I just had a question pop into my brain... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
I just had a question pop into my brain...

My 2011 16-foot Scamp is not here right now for me to look at, so ...

Off the top of my head I'm wondering if that year/model Scamp will have the axle bolted on or welded on. I know you Scamp experts will probably know the answer.

Thanks,
Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Although some of the knock-off builders might have tried using bungie cords to attach them, I think that ALL years of Scamps have it bolted on or welded on (lol)

But our 2004 SCAMP 13' was welded on.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #3

Texas
Gee Bob -- so you think it will be bolted on or welded on? So do I. Imagine that (grin). My question is WHICH one, as I think the difference in labor needed to lift the axle will be considerably higher if a weld job has to be undone for the axle lift.

I think I read that Casita went from weld to bolt axle onto frame some years ago. Can't remember if I've read that Scamp did likewise. Anybody know?

Thx.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Unless someone has replaced it, I would bet the house that it is welded on..........
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp welds the axles on. When Scamp does a lift they usually weld a 1.5" x "3 piece of frame tube between the axle and the frame. If you want to do a bolt on lift job Dexter sells the bolt on axle brackets and bolts for about $50 a set. Lil-House Customs and E bay sell bolt on lift spacers I think for about $100.
If you decide to replace the axle when you do the lift you can order a Dexter high lift axle which will add 2" above the std. Scamp axle. (Not very expensive for that option.) Since you have a 2011 you can order a bare axle and reuse your brakes and bearings and save a lot. Don't forget the cost of welding and brake rewire at the axle.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

Texas
Thanks guys. Mucho appreciated info on costs there, too. Food for thought as I get closer to D(eparture)-day.

S.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Gee Bob -- so you think it will be bolted on or welded on? So do I. Imagine that (grin). My question is WHICH one, as I think the difference in labor needed to lift the axle will be considerably higher if a weld job has to be undone for the axle lift.

I think I read that Casita went from weld to bolt axle onto frame some years ago. Can't remember if I've read that Scamp did likewise. Anybody know?

Thx.
A good welding shop will have the old one off with a plasma cutter & grinder in about 5 minutes or less. Your new axle should last at least another 15 years. Not a big deal either way, unless you want to do the next one yourself and do not weld. Price wise for you, there would be little to no difference either way for the labor.... just the additional price for the bolt on brackets.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote