I think I have the DMV/DOL problem figured out! - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #1

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
As detailed in this post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=23218 I bought my Trailswest Camp in Washington and was worried about the registration as we thought we had 15 days in Washington and I"m not there.

Today I got on the phone with California DMV and Washington DOL. California says no need to do anything until I get back, then I have 20 days.

Washington says no need to do anything at all but don't drive it or park it illegally until it is registered in California.

BIL says he knows a King County Police officer (who can fill out the needed verification form) comes up to use the shooting range nearly every week and can probably do the form. If not he knows a sheriff who is on the volunteer forest fire squad with him who can do it. Ca DMV says make sure they have several copies of the form as no scratch outs are allowed, they have to start over if they make a mistake. Once I have that I can get my permanent registration in California.

BIL also says he parked it up under the carport.

No photos yet, though, as they are on the way to their weekend house in Eastern Washington!

Bobbie

Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Problem solved

Thanks for posting the info Bobbie It may come in handy, search, if any other members run into the same problem

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
One more hint, then, the first person I talked to at the DMV said it could not be done. I asked for her manager, who knew that it could.

Bobbie
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
if you have both Washington AND Cal. DMV figured out.. I am voting for you for president!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Well, I still haven't figured out how to register my boat so its legal! California says it has to be physically in California half the year to be registered here; Washington says it can't be registered there even as a guest registration if it isn't registered in California. So I only have it half-figured out, lol. I sure am looking forward to living in only one state (Washington).

Bobbie
Old 03-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Well, I still haven't figured out how to register my boat so its legal! California says it has to be physically in California half the year to be registered here; Washington says it can't be registered there even as a guest registration if it isn't registered in California. So I only have it half-figured out, lol. I sure am looking forward to living in only one state (Washington).
It looks like you have one of those Catch-22 situations -- Unlike most (but not all!!!) vehicle registrations, the states haven't coordinated boat registrations in a sensible manner.

WA allows you to operate a 'registered elsewhere' boat in WA waters for 60 days without needing a permit -- For periods longer than 60 days, you need to apply for a 60 day permit (before the first 60 days is up) and that permit can be extended for an additional 60 days, so it looks to me as if the maximum time is 119 days in WA, after which time it must be removed from WA waters. One loophole is there is no mention on the site of how long it must be out of WA waters before you can start the clock again. Another is the definition of 'WA waters'; if you put it on a trailer somewhere, what is its status?

Some states/counties have Catch-22 laws for vehicles -- I know in Florida that if a vehicle is in the state for more than 30 days for business purposes (like a commuter), it must be re-registered in Florida (The Tampa PD used to patrol the usual commuter parking lots, making lists and writing citations). Conceivably, a traveling consultant or contract employee could need 12 different sets of titles, driver's licenses, registrations and insurance contracts...
Old 03-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Quote:
WA allows you to operate a 'registered elsewhere' boat in WA waters for 60 days without needing a permit -- For periods longer than 60 days, you need to apply for a 60 day permit (before the first 60 days is up) and that permit can be extended for an additional 60 days, so it looks to me as if the maximum time is 119 days in WA, after which time it must be removed from WA waters. One loophole is there is no mention on the site of how long it must be out of WA waters before you can start the clock again. Another is the definition of 'WA waters'; if you put it on a trailer somewhere, what is its status?
The trick here, though, is that the boat has to be registered elsewhere. The 60 days is no problem, being on a trailer is okay as Washington only requires registration for operating in federal and coastal waters. BUT.. California won't register it unless it is physically in California half the year. And Washington won't register it unless I'm a Washington resident, except with a guest permit. So there is no legal way to keep it in Washington if I ever put it in the water there, other than on a lake. (It's under 16 feet so not required to be registered on a lake.)

So the official word is that it comes back to California with me every fall, and returns to Washington the next summer.

Bobbie
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #8

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I had a comical problem with both Washington AND California DMV.

When my Father passed he lived in Edmonds Wa. (Near Snohomish!)

I brought his car back to California, along with all the proper probate forms, death certifcates etc. that identified me as the rightful inheiritor.

California would not transfer the title into my name unless my name was on a WASHINGTON title.

"But I don't live in Washington, I live in California"
"Thats not our problem. You had to have had the owner have the title transfered in Washington"
"I have no Washington address to transfer it to, and the former owner isn't real good at signing papers anymore"
"Blank stare"
"what part of DEAD don't you understand?"

round and round.. you get the picture.

I called Washington DMV who mumbled something about ridiculous.. but they were nice and "Assigned" me a Washington address on paper (My fathers now vacant apartment) as a favor, gave me a new title, no charge, and I took it to California DMV and got it transfered again, to California.

The Washington DMV lady had a good laugh about this, and told me they have this problem with California all the time.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #9

Washington
Registry
At least the people in Washington were nice about it! They were probably just glad you weren't trying to move to Washington.

They are very suspicious of people like me who go up there for part of the year and claim not to be permanent residents. I spent a sabbatical year there and got stopped by a police officer who wanted to get me for not registering my car in Washington. (I talked him out of citing me.) What bugs me about not registering the boat, though, is that I pay property taxes in the state of Washington so should be able to use that address to register the boat- and I can't because I don't have an in-state DL or ID.

Bobbie
Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #10

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Some states/counties have Catch-22 laws for vehicles -- I know in Florida that if a vehicle is in the state for more than 30 days for business purposes (like a commuter), it must be re-registered in Florida.
I remember something like this from my Active Duty Military days here in California. If you home of residence was elsewhere, but you are stationed in California, you are supposed to re-register your vehicle in California as Non-Resident Military. Many of my ship-mates would not because they came from states where the cars would not meet California's Smog requirements.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Talking

Here is a good one for you about the California DMV.

I bought the Bigfoot in California last Dec. The owner did not have the title for it. It was lost.

We went to the DMV with all of the needed paperwork and they gave me a Cal. title and perminant License plates with my Colorado address on them.

I see no reason to ever change them to Colorado title. Why should I?

Harv in Colo
Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I see no reason to ever change them to Colorado title. Why should I?
Only reason might be if CO law requires the trailer to be registered in CO if it spends much time there, rather than out-of-state, and the CO registration requires a CO title. Many states do require that because they want the revenue from the sales tax, registration, etc.

Tags
license, registration, title