I don't know what to do next? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #15

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
Thanks for the info, Dawn. That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing.

Regards,

EKW

Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Dawn, of course you are not finshed There are lots of little tweaks you can do not to mention big items.

I'm on my 9th year with my 13 Scamp and there hasn't been a year that has gone by without a mod or two. My last mod earlier this year was the generator box and I truly thought that was it for mods.

Well, that lasted about 3 months. While at the Oregon Gathering my friend Glen showed up with a 13 Casita in progress. He had removed the fresh water tank from the compartment and put one underneath the trailer.

Another mod.

I sure liked the looks of Glen's new fresh water tank. I have a perfect place tucked up under the Scamp behind the grey water holding tank. I will be able to have a larger fresh water tank, easily double the capacity of the current one and would be about the same size as the grey water tank. I am in the habit of not leaving home without water from my house. With the new tank I'll just add about 10 gallons, which is what I normally carry. A larger fresh water tank will be nice for dry camping.

This going to be a nice winter project. Glen

Oh yes, and it will be nice to use the compartment for things other than water. I'll add an access door to the side of the trailer.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Dawn, of course you are not finshed There are lots of little tweaks you can do not to mention big items.

I'm on my 9th year with my 13 Scamp and there hasn't been a year that has gone by without a mod or two. My last mod earlier this year was the generator box and I truly thought that was it for mods.

Well, that lasted about 3 months. While at the Oregon Gathering my friend Glen showed up with a 13 Casita in progress. He had removed the fresh water tank from the compartment and put one underneath the trailer.

Another mod.

I sure liked the looks of Glen's new fresh water tank. I have a perfect place tucked up under the Scamp behind the grey water holding tank. I will be able to have a larger fresh water tank, easily double the capacity of the current one and would be about the same size as the grey water tank. I am in the habit of not leaving home without water from my house. With the new tank I'll just add about 10 gallons, which is what I normally carry. A larger fresh water tank will be nice for dry camping.

This going to be a nice winter project. Glen

Oh yes, and it will be nice to use the compartment for things other than water. I'll add an access door to the side of the trailer.

Cool! 13 Years! Wow...that is your trailer through and through. I think that my next challenge is going to be to make the top, fold down bunk, ACTUALLY function as a bunk. Currently it would hold a toddler, but we want to make a ladder up, that will act as a permenant support so we can sleep our 9 year old up there. I have to sleep with him as it is, and I want my own bed Also, just packing and organizing the trailer is a job unto itself. I would like a tv in there too!

Good luck with your cool water tank mod!!

Dawn
Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Cool! 13 Years! Wow...that is your trailer through and through.

Nope, just nearly 9 years. Yes, it is "my" trailer through and through. But, the mods I've made are not just window dressing they are to make life easier, what lots of folks might like.

I've often thought that a fixer upper would be good to have to continue making mods, that is if my Scamp is ever finished.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Dawn,

My project this summer is about half way done, now I am helping my camping partner with his 69 Campster? Once infected with "fiberglassus R.V. remodeli" one can only manage it, its never cured.

Bang on job! Great pics.

Harry
Harry I am destined to have the FRVR! I can see myself buying these trailers and fixing them up to sell them. I really enjoy the process. I want to buy a 13' boler or trillium and do a fix job on that from the frame out. I want to get my hands a little dirtier this time and learn more about the mechanics. I need to find someone out here where I live that wants to do the same, because I think that a partnership is the way to go with something like this. I am great with aesthetics and all the superficial upgrades, but I need to learn from someone who is mechanically inclined for the nuts and bolts stuff.

I love these little trailers!

Dawn
Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #20

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I feel I must chime in on this one... the FG bug bit me, and hard!! I still have a list of projects to do, and that is just to get us ready for our first big road trip. I have a feeling we might some day out grow our small 13' and when the time comes to upgrade, a whole new level of projects will open up! I love these FG trailers!!

Excellent work upgrading yours Dawn! Beautiful!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
[quote]Maybe something like this one ?

Attachment 23133

That looks fabulous.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #22

Quote:
I feel I must chime in on this one... the FG bug bit me, and hard!! I still have a list of projects to do, and that is just to get us ready for our first big road trip. I have a feeling we might some day out grow our small 13' and when the time comes to upgrade, a whole new level of projects will open up! I love these FG trailers!!

Excellent work upgrading yours Dawn! Beautiful!

I have the bug for sure. I want to get a 13' and have at it. I can't wait to get my hands one another!

We are currently shopping for a house and a garage is mandatory so I can keep my project trailer in it. My dad has a big warehouse style garage where I can keep my completed (or somewhat completed) 17' trailer for the winter. Then I can work on my 13' all winter long. I am hoping to find one that needs a bit of work and it priced to sell at the end of the season.

I am going to try and go to the Oregon meet in Oct so I can get a feel for all the different FG trailers before I buy my next. As hard as it is to wait!

PS - thanks for the props on my reno. I loved doing it!

Dawn
Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I am going to try and go to the Oregon meet in Oct so I can get a feel for all the different FG trailers before I buy my next.
Hope you can make it Dawn, it would be nice to meet you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #24

Rats!!!

Well I may very well be done with mods on my Scamp. I can't find a fresh water tank to fit under the Scamp between the frame rails. I've be foiled by the cross member that the factory added to secure the receiver for the bike rack. All of the ABS fresh water tanks are 8 inches deep by 16 inches wide and a variety of lengths. The space is only 14 inches wide. Drat
Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #25

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Joy,

There are places that will fabricate custom-sized plastic water tanks. A boater friend ordered some tanks from Triple M Plastics and was happy with them (boats tend to have tanks that are odd shapes and sizes). With welded tanks you can get baffles (not sure you'd need them on such a small tank; I'm just mentioning it).

http://www.triplemplastics.com/

Also, Ronco Plastics (not to be confused with the Cap Snaffler™ folks) has hundreds of roto-molded tanks in ready-made sizes (boater friends have got marine tanks from them as well).

www.ronco-plastics.net

Rachel
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #26

Rachel,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind and am going to put this project on the back burner for now.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #27

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
...and am going to put this project on the back burner for now.
Given how nicely you've 'modded your Scamp so far, I believe you that it's only for now