I need a 16' Scamp axle - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Name: Julian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I need a 16' Scamp axle

Hello,

I have a 1987 16' Scamp that needs a new axle. I live on the West Coast in Vancouver, Canada, but can cross the border to get it from WA.

From my research I know I need a 3500 lb axle (although my trailer will never weigh more than 2500 lb) with drum brakes and 22 degree down trailing angle. The wheel pattern does not matter, as I have to buy new wheels anyways. I know Scam sells a 3500 lb axle for $460, but I am on a tight budget and need to find something cheaper.

If any forum member has a suitable axle for me, please let me know. Otherwise please direct me to dealers or repair shops in the Washington state close to the Canadian border, who may have and axle for me and possibly do the swap.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
Try Tractor Supply... you can order online as well.

That is what I was originally going to do until my boss told me he'll just repack the bearings for me. He said the old axels are better than the new ones.

(my scamp is a 1977, with a bowed axel instead of a spring system)

Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Call Escape Trailer Industries - they will fix you right up at a price you probable will not find any where else in the lower mainland and they will do it fast and right! Lots of BC'ers using them these days for repairs of all kinds.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Heather, you may also want to try giving Smiley's Inc, 18022 State Route 536
Mount Vernon Washington a call if you really want to cross border shop. They are the Dexter dealer in that area (they supply Camping World up the road with all their axle parts). I cant vouch for their work only know they helped me out with a much needed part last summer while on the road and the BIG guys couldnt help me with so they sent me to Smiley's. It a funky/small shop so cant say how fast they might do it...
Old 10-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I purchasaed a new axle for my Bigfoot from Six Robblees in Portland. they also have a branch in Seattle. They are a wholesale Dexter dealer with lots of inventory. They had everything I needed in stock and were happy to sell directly to me. Take a look at the websight. It is very good and will give you a good idea of what the parts cost. Also in Portland is Potter Webster, another large Dexter dealer. Potter Webster also owns a repair shop in Portland that can install the parts they sell. The shop has some parking spots and you can stay in your trailer in their parking lot when your trailer is being worked on. Not the best place to stay in an industrial district but very convenient. Both companies stock lots of inventory including axles, hubs, brakes and wheels. You'll find some really useful information on both websights.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I purchased the axle for my Scamp from Potter Webster here in Portland. Great people!

Heather, it's nice of your boss to repack the bearings for you. But if the axle is original to the trailer, it's probably dead and needs to be replaced. I think your boss needs an education on torsion axles.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Name: Julian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Thank you for your replies. I got some great tips. Escape is in my neighborhood and Six Robblees have a shop in Bellingham, which is even closer. I contacted both.

So far I have not heard of anyone replacing just the rubber inserts of the original axles. I know they do this in other parts of the world, interesting why it is not done here...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
So far I have not heard of anyone replacing just the rubber inserts of the original axles. I know they do this in other parts of the world, interesting why it is not done here...
Cant say for sure why not but suspect its not to cost effective - read labour costs to do it - and at the end of the day you would still have a rusty old stressed out 25 year old axle which could well decide to fracture or what ever at any time due to that. Also due to the years of use or fatigue the axle may have a camber issue that cant be corrected by simple replacing the rubber inside the axle.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
One of the manufacturers shows how the rubber is put in when they are made. It is compressed then supercooled then inserted. You would need to remove the axle then send it back to the manufacturer to use the equipment. I believe flexride axles use cartridges where you replace the cartridge.
Given the cost and lifespan of an axle ... I mentally equate replacing a torsion axle on a trailer with replacing MacPherson struts in a car. Even more so when you have the bolt on option.

Tags
axle, scamp