I'll not sleep in a tent while the grandkids sleep w/Grandma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
When we bought the Casita there was 1 Grand child....now there are 4!
Will take them for long week-ends, nothing yet longer than 4-5 days. The oldest is now 5.
Looking for suggestions in a quality, light weight TT that our V6 4Runner can handle, that would sleep at least 4, possibly more.
Thanks,
John
John Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well now, this is going to be an interesting topic. Typically molded lightweight fiberglass towables are relatively small. It may take some ingenuity to shoehorn everyone inside the trailer. Other than limiting the number of grandkids you take at a time (two now, different two next time) I can only point you to this topic: Family Friendly Floor Plans, A discussion of trailer models suitable for 3 or more people. Notice... the three or more?

If you had a truck, I'd say a 5th wheel, Scamp or Escape and modify the rear dinette into bunks

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
I am faced with the same problem, grandkids, the Casita worked fine, but not enough room now! I don't want anything other than a fiberglass, I am looking at a Scamp and an Escape fifth wheel. Price may be the deciding factor unless I can find a used Escape. I will be anxious to read replys to this one! <_<
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
First, I commend you on being able to take 4 babies camping at one time. I don't have a solution, but I do have 2 ideas.
Idea 1: I would keep the Casita for you and your wife and buy a used pop up for when you take the grandkids camping. Maybe your children would be willing to pitch in some $$ and use the pop up to camp with you. Rent one & see how it goes.

Idea 2: Sometimes you do what you have to do for a short time in life. Sell the Casita and buy a hybrid like a Jayco Jayfeather where the sides let out. My first camper was a Jayco hybrid and I loved it. Sell it later and go back to fiberglass.

I can barely move in my Scamp when my 2 teenagers and their friends join me. With the pop up or hybrid the kids can be on the ends of the camper instead of under your feet.

Keep it simple because if camping becomes too much work you won't have fun.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Hi,

We sleep extra people in our tow vehicle, which is an old Aerostar minivan with seats that fold down. It makes an extremely confortable bed when a foam mattress is put on the back seats. Could your 4 runner be adapted to fit you?

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
The Escape 19 would fit the bill. The queen (80x60) bed could sleep a few people, and the front dinette (44x80) would fit a couple too. Though a bit tight you could fit the two of you on the dinette and put up to 4 kids on the queen with no problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Boy, would I like an excuse to buy that Escape 19'er, I know momma would buy into that but my 3 older grandkids (my daughters kids) like at least one of their parents (the son inlaw) won't do camping (unless its the Holiday inn) and the youngest one a 13 year old girl who belongs to our son likes camping with us but the parents are divorced and she's on a 50-50 schedule and neither one of the parents will give up their time allotment. Now our youngest son has an 18 month old with another boy due any day now we will have another chance.

Ok back to the subject, I think I would go with the tent camper idea and if the kids get a love for camping through their teens you are very fortunate people and to heck with moulded fiberglass if that should work out. When they jump to the next season in their live then you'll be ready for yours.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
When we bought the Casita there was 1 Grand child....now there are 4!
Will take them for long week-ends, nothing yet longer than 4-5 days. The oldest is now 5.
Looking for suggestions in a quality, light weight TT that our V6 4Runner can handle, that would sleep at least 4, possibly more.
Thanks,
John
Why can't the grandkids sleep in the tent? All kids love tents. Tents give you a feeeling you're on your own, but safety is right next to you.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Why can't the grandkids sleep in the tent? All kids love tents. Tents give you a feeeling you're on your own, but safety is right next to you.
ahhhh, cause the oldest is only 5 years old?? Shoot, I wouldn't even want my 17 y/o daughter sleeping in a tent... but for totally different reasons
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
ahhhh, cause the oldest is only 5 years old?? Shoot, I wouldn't even want my 17 y/o daughter sleeping in a tent... but for totally different reasons
Sadly times have changed , I keep forgetting that.......
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
hmmmmmm.

I think that you may not be thinking this through. Think how much more quieter it will be outside in the tent while granny deals with 4 "I dont want to go to bed" screaming youngins.

The tent may be the best investment you could make!!
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Think how much more quieter it will be outside in the tent while granny deals with 4 "I dont want to go to bed" screaming youngins.
Next thing you know Grandma will be fighting him for the tent spot
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Four folks in one of the FGTs is a challenge, but we opted to view it as an opportunity for all involved.

When we're not shoehorning our entire family of four into the full-size bed of the 13' Compact Jr., the husband and I sleep in the tent outside while our kids (now 6 & 9, but we first did this when they were 5 & 8) sleep in the trailer. They lock themselves in (we keep a key outside with us and they know how to unlock the door as well), then have a hayday in their own "room." We don't worry about bedtime (a TRUE treat for the kids), so they read, draw, talk 'til they decide it's time for lights out. (Late the first night, but then they exhaust themselves and turn out the lights earlier the next night.)

Safety concerns:
Gas - we turn off the propane at the exterior tank so even if a knob gets "accidentally" turned, no one will be injured.
Battery rundown - so what. We can charge it again in the morning if the kids forget to turn it off. Plus, the likelihood of running out of battery overnight on our two-LED-light rig is pretty slim.
Refrigerator suffocation: First of all, we have an ice box, not a fridge, so we don't have to worry about keeping it running. Second, no kid will fit in this thing.
Fire - A fire alarm is installed and the kids know how to open all windows and doors.
Sleepwalking - not an issue...so far.
Strangers - the kids are safer locked in the trailer than they would be on their own in the tent.

Best of luck!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote