Ice Box to Real Frig - any help?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 81 Perris Pacer / 72 Jeep CJ
We have a Perris Pacer with an ice box & would like to install a real frig. The only speed bump is we would have to cut into the egg to install a vent. Any thoughts or experience to share.

Thanks,

Eve
Eve V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I have not had to cut into the side for a fridge but I have cut the outside to enlarge a small vent to something slightly larger...It was not difficult AT ALL. my advice WEAR A mask the dust is not good for the lungs....measure twice three times...four times if you need. Start small and make it bigger as needed. Good luck maybe somebody with that kind of trailer will take a photo for you!

Quote:
We have a Perris Pacer with an ice box & would like to install a real frig. The only speed bump is we would have to cut into the egg to install a vent. Any thoughts or experience to share.

Thanks,

Eve
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 81 Perris Pacer / 72 Jeep CJ
Thanks Brandy. Yeah, Hubby says cutting into it shouldn't be to tough but before I let him head out with saw in hand, I thought I'd ask the experts. A lot of the egg owners here are very handy!

I think the hole we need for frig vent will be about 8" x 14", so do we have to be concerned with the structural integrity? Are there other parts we'll need like ducting to vent or is just giving the frig ventilation good enough. I've looked at our Pop up and don't see anything special added inside, but that's a whole different breed. Maybe others with a frig already installed in their eggs could post photos for comparison.

As far as our Pacer goes, the frig is set under the kitchen counter, similar to most scamps, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
pacer_014.jpg   pacer_004.jpg  

Eve V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Check out the document center on this site. You'll find all sorts of refer docs.
Find one that at least close to yours and see what they recommend for installation.
You don't want the exhaust from the gas heating process to enter into the camper.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
We have a Perris Pacer with an ice box & would like to install a real frig.
A three-way or just electric... like a dorm frig? Do you have the documentation on the refrig? There should be something about venting in the back, etc. You may want to read the documentation before cutting the hole, you may need to make it bigger... or maybe will make it bigger than it needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Another thread on this board leads one to a good link about proper venting of RV fridges.

Here is the link to proper venting info.

http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/vent.htm
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Eve, the Dometic RM182B out of VW Westphalia's fit nicely. Here's a link that mentions it ... I just replied to it with a link to pictures of how I improved the venting from the install by the previous owner.

Let me know if you want me to walk you through it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote