I need to make new cushions for my 13' Scamp - help? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: Celeste
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
NY
I need to make new cushions for my 13' Scamp - help?

Hi,

My renovations are coming along - most of the wiring is complete, and I have reinstalled the water system with all new tubing. I had a carpenter make me a lovely new table out of birch plywood, as well as new covers for the storage holes on the benches. Next I need to make all new cushions. My sister is going to make the cushions and covers for me, but I have to provide her with the patterns. So, I'm going to make patterns by laying down paper, but I would love to see some pictures of what it should look like when the rear dinette is folded down as a bed. Can anyone share these pics?

Thanks!
Celeste

Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #2

NY
I searched through the albums, and I do think I have a better sense now of what the cushions should be like. The bottom cushion, the one you sit on, is just one piece, with a curved corner, and another corner cut off to match the corner of the bench. Then the cushion back, which you lean against, comes in two pieces, which I see are hinged together. The bottom cushion doesn't get moved when you convert the dinette to a bed, and the back cushion is what goes onto the table. Have I got this right? I would still love to see close up pictures, or get any advice anyone has to give, but I do think I am ready to go out to the trailer with paper and get started.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

NY
So, I made one pattern for the bottom pretty easily with craft paper, tape, a pencil, and scissors. After I had it cut out, I checked it, and yes, it was a pretty good match. Then, assuming that the other bench was a mirror image, I just flipped it over and put it on that bench to check it. But the corners are not cut out symmetrically, or are simply not cut out the same, so it does not match. (This strikes me as a design flaw - the cushions should be able to be made from one pattern.) So, now I need to make another for the other side.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
yeah, the bench on the closet side is cut at a steeper angle so it doesn't stick out further than the closet does. not too big of a deal (5x7 angle vs 5x5 on kitchen side but yeah. it would be nice if they matched. just got done sewing the last of my covers last night. hopefully will get the interior ready for a test fit in the next couple of days
Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

NY
Thanks

Okay, so I take it that my description of the way I made the patterns sounds right to you? And how thick of foam should I use? I am assuming that it should be four inches. This will means it goes well above the bottoms of the side windows.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
i did mine a little different, but your way works too. for foam, we cut up a full size ikea mattress we just got a replacement for. it's about 5" thick. i believe i made the back cushions that go over the table 15"x30" and 15"x14". basically measured the width of the table (30") divide by 2 for the height of each side. for the length, made a piece of paper that was the length of the table by the width of the foam and tried to figure out where a good spot for the split would be based on where the wall started curving.

wait... actually now that i think about it, i think i made the total length the same as the bench bottom cushions, not the length of the table which is a bit shorter, with the plan of making a piece of wood to fill the gaps around the curved table edge and angled bench bottoms when the bed is made up. (The fella' is 6'4, so we can use every inch of bed space we can get!)

photos and stuff here, and in posts further in: "Senga" - 1991 Scamp 13' renovation
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #7

Name: Shelley
Trailer: '73 Boler
Vanderhoof, BC
Hmmm, I didn't realize the closet side cushion is cut differently than the other side. Here is a cushion template I found online. Shows measurements, but doesn't include the bunks. The original foam was 4" thick.

Cushion Template

Tags
scamp