But your work is beautiful! Do you do it professionally?

Roger, when I thought of an artist painting the floor that is one of the first ideas I had, for a look. I think that art work is amazing! But I think art work like that might confuse Dh so I scaled my ideas down to something calm or cute.......... With Alzheimer's Dh has enough delusions I don't need to make him think we have baby seals in the Casita with us!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Hi, Robin,
The post I was referring to was this one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...+new+ikea+floor

Another thought, since you are so artistic, for a more changeable floor might be buying woven mat runners with the canvas edge (I have them in my kitchen), and painting the mats... Though thin, these mats are great. I can clean the spills off them by taking them outside and hitting them with a hose or pressure washer on low, and letting them dry on the patio. Normal maintenance is just sweeping or vacuuming them (until I spill something on them!). I bought them at Ross or Marshall's very inexpensively. If the canvas edge is narrow, they stay flat, and the ones I bought have little rubber bumps on the back to keep them from sliding around. They're at least a little warmer underfoot than bare tile on cold nights when I walk around barefoot. (I have a small one by the garage door with a three inch canvas border that curls up badly. I think the canvas has shrunk more than the straw mat when washed with the hose.) They have a much cleaner look than carpet runners, and not as much of a tripping hazard.

Sherry

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #21

Thanks Sherry, I remember that post now. Problem is, I already ripped out the carpet so I do have to come up with something to replace first. I love all of the ideas everyone is throwing out here. And I will get it done as soon as I get back from a trip I have coming up next week. Just a week of respite is needed before I tackle replacement. LOL........ Actually needed before I do just about anything.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul
Quote:
David, Do you do it professionally?

Robin, No, I do not do it "professionally". But thank you for the kind words. It is something I learned years ago when I lived in France. I never got good at creating quarter sawn oak (which was my goal) but my vertical grain pine/fir is sometimes passable up to a distance of a couple of feet. Anyone interested in faux finishes and who gets to Paris should check out the front doors of the town houses/manses as they are usually faux finished in vertical grain/quarter sawn oak. Beautiful work, some of which can fool one up until one is only inches from the surface.

David