I bought a burro sight unseen and am having it towed to me: questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Just see if the FirstUp at Walmart is fragrance-free enough for you. It will go up and fit over the door of the Burro (See my pix of the Uhaul, but we did it to our 13' Burro first.). You buy the screens and then tie one side back, prop the screenhouse next to the camper, and the door will open under the edge of the frame. It keeps out lots of bugs. I whine if we camp without it.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul with screen.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #22

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
I love that!! I am sure I could air and bake out the first up like I have with tents if they smell when new.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
In addition to the screens you can also buy walls to attach. When fall comes we're going to get them. $50 at Walmart. We'll be able to set up our chairs and a heater in there this winter. We'll be somewhere in the south and, in winter, it gets dark too early (and too uncomfortable) to spend the evening inside the trailer. Dinettes are killers, especially at our ages (70s).
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #24

Georgia
Yes, I'd like a wall too--however is it like the Paha Que, where you can attach both, or do you have to detach the wall and reattach the mesh? Only because right now in GA, it's cool in the early mornings, but baking hot by midafternoon.

I just love that blue awning. I did read the the first up can retain water in a rain--and they sell some kind of bags to weight the awning so it doesn't do that? Well anyway, it's very reasonable and a start.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #25

Registry
Hey, Bob and Jen,

I recommend that you not buy the FirstUp walls. We did and never use it. We bought roll down screens, the kind that are used in commercials tents from Hutshop. Those we use all the time.

The FirstUp wall zips in the wrong place for propping the screenhouse against the trailer. Maybe you could find someone who can add a zipper or set the screenhouse by itself if you do buy the walls. I have not seen them in the store for quite a while to be honest though.

CindyL
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
I'm going to PM Gina and see what she got from Wally World a few years ago when she had a burro, I'm sure it was much much cheaper.

I know they sell at walmart, but it seems like Gina had one when she had a burro that fit right onto it. I clicked on that old link and it was no longer active.
It was 2006, and it was her first Burro. I camped next to her in a US Forest Service campground near Big Bear, California called "Heartbar". I have pictures I can share, but I think her screen tent then was a close-out item and may not be available today.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0326.jpg   000_0328.jpg  

000_0331.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #27

Registry
Just a caution. That screenhouse looks exactly like the one we had first for our Burro that got flattened in a thunderstorm. Thus far, knock on wood, our FirstUp has survived several storms.

CindyL
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #28

Georgia
Cindy, what about a wall like this with a vinyl window? Probably the vinyl would bother me, though. It probably smells like a new shower curtain :-(

Premier Tents 10' Apex Middle Zipper Canopy Panorama Window Sidewall Doorway - 600D (Select Color) - HutShop.com
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #29

Registry
It depends on how it is made and what you intend to do with the FirstUp. We thought that the wind screen would be nice, but like I said, its zipper is in the wrong place for propping it against the wall. Besides that, when it is raining, you have to put it on from the outside. The walls we got at Hutshop can be hung form the inside. We use them for wind, rain, and sun.

CindyL
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #30

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Well, how is it or did I miss a post?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #31

Georgia
You guys, it is kinda small! ;-)
I did not realize tongue was included in trailer length. A forum friend has enlightened me backchannel, and also told me that the Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 foot has higher ceilings than the 16 foot etc. And that scamps have higher ceilings still.

So I really have to pay attention to that. I have been in a spirit deluxe 17 foot that felt pretty roomy if somewhat cozy, and the eggcamper is really roomy (high ceilings).
We are cleaning it up. We have cleaned the stove fridge and walls today. Then we are getting a rugmaster and shampoo the cushions and carpet. Though the cushions are in excellent shape they haven't been actually cleaned in years. The carpet also really needs a shampoo.

I have a question. That strip of carpet on the ceiling--if I remove that, what is there? Can I put something else up? Or leave it? WIll I need to seal something? What is the purpose of that strip of carpet up there?

What has anybody replaced the floor carpet with just curious.

Ido not know if two of us can be in this fulltime-ish though. We were wanting to fulltime and travel. It is adorable but it really is a burrito. Once we clean it we'll try it for a week and see how the space does.

Let me know what you all think.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #32

Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
The ceiling carpet thing: in a Burro, the inner hull doesn't come all the way to the center ridge line, for whatever reason. The carpet/headliner covers the raw fiberglass that is the underside of the outer hull. It's ugly, so best to keep it covered with something.

Having done up to two weeks sharing my 13' Burro with the man, I can say with total certainty there's no way we could full-time in it. He's way too disorganized! Well, I know I could do it alone, but with two people I'd want something a bit roomier.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #33

Georgia
Yeah it is small. That's why a screen room would be necessary. But I think I miscalculated on size.

So what do you put up on your ceiling? Did you replace that carpet strip or just cover it with pretty fabric?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #34

Registry
Someone on the forum used a bamboo strip that looks really sharp. You would have to search though. I don't remember who it was.

If you get a screenhouse, that will help the size. We spend most of our time out in the screenhouse. (Although we traded our 13' Burro up, so I could have a bathroom.) With the Burro, I always took the bed down during the day. A PO had replaced the dinette table with a piece of plywood, because they left the bed made up all the time. We put a 2-person dinette in the front and then did not use the built-in dinette, so during the day, you sat on benches with no table, like a mini-livingroom. That made it seem bigger.

CindyL
Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #35

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
You guys, it is kinda small! ;-)

I have a question. That strip of carpet on the ceiling--if I remove that, what is there? Can I put something else up? Or leave it? WIll I need to seal something? What is the purpose of that strip of carpet up there?

What has anybody replaced the floor carpet with just curious.

Let me know what you all think.
Our 1998 Burro has a vinyl type strip over that gap on the ceiling.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #36

Georgia
Thanks guys. I will stop in that craft store, Michael's this week and see if they have anything. Bamboo sounds nice but I'm not sure how to remove the carpet strip so maybe covering it would work.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #37

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry
My 13' Burro (1982) has a fabric headliner that matches the color of the carpeting. Works well. If you wanted to use Bamboo, I would suggest buying several Bamboo beach mats and sewing them together to make your headliner. It should be rather simple to do if you know how to sew. By the way, the Burro is small but that makes it easy to bring only what you really need! I also tow with a mini van so I use it for the storage of most things. Good luck!
Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #38

Registry
Here is a description of how a UHaul owner did his headliner: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pet-51410.html

Here is the bamboo interior: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-46625.html

Decorating is fun but probably more of a challenge for you. At least you have a minimum amount of interior fibers to deal with .

CindyL
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks guys. I will stop in that craft store, Michael's this week and see if they have anything. Bamboo sounds nice but I'm not sure how to remove the carpet strip so maybe covering it would work.

You would be better off going to Wally World and buying a bamboo window shade or a large floor mat and cutting it into the strips you need.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
My former Burro had a strip of stainless steel up there, but I think there are other things that look better... like the bamboo.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro