I found the ensolite in Kingston - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Hi everyone , i couldn't wait to get home and share this information . I found ensolite at home depot , it's 5/16" thick , twice the normal thickness ,but i 'm sure it will work . It is underpadding for carpets . I bought a roll of it , the size i got is 6 ' x 9 ' at 39.00 or can be had by the foot off the roll . this is a real bargain . It would take about 4 rolls to do a 13' boler . I have taken pictures of it and will try to upload shortly . Perry
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 17 ft Boler / 07 FJ Cruiser
Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone , i couldn't wait to get home and share this information . I found ensolite at home depot , it's 5/16" thick , twice the normal thickness ,but i 'm sure it will work . It is underpadding for carpets . I bought a roll of it , the size i got is 6 ' x 9 ' at 39.00 or can be had by the foot off the roll . this is a real bargain . It would take about 4 rolls to do a 13' boler . I have taken pictures of it and will try to upload shortly . Perry
Awesome info, thanks a lot! I'll look in my area too
So it will be 6 to seven for 17'' footer give or take.
What adhesive do you plan to use?
D Kovetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Registry
Is this the foam backed vinyl or just the foam?
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
Is this the foam backed vinyl or just the foam?
Is there such stuff? I only started on my Boler yesterday and realized that the foam needs to come out.
Monica Petich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There is real Ensolite available (IR Foam Specialties is one source), but so far I don't believe anyone has found it with the "white" vinyl skin bonded to one side like is in our trailers.

On the other hand, the "plain" Ensolite is paintable, so I believe most of the people who have used it have just painted it from the get-go. The skin would be nice, though, and may be available someplace that we just haven't found yet.

That said, I wouldn't rush to take yours out, if there's a chance of saving it. You would be amazed what people have cleaned off the Ensolite - that skin is very tough and scrubbable.

Maybe show us what you have and get some ideas, if there's a hope at all of saving it?

Perry, is what you found Ensolite-like? Or actual Ensolite brand? (Just curious). I don't suppose it would have the bonded skin if it were for carpet underlayment...

Raya

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Registry
There are large sections of mine that aren't saveable. The guy who owned it before me put in a large propane cast iron stove/oven (see pic in my water tank post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=35128) and sections of the liner are missing and others are melted. I'm looking into automotive headliner (there's also marine). I'll let you all know what I find out next week. (Everything is closed for the long weekend in Canada.) I don't know if I can find the 3/8 but I'm pretty sure I can get 1/4. The question will be at what cost.
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you plan on covering whatever you use for insulation with something else, why not use Refectix-like insulation instead of ensolite? That's what Scamp uses and it's very good. Scamp uses a product call Foil Ray: Foil Ray at Scamp Store. This stuff is available in different R values at the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.

Here's a link to the product at Home Depot: Reflectix 4 Ft. x 25 Ft. Double Reflective Insulation
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Of course the beauty of the Ensolite (if you like it of course) is that it can be painted so that it is both the insulation and the wall covering in one.

I believe I've read that the original Boler Ensolite was 3/16", btw, and that squares with what I see on mine. Just in case you are thinking 3/8" is original.

A bit thicker would probably be nice, as long as you can make it conform to the curves.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler
Quote:

Hi Perry,

Did your underpadding work with paint and what kind of paint and adhesive did you use??

Judi Wensel
Judi Wensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
We would love to hear the results as well. We are hoping to save ours but in the even that we may have to replace it, this is great news. Let us allknow how it worked out and if at all possible some pictures would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Ursula
ursulap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
Is this the stuff you are talking about?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...tk=P_PartNumber

Sorry for the long link. I was not able to find ensolite by name but did come up with this. I would assume as long as it is paintable one would only need the spray adhesive to get it in to place?
ursulap is offline   Reply With Quote