I have forgotten - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
running fridge on 110 un level... Harm or OK?

I know not to do it on gas.. I need to do a preheat, er, cool and I didn't bother to level the trailer last time I parked it. Don't want to do it now either

I THINK it's OK on AC...but....
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Gina...
I have been off level just a tad and found no problems in running my friggie, but its all 110. I would say if a person is really cat-a-wampus.. it might not be to good???
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Assuming you have the typical Dometic RV reefer, I believe it still needs to be level for the amonia and whatever to flow around due to gravity. Gas, 12v or 120v all heat something somewhere so that it can cool somewhere else. They all need the whole gravity thing to happen for the amonia to move where it should.

AC heating doesn't need the reefer to be any more or less in balance than for the other methods.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Ammonia refrigerators need to be level to work properly no matter what heat source you use (120VAC, 12VDC or propane).

Operating it when out of level won't hurt it. It just won't work very efficiently. And f it is too far off level it just won't work at all.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
When I was young and inexperienced I once was forced to park on a fairly steep incline for 2 days in Johnstown, PA.

As we checked the food preparing to travel on we realized that everything had thawed out. Ugly and a waste of good money. The frig has worked quite well since, but I wouldn't do it again. As they say: doesn't make any difference what power source is used.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Ammonia refrigerators need to be level to work properly no matter what HEAT source you use (120VAC, 12VDC or propane).

Operating it when out of level won't hurt it. It just won't work very efficiently. And f it is too far off level it just won't work at all.
HEAT? Are any of you confused yet?

Yes HEAT is what makes an Ammonia fridge work. There are three heating elements in typical RV fridge. One is 12v. one is 110 and one is LP.

Guess you could do a search on Ammonia refridgeration to get a picture on how it works?

BTW..... this is a bit off topic so if anyone wants to discuss this further a new thread she be started.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thanks, I'll prop him up!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote