I am thinking of ripping out the "Kitchen" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
OK...

This may seem like an obvious question/concern, but since nobody has brought it up:

How tall is Dad? The kitchen of a 13' trailer is something like 4 feet long (distance from rear bed to front bunk).

Unless Dad is a really small guy, he's going to be overlapping onto the bed/bunks anyway eliminating a good portion of the advantage of the additional bed.

Mike

Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #16

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
Quote:
OK...

This may seem like an obvious question/concern, but since nobody has brought it up:

How tall is Dad? The kitchen of a 13' trailer is something like 4 feet long (distance from rear bed to front bunk).

Unless Dad is a really small guy, he's going to be overlapping onto the bed/bunks anyway eliminating a good portion of the advantage of the additional bed.

Mike
From his original post, I was thinking he meant either his head would be sharing the bottom bunk, or his feet would be on the wifes bed... but thats an assumption!

http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1992
Wow - I'm happy to hear all the thoughts and comment. We just got back from a 4 day trip with the Scamp. The thing is this. The bed is too small for us and we need more room. My wife prefers to be on the side nearest the floor so when nature calls her in the middle of the night she can use the potty. I am 6 feet and being against the back wall is too tight. I come to bed later and have to climb over. We try to sleep head to feet to maximize the shoulder room. So, I even tried to put one of my (2) kids in bed with her and I "slept" in the lower bunk. Never again! If I do not make some changes, I will bring my tent next trip. The dog house for dad.

So here is my thought. If ever so gently removed the kitchen sink/stove/fridge unit (no cursing or harsh language) and saved it, I would have a 4X2 foot gap. I would use an old cabinet (for storage) as a base and build a custom bench and add padding. From the edge of the kids bunk to the rear of the camper would be a 7 foot bed, 2 or 2.5 feet wide. My wife and I play footsie in the rear corner and that's that. Couple of throw pillow and we have a "L" shape bed/couch thing.

Now, I have never used the sink hook up or water tanks and never used the stove in 4 years. We alway cook outside The little fridge could not catch a cold, so I bring a nice big dorm fridge. It would be a big sleeping unit. I have the a/c unit and heat. I have weathered monsoons and we all stated cozy. It is an excellent shelter. It is nearly sound proof. If I upgrade I am looking into Hybred TTs 8 to 10 K (used and I'll need a new truck too).

Am I really the first to think of doing this?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Dennis
Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Am I really the first to think of doing this?
You may be the first with this particular bed arrangement, but certainly not the first to consider omitting the kitchen. While I agree that it would need to be replaced for resale value, the mode of trailer use which doesn't need a kitchen is not uncommon. I know people with tent trailers who have a sink and stove inside and never use either; some people in this forum have no built-in water supply, and some have no stove.

Personally, for us the built-in kitchen is an absolute requirement... but I understand that there are many camping styles, and just as many "right" trailer configurations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
My father has a 13' Shasta. It had a front kitchen for those times we HAD to cook inside. The rest of the time, we were outside.

We had two big benches on the bottom that would convert to a king size bed. There were two canvas cots that hung over the king size bed. That a look at the T@B with the front kitchen. It was kind of like that except there was the two canvas cots that hung side to side. Worked for me as a teener.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Why not double-decker the big bed and keep the kitchen?

Quote:
Hi Folk,
I have a '92 Scamp 13 and the wife feels the bed is too small for the two of us. Crawling over each other to get in and out is a big hastle too. This has triggered "new camper" talk. Yikes! So the easy solution seem to be rip out the sink and fridge we never use and put in a bed for dad and give mom the whole she - bang. Head towrd bunks feet towards the wifes. Kids stay in the bunks happy as pigs.. No more "new camper" talk.

I thinking it can be wide enough and long for me, but still keep a bit of the orig. floor space. Has this been done? I would make storage space under and keep the over head unit. I put in an $79 AC unit from Lowes, so I have no problem ripping up the Scamp (esp. when it comes to "new camper" talk).

I really dont care about resale, I want to keep it a few more seasons. But how would you feel if you looked at this mod. with no sink and no 3 way fridge and no stove? I would love to see some PICS Please!!!
Dennis
Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
and I "slept" in the lower bunk. Never again!
Ha, ha. I tried this once when we were camping out on Galiano Island and my sister was staying with us. I gave her the dinette bed and I folded myself into the lower bunk to "sleep". NOT a good option!

Have you though about building some sort of colllapsible platform that could go in the area between the closet and the kitchen, to act as a bed extension? Haven't put a lot of thought into it yet, but I'm thinking that maybe you and your wife could sleep with your heads towards the back of the trailer and feet towards the bunk beds this way. (and leave the rest intact)