I don't know what to do next? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Now I am pretty much done my reno on my boler; what do I do now? I feel like I want to buy another trailer and start over! Is this normal? lol

What kinds of finishing touches should I do before I go camping? We are planning to go this weekend.

Here are some before and afters:
Attached Thumbnails
6250_114682291314_525406314_2682050_2792882_n.jpg   6250_114682286314_525406314_2682049_3146770_n.jpg  

_____shot.jpg   dinette_floor.jpg  

Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Now I am pretty much done my reno on my boler; what do I do now? I feel like I want to buy another trailer and start over! Is this normal? lol

What kinds of finishing touches should I do before I go camping? We are planning to go this weekend.

You're not done yet! After the first trip (and the second and the third), you will find or think of something that will make it "nicer". Trust me. Had our Scamp since '02 and haven't finished yet....Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
You're not done yet! After the first trip (and the second and the third), you will find or think of something that will make it "nicer". Trust me. Had our Scamp since '02 and haven't finished yet....Larry
I bet! Totally! I already saw someones screen door, and I though "well, I have to one of those!"

I can't wait to camp!

Dawn
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Dawn S... What to do next??? PACK!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Dawn, I was starting to have the same problem as I approached finishing my Scamp. Solution? I bought a 73 Cloud before I finished the Scamp!
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Yes yes yes .. When we got ours & I started the mods, I had this urge to buy another so I could do the same & more to it, I got over it & went camping instead.....Safe Travels
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Dawn,

My project this summer is about half way done, now I am helping my camping partner with his 69 Campster? Once infected with "fiberglassus R.V. remodeli" one can only manage it, its never cured.

Bang on job! Great pics.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Dawn, I can only imagine how great it feels to see the end results of all your hard work. Looks Beautiful!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
There will always be fine tuning. Every camping trip you take for a while will give you ideas. Our Scamp 5er has been almost completely redone inside and outside we've done just about everything we could wish for, but there are still things on my to-do list.
  • Our pots-and-pans get scattered all over when we tow, and even after sorting them back into place they're stacke up and sometimes hard to get to. To-do: Create an organizer for our pots-and-pans area.
  • Our dog has a sleeping space, but I don't want stinky dog rubbing off and imbedding in the Scamp's Rat Fur. To-do: Line the dog's bedroom space to protect the rat fur and make it easier to clean.
  • Lynne wants the two carpeted steps (a small sit-space and a ladder-like step) to be re-carpeted so the pattern of the carpet runner we use accents the front edge of the step, not the side. To-do: Watch the Home Depot and Lowes carpet aisles for a runner we like so we can re-do the steps.
  • It'd be nice to have an outdoor shower, wouldn't it?
  • We plan to camp in the Pacific Southwest and other very warm places. To-do: Install a rooftop AC.
  • Will that mean adding a generator?
  • See-thru propane bottles are cool! To-do: Re-think the propane bottles (see-thru fiberglass?, two 20lb or one 30lb and a small "backup" tank?).
  • Now we have two solar panels, does it make sense to add a second battery?
  • Doesn't adding a generator, a second battery, and changing the propane bottles around mean having to do sheet-metal and welding work?
  • The list goes on . . .
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Quote:
I bet! Totally! I already saw someones screen door, and I though "well, I have to one of those!"

I can't wait to camp!

Dawn
Maybe something like this one ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01596.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	23133
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Quote:

Hi Dawn, your trailer really looks nice. I showed my wife your curtains and I'm trying to figure out how you mounted them to the cabinet underside. It looks like you might have used those Aluminum tracks with little roller hook thingys. Is that correct? We have a Casita 17 LD and we would like to add curtains, like yours, in front of those stupid mini-blinds.

Thanks,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I'd say just enjoy the super job you've done. then look at solar?
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Dawn, your trailer really looks nice. I showed my wife your curtains and I'm trying to figure out how you mounted them to the cabinet underside. It looks like you might have used those Aluminum tracks with little roller hook thingys. Is that correct? We have a Casita 17 LD and we would like to add curtains, like yours, in front of those stupid mini-blinds.

Thanks,

EKW
Hi, my curtains were easy to mount. We have wood cabinets all the way around to screw the rods into. I used cheapy rods from wallmart, they are meant to be hung flat on wall, not from the ceiling (above) so we had to bend the ends a bit - for the short windows - and I used slightly beefier ones for the longer. They are just the simple white ones that you twist to lenghthen, with the brass fittings to hang them from.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Dawn, I can only imagine how great it feels to see the end results of all your hard work. Looks Beautiful!

Thanks Robin!

I think I am going to buy a 13' trill
Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita
Thanks for the info, Dawn. That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing.

Regards,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Dawn, of course you are not finshed There are lots of little tweaks you can do not to mention big items.

I'm on my 9th year with my 13 Scamp and there hasn't been a year that has gone by without a mod or two. My last mod earlier this year was the generator box and I truly thought that was it for mods.

Well, that lasted about 3 months. While at the Oregon Gathering my friend Glen showed up with a 13 Casita in progress. He had removed the fresh water tank from the compartment and put one underneath the trailer.

Another mod.

I sure liked the looks of Glen's new fresh water tank. I have a perfect place tucked up under the Scamp behind the grey water holding tank. I will be able to have a larger fresh water tank, easily double the capacity of the current one and would be about the same size as the grey water tank. I am in the habit of not leaving home without water from my house. With the new tank I'll just add about 10 gallons, which is what I normally carry. A larger fresh water tank will be nice for dry camping.

This going to be a nice winter project. Glen

Oh yes, and it will be nice to use the compartment for things other than water. I'll add an access door to the side of the trailer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Dawn, of course you are not finshed There are lots of little tweaks you can do not to mention big items.

I'm on my 9th year with my 13 Scamp and there hasn't been a year that has gone by without a mod or two. My last mod earlier this year was the generator box and I truly thought that was it for mods.

Well, that lasted about 3 months. While at the Oregon Gathering my friend Glen showed up with a 13 Casita in progress. He had removed the fresh water tank from the compartment and put one underneath the trailer.

Another mod.

I sure liked the looks of Glen's new fresh water tank. I have a perfect place tucked up under the Scamp behind the grey water holding tank. I will be able to have a larger fresh water tank, easily double the capacity of the current one and would be about the same size as the grey water tank. I am in the habit of not leaving home without water from my house. With the new tank I'll just add about 10 gallons, which is what I normally carry. A larger fresh water tank will be nice for dry camping.

This going to be a nice winter project. Glen

Oh yes, and it will be nice to use the compartment for things other than water. I'll add an access door to the side of the trailer.

Cool! 13 Years! Wow...that is your trailer through and through. I think that my next challenge is going to be to make the top, fold down bunk, ACTUALLY function as a bunk. Currently it would hold a toddler, but we want to make a ladder up, that will act as a permenant support so we can sleep our 9 year old up there. I have to sleep with him as it is, and I want my own bed Also, just packing and organizing the trailer is a job unto itself. I would like a tv in there too!

Good luck with your cool water tank mod!!

Dawn
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Cool! 13 Years! Wow...that is your trailer through and through.

Nope, just nearly 9 years. Yes, it is "my" trailer through and through. But, the mods I've made are not just window dressing they are to make life easier, what lots of folks might like.

I've often thought that a fixer upper would be good to have to continue making mods, that is if my Scamp is ever finished.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Dawn,

My project this summer is about half way done, now I am helping my camping partner with his 69 Campster? Once infected with "fiberglassus R.V. remodeli" one can only manage it, its never cured.

Bang on job! Great pics.

Harry
Harry I am destined to have the FRVR! I can see myself buying these trailers and fixing them up to sell them. I really enjoy the process. I want to buy a 13' boler or trillium and do a fix job on that from the frame out. I want to get my hands a little dirtier this time and learn more about the mechanics. I need to find someone out here where I live that wants to do the same, because I think that a partnership is the way to go with something like this. I am great with aesthetics and all the superficial upgrades, but I need to learn from someone who is mechanically inclined for the nuts and bolts stuff.

I love these little trailers!

Dawn
Old 09-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I feel I must chime in on this one... the FG bug bit me, and hard!! I still have a list of projects to do, and that is just to get us ready for our first big road trip. I have a feeling we might some day out grow our small 13' and when the time comes to upgrade, a whole new level of projects will open up! I love these FG trailers!!

Excellent work upgrading yours Dawn! Beautiful!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote