I bought a burro sight unseen and am having it towed to me: questions - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #57

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Burrito photos

Okay you guys, you asked for some photos. The only thing I haven't included is the carpet as I haven't shampooed it yet. And I have two questions:

1) Is there anything I can shine the stove surface up with? It hasn't been used much apparently but is there any kind of polish I can put on it?
2) There is a kind of plastic round insignia on the front that is chipped. Is there any way I can fix that? Are there vintage ones available somewhere? Or do I have to use wood glue and fashion something to make it totally round again?

It was hubby who did all the cleaning.

He also says it is too small. You have to know we are like the Honeymooners, at times (the old tv show). I will make a few posts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2148.jpg   IMG_2150.jpg  

IMG_2152.jpg   IMG_2154.jpg  

Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #58

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Whats the stove like?? Is it stainless steel or a colored enamel maybe a picture of it would help answer your question....But I must say from the pictures you loaded it looks like a real "JEWEL"...Now the fun begins...Post a picture of the broken plastic thingy you spoke of also...

Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #59

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Lets see the kitchen :-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #60

Georgia
More burrito

Here are some more.

Well, June is almost upon us. We need to decide whether to use this for a year, or conclude it's really too small and let go of it this month. Camping season has begun.

I do agree one would be outside a lot, except where we are in the southeast it's REALLY HOT in the day! Global warming, omg, it was nearly 99 the other day. We can go into the lower Blue Ridge (I have altitude issues above about 3000 feet), which helps. I can add an a/c from walmart that is $98, easily, but I just can't quite imagine staying inside the burrito writing on my computer (I'm a writer) all day.

It is actually about 10 feet inside.

The ceiling height seems decent though.

I think if I had my total druthers I'd have an outgassed Eggcamper. I went into a new one and that ceiling was 6'7!!! It also has the same fiberglass walls of the burro. I really like the double wall construction with reflectix--very mold resistant and pristine looking.

But new the thing STUNK of fiberglass. Ugh. I wonder if you could bake it out like they bake out new buildings. Or would that harm the fiberglass. What do people do with boats?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2187.jpg   IMG_2189.jpg  

IMG_2190.jpg   IMG_2193.jpg  

Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #61

Georgia
Also, is there anything I can clean weatherstripping with? The probably once white or cream colored weatherstripping around the door, has grunge of age on it. What is best to clean it with? Soft scrub? Fantastic? Or something else? THANKS.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #62

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Wow! Beautiful Burro, Jen!! If you decide to part with it you'll have no trouble re-homing her for sure! Looks like it's hardly been used. Those Burro decals are pristine! Any more outside pix? Was this the original owner?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #63

Georgia
a few more burrito

A few more. For Melissa, my PM advisor on stuff like tongue length and weight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2178.jpg   IMG_2191.jpg  

IMG_2171.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #64

Georgia
Anyway, if anyone has advice on what to clean weatherstripping with, and any polish on the stove which has some scratches.

We have spent time just cleaning it. Like Randy says, he just cleans his trilliums well. It really has made it shine. I also took the brown curtains down, although we still have them.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #65

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
You could always keep watch for a used Eggcamper (none will be very old, so they are unlikely to need heavy maintenance). That way the smell will have abated.

Your sniffer must be like my wife's. She smells stuff I don't notice at all. I was in new Eggcampers when I toured the factory and nothing smelled amiss to me.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #66

Georgia
Hi, Mike. I think I'm going to call EggCamper today as I never see used EggCampers for sale. Even the lady with the 2011 said the odor still bothered her.

I actually get sick from those chemicals, so I guess my sense of smell being so acute is good as it helps notify me of "danger". :-)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #67

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Jen:
Our trailer was basically new when we got it, and the smell was strong. We are not sensitive to this but the smell was unpleasant. When I mounted a carbon monoxide detector in it it went off quite often and at the most inopportune times, and I knew we had no gas being used. It had to be discarded.

It took about 5 to 7 years before I didn't notice it any more, even if it had been sitting in the heat and closed up. I'm guessing that the particular ingredients used in the manufacture of the shell could vary from make to make and perhaps also the proportions of chemicals used could be a little outside the ideal. I think your approach is good: trust your nose.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #68

Georgia
Hi Per, thanks. I've read that a sensitive person should look for a house at least six years old so I guess it's the same with new trailers too.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #69

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Wow! Gotta say I'm kind of jealous!!! Beautiful little trailer! I can't speak for others on this website but when I was looking last year I looked at sooooo many trailers that were supposedly "awesome condition". In the pics they did look really good, which is why I went to see them, 99% of them were baaad, project trailers in reality. I had pretty much given up before I got my Lil' Darlin. Good on you getting such a beauty sight unseen! Too bad you are sooooo far away. I would buy that in a heart beat!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #70

Georgia
Thanks lhanna. The history of the trailer that was told to me was it was stored under a carport in the desert it's whole life, and not used much the last ten years as the original owner had a fifth wheel. He used it for hunting expeditions but would also set up a lodge tent apparently, for cooking and eating and so on. Since it was in a dry climate, under cover, and not used much, that is why it is intact, and even the cushions are like new. It did have obvious dog hair though on the carpet, not the cushions. I guess the dogs hung out on the floor.

I have to go get barkeeper's friend for the weatherstripping, and a toothbrush, according to someone else on here, will supposedly get some of the grayish grunge I see on the weatherstripping around the door entrance, off.

We are going to make a decision very soon as to whether to keep it for a year or sell it now and go back to looking. I didn't even know tongue lengths were included in trailer dimensions until this arrived. I think for weekend, or even weeks long campers this size is better. This is hard to fulltime in.

Yesterday I spent the whole day salivating over Olivers and Eggcampers pictures online. Of course Olivers are for the wealthy. Sheesh. Apparently they go for 40k now. That really seems overpriced, but anyway...that's like getting a Bambi airstream. Not in *my* budget. But they sure are pretty. I like almost any egg camper, but definitely prefer the ones that are double walled with the fiberglass interior walls rather than carpet. There is just such a clean feeling, plus for a chemically sensitive person its less likely to have absorbed odors, perfumes, or pesticides if a person did use them. That's why I like the burro, too, it's just a burrito lol, a leetle puppy. OTOH I have seen some nice spirit deluxe casitas at campgrounds.

Tags
burro