I found my leak - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #15

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Tonight I put the new screen in the water line. Filled the fresh water tank, checking for leaks. Nothing. Turned on the pump and found leak #2. The cold water inlet to the water heater was cracked around the weld. Quite a large crack. Luckily I was watching under the sink as the pump filled the system.

I haven't determined how to empty the tank, but now I need to remove the tank for repair.

Can the weld be repaired or is it a new tank?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Can it be welded? Yes. Will anybody licensed weld a (relatively) cheap pressure vessel like that? Nope. Basicly it's a buddy job that you really trust to go well. The easy answer is a new one.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #17

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
To drain open cover W/H there is a 15/16 plastic plug near the bottom of the tank. Just unscrew the plug. The drain is not in the bottom of the tank. To get most of the water out jack up the other side of the trailer. Repair options: Weld, R&R tank, R&R W/H all options require the removal of W/H from trailer and to disconnect the LP line. I agree with Jared, R&R the entire unit.
Eddie
No connection to company but I just found this link.
http://americanweldinginc.com/alumin...ank-repair.php
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thanks Eddie........that should make all us newbies aware of the importance
of making sure the W/H are drained properly. Now I just have to figure out
what I've got and how to drain it.......lol
Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
That's a damn cheap repair they offer. I didn't realize some were aluminum, mine is steel.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #20

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Put the foam in a plastic bag. Use a vaccum cleaner to suck the air out of the plastic bag, thereby flattening (sic) the foam. Slide the covers over the now flat foam. Either leave the plastic in place or hack it out... your choice.

Much better solution than wrestling the foam!
How I wish I'd known this earlier! Good news is that I have more cushions to reassemble. Thanks, Donna and the rest of you who offered that suggestion.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #21

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
How I wish I'd known this earlier! Good news is that I have more cushions to reassemble. Thanks, Donna and the rest of you who offered that suggestion.
I am wondering if this will work with the plastic bags you get from the cleaners. These cushions are all shapes and sizes. Every one of them had plastic around them, a very light filmy plastic.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I am wondering if this will work with the plastic bags you get from the cleaners. These cushions are all shapes and sizes. Every one of them had plastic around them, a very light filmy plastic.
Yes, I believe cleaner's bags were recommended in the video on this topic.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #23

Alabama
I have a local welder who will be repairing the tank tomorrow. I am also going to have him build a custom battery cage built to "stack" two golf cart 6V batteries on the nose of the trailer. To do that I have to pull off the stinky slinky tube mounted on the front wall. I'll probably put a plastic fence post on the bumper to use as a replacement per Norm's idea.

In about 10 days I should have my trailer pretty much fixed up.

I am also looking at getting at least two of the trailer jacks from Scamp. They call them Jacks but they are in fact just stabilizers. But pretty cheap and a heck of a lot more convenient than those silly jack stand thingies which I currently have to crawl under the tt to set up.

This thing is slowly coming together. My goal is to get one thing done every day. Mostly it is turning into every two (or three) days or so but I have to work days and do all the repairs in the evenings and early mornings.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #24

Alabama
I bought the cutest little "trailer size" vacuum at Wally World the other day. Battery operated and quite powerful, though you have to plug it in often. It has a three foot (extended) hose and a couple of attachments. Small enough to go in a cupboard. I had water in the rug so I spread baking soda all over the rug to help with the moldy smell (worked great) and this little vacuum cleaned the baking soda right up.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #25

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
john, just out of curiosity, why are you stacking your twin 6 volt batteries?

we have same trailer, same floor plan, mine's just a couple of years newer.

i just ordered the double-size battery box for when i get my batteries, so, my curiosity is peaked.

I'll be full timing in mine also, if i ever get this blasted house in "selling" condition.

Sharon
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #26

Alabama
Well... I just went to Wally world and bought the normal battery box. It is bigger than a battery (longer) and two won't fit on the tongue.

What is a "double battery box"? Can you post a link? Do you know that it fits the tongue?

I bought a pair of 6v "golf cart" batteries from Sams. I don't remember whether I tried to just put two batteries side by side on the tongue. The welded on tabs for the propane tank get in the way of multiple batteries.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Double Battery Box

https://www.google.com/search?q=doub...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I was reading on another forum and one of the guys uses this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Fa...olbox/14146170

Said the fit was tight but it worked.

From site:
Carry your tool, pipes, and lumbers conveniently to places with the Stanley FatMax Toolbox. It features heavy-duty frame construction with water seal that ensures ultimate protection to tools. This structural foam toolbox offers you ample space to store your tools, and has V-groove on top of the lid to secure other materials for easy sawing and cutting. Carrying this large tool box is made easier with the ergonomic handle incorporated on top of box. You can lock and protect your tools with the anti-rust metal latches having padlock eye.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #28

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
John, I "think" I first saw this white double battery box sitting right where the standard battery box now sits, on a fellows' 16' Scamp (his name is Scott, I believe. If I can find him again, I'll post his profile page with his pics of the box on his Scamp).

Here's the box.
Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)

Mine arrived yesterday morning and is sitting in my empty living room. I have yet to buy the batteries!!! (planning on trojan T-105's)