I need some help with my NovaKool Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: SAMiAM
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I need some help with my NovaKool Fridge

Hi, I struggling with the best way to set up the batteries on my new aquired Trillium Outback to supply power to the NovaKool fridge. I camp alot in provincial parks and state parks where there is no power and would like a set-up that is worry free. The fridge works great but there is no battery monitor so I don't know the condition of the batteries at any given time. I had two larger batteries from my previous TT and kept them but they don't fit in the battery box and the battery boxes are in a weld frame therefore I can't upgrade to bigger boxes. When I purchased the trailer there was smaller deep cycle battery in one of the boxes already.
I met the previous owner on my first trip(nice suprise!) they said the batteries only lasted the weekend when they were camping in Osoyoos (Canada's only desert and therefore very hot!). I don't mind using a small generator but they are time controlled here in provincial parks and again I don't know when they are fully charged. Solar is questionable for me because we camp in deep forested areas a lot but again I am open to suggestions. What is a easy way to monitor the batteries without asking my rv guy to install something or maybe that might be a good idea? Are there any other NovaKool fridge users with real life experience? Thanks in advance,
SAMiAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hi, we have had a NovaKool in our 13' Scamp, and used a single 100 watt solar panel to keep the battery charged up, and a simple monitor that plugs into a 12 volt receptacle,(I believe we picked it up at Camping World). We now use 200 watts worth of Solar to keep our battery topped off to keep our TruckFridge working, and still only use that simple plug-in monitor from Camping World. We went to 200 watts just in case we have little direct sunlight on our travels.
We do carry a small generator that we have yet to use, just in case.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for your reply. I did a quick google search of camping world and found this...12-Volt Battery Level Indicator - Prime Products 12-2022 - Electrical Monitors & Testers - Camping World idea! The 200 watts in low light...I never heard of that. I will do more research though. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I use this.... Amazon.com: INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor: Automotive Works great.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sam, could you carry more batteries somehow (safely) in your tow vehicle? Those could be charging from your tow when you are out running around away from camp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

British Columbia
Are you suggesting a charger that plugs into a 12v in my TV? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions! Extra batteries are a cheap good idea and I have a home charger so I can easily recharge when I get back. But how safe are they in a vehicle on a hot day...any fumes off gassing?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMiAM View Post
Are you suggesting a charger that plugs into a 12v in my TV? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions! Extra batteries are a cheap good idea and I have a home charger so I can easily recharge when I get back. But how safe are they in a vehicle on a hot day...any fumes off gassing?

If you have a seven pin connection to the trailer one of them is a hot wire. Seems like a connector could be made that would plug in and charge a battery with a little work. Yes (most) batteries off gas when charging. I have a pickup so would not mind carrying a couple of batteries in the back. Maybe in a cheap plastic toolbox (bolted down) so they are out of sight and less likely to be stolen. Don't think I would do it in an enclosed vehicle.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #8

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Extra batteries can be carried in the vehicle if A: They have a vent tube going to the outside of the of the vehicle. Or B: They are sealed AGM batteries. Note there, do not get Gel batteries for this use. They would die nearly instantly from the high amp charging the vehicles alternator would put out. AGM is the best when it comes to PB (Lead) batteries.
While they do have specific charge voltage requirements, they will survive the lower charge voltages in a vehicle easily. The most you would need to do is occasionally hook them to an AGM charger and hit them with 15 volts or so every few months.

As far as charging them, yes you would only need to connect them in parallel to your tow vehicles battery in order to charge them. Lower gauge wire is best for this or the voltage drop will keep them from charging all the way. You can use a battery isolator so that when your fridge runs it won't deplete your tow battery.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #9

British Columbia
Thanks for the input. For now I think I will just carry a extra charged battery in my tow vehicle and problem solve it further down the road.

Tags
fridge