I asked a Friend about the 3.0L Ram engine. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I will not drive , purchase or own any vehicle whose name / brand starts with T and ends with A. Just my personal preference.
I like my Ram 1500 and have as much trust in consumer report as
I do in most politicians. Using this forum to bash a particular vehicle manufacturer to feed your ego leads to nothing but arguments.. There is not a vehicle made that does not have
issues or problems. IMHO
Well, we all have different experiences. I'm still driving a 1996 C*****a Wagon with 250,000 miles on it, still running strong. Gets "routine" maintenance when I start feeling guilty about it, but that belt thingy has been replaced a couple of times. Has lived its entire life outside. Looks like h**l, but has been in the shop only one time for other than routine maintenance, and that was when the master brake cylinder went bad in its 15th year.

Not too shabby...

Old 12-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I have no issue with anyone's choice of vehicle or their positive /negative comments on vehicles they have or do own . My issue is with individuals who degrade a brand of vehicle they do not own to justify their choice of vehicle .I was always taught that criticising
someone or something to prove you or your choices are superior
was wrong. I made no negative comments about any brand of vehicle and spoke only about a vehicle I personally own.
A fine example of a useful post (IMHO) was Norm's.
He made positive comments on a brand of vehicle he owns
and found no need to bash other brands to prove his point.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I made no negative comments about any brand of vehicle and spoke only about a vehicle I personally own.
Actually Steve, this is what you said: "I will not drive , purchase or own any vehicle whose name / brand starts with T and ends with A. Just my personal preference".
Old 12-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #18

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Can't we all just get along!😊

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by llfalcon View Post
Well, we all have different experiences. I'm still driving a 1996 C*****a Wagon with 250,000 miles on it, still running strong. Gets "routine" maintenance when I start feeling guilty about it, but that belt thingy has been replaced a couple of times. Has lived its entire life outside. Looks like h**l, but has been in the shop only one time for other than routine maintenance, and that was when the master brake cylinder went bad in its 15th year.

Not too shabby...
Wow... And I thought that Studebaker stopped making the Conestoga wagon back in the 50's. Ya better not take it in for repairs, those Studebaker parts are a bear to find, LOLOLOL
Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #20

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Uplander did make one very good point. When you are choosing a tow vehicle look for something that has proven reliability, and durability. While gas mileage is important, it should not be the only deciding factor. A vehicle that gets great mileage is not much use to any body if it spends most of its life in the shop racking up huge repair bills.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
This thread started out with..."I asked a friend"...Perhaps it would be better to do some research using unbiased publications as opposed to asking a friend.

If you read enough unbiased reviews you might discover that when it comes to Diesel engines the Cummings has some high ratings...however the vehicle it ends up in might not.

The following foreign makers rate best when compared to American makes...
#1. Toyota.....#2. Honda. These are head and shoulders above the U.S. Makers for reliability and longevity and routinely go over 300,000 miles without major failures if maintained per manufacturer's recommendations.

A few years ago a friend gave me an audio tape of a radio feature that aired on PBS concerning the auto industry.
It included segments about defects that repeated in some engines and transmissions for year after year...the manufacturer never corrected the problem. It did repair the defects with more defective parts while under warranty.
It did follow the U.S. Industry practice of adding the warranty repair cost to the retail price. It was more cost effective to ignore the problem rather than asking their engineering department to redesign the engine or transmission.
Also covered in this presentation was the corporate
"engineering philosophy ". The best example was General Motors vs. Toyota....GM rewarded their engineers for saving money without regard for quality...however Toyota set engineering standards...most common was "No failures in at least 300,000 miles" ...a very lofty goal !
The assembly line policies and goals were equally surprising..
At GM it was all about speed of the line...faster is better...resulting in uninstalled parts tossed in the trunks of cars for dealers to deal with.
Meanwhile at Toyota if a line worker noted something not done right they were instructed to stop the line and call a supervisor....something never done at GM.

I found this presentation educational. If you talk to any long time GM dealer he will confirm this. The PBS radio feature was quite long...presented in many installments and loaded with details...a few segments made their way to television in a multi-part series. It should have been included in higher education courses.

When I spend my hard earned money I try to do so wisely after reading reviews in publications that are not pandering to their advertisers.
The problem with RVs is that there are no sources for reviews other than to go to Internet sites like this one and rely on the reports from members.
The major RV sites often comment on the poor overall quality of products but do not review individual manufactures. Some sites feature advertisements from RV manufacturers and that might explain why.

We are on our own and must share information...good...bad...and Ugly !
Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #22
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

We are on our own and must share information...good...bad...and Ugly !
Unfortunately criticism of something someone owns is too often taken as criticism of the owner. This of course leads to undesirable arguments. Arguments chill participation. The other day in a thread discussing Scamp trailers a poster stated he would only discuss his issues via private message. On another forum he had been verbally attacked for telling his story. Raz