I need your thoughts please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
I need your thoughts please

I have posted all over this site and I am sorry. I think I have now figured out a way to make this work for me. We brought home a 13' 1973 Love Bug on Sunday. I have just uploaded a picasa web album. If you have the time to check it out and make sugestions I will be sooo grateful. Windows need work but should I do something with the interior foam skin before I try to re-seat the windows? Where do I start? Will be pecking away a little at a time, just feeling a little overwhelmed.

Now that I have some pics up maybe a better understanding will be had by all.

Floyd offered some good information to me earlier. Please feel free to chime in again.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122327...475631/LOVEBUG
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I know nothing of love bugs but I'd say from the fotos it's pretty much all there and looks darn good at 39. Overwhelmed is better than underwhelmed; means you're seriously engaged. Cleaning/exploration, finding out what works what doesn't, what leaks where or blessedly doesn't--all natural places to start. Maybe it's best to start with serious stuff like frames, axles, brakes, running gear; at least a survey of what's in the offing expense-wise, but you also have to do some of what's familiar to you or gives you joy. You are not alone.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree with making sure it's road worthy, then start checking for the leaky stuff. I would clean, scrub ensolite and live with it till windows are done, leaks repaired etc........ is the coffee cup hooks through the roof?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I'd say from the fotos it's pretty much all there and looks darn good
I would agree with Jack. I don't see anything catastrophically wrong here.
The ensolite isn't "cracked" but the seams are showing, and they're located about where I'd expect to find seams. Bolers and Scamps put tape over the seams. It looks like your previous owner preferred filling the seams with calking. Some like that look and some don't. The little hook is probably causing a leak between the ensolite and the fiberglass beneath it. Could you slice the ensolite open there and see? Totally redoing the interior wall covering is a huge job... I'd try to patch and save as much of the original as possible.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Thank you all for taking the time to give me a shout. Is it possible to patch that Ensolite? would I use new material or take pieces from inside the cabinets..? and I really don't like the way the caulk looks, would tape be less obvious?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Your Love Bug was made by Tri-Fab in Tripoli, Iowa. Some of the history can be found in this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nts-26760.html

Like the Scamp and ECO, they were offshoots of the short lived boler American. It is interesting to note that you have a "flat" front window. Floyd had posted a picture of his 1973 Love Bug with a rounded window here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post188270

Yours also being a 1973 would indicate it was made after the fire at the end of July 1973. I've posted some details of that here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post220962

The tail lights are interesting, I never noticed them before. They are outies rather innies for the lack of a better phrase. I thought it was a mod but see that other Love Bugs have the same.

The front dinette and closet are interesting modifications. The picture of the floor at the hinge side of the door is at a known "weak" area. The body separates at that point due to "body bulge" and is what actually causes the door to come away from the opening at the bottom. I see that a previous owner has tried one of the door fixes to compensate for that.

I agree with Frederick, the seams have been filled. I did both, filled the seams then applied the seam tape then painted. You can see my before and afters here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post174856
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I believe in easy and cheap. I'd clean the interior thoroughly and properly, refill the seam areas, paint the interior... then hide the seams by making them obvious! I really like this look... http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ams-26632.html doesn't haven't be green or plant based... maybe boots and cowboy hats! Whatever theme you go with...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

Florida
Registry
Donna, what a great idea. thanks, that solves my problem. Ill post pics once I get that done. (may be a while)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Take your time Cathy. Crappy seams doesn't mean the trailer isn't usable. Who spends much time inside anyway and most of the time it's with eyes closed and in the dark .

Looking forward to pictures of the solution that works best for you
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote